OT: Off Topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ironically, paying is all set. Figuring out what I want....oy
I stick to Buick Sedans Of Holding myself (as you've seen).

I'd look into getting a truck, except that I can never own one. Because nobody in the family has a truck, and therefore if ever I got one either it or my time would rapidly cease to be my own.

Reactions: PredsV82

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
I've always depended on inexpensive reliable cars, bought Corolla's as a daily driver several times. Always had older truck(s) for farm etc. Currently having a rebuilt Jasper motor etc put in a '89 Ford F 250 because there are times a guy just has to haul full size 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or fence posts in a tank that gets 8 MPG , hope rebuilt gets better mileage.

In '19 I traded a 2015 Corolla with only 45K for the Camry Hybrid XLE with the top trim package, (never had a car with all the bells and whistles possible before) even went up to Georgetown Ky and toured the plant where they are made before I bought it. Most of the parts are American made/sourced and I like buying from our area. I'm really happy with the 44.5 MPG overall mileage (it tracks that data) I've gotten and the smoothest ride I've ever had. If I keep it under 50 MPH around home it gets well over 50 MPG. Only have 13,600 in about 22 months. Had planned on taking several longer vacation trips beginning last March ... well those got COVID-ed for the time being. For my purposes and sensibilities it is hard to think of a better vehicle.

I've also got a '99 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with super aggressive tires for my trips into the mountains and the great single track forest service roads here.

Sometimes you unexpectedly, till you learn to expect it, gotta turn around in small spaces.
I now pack a small chain saw for these day trips. Doesn't everybody?

upload_2021-3-31_14-50-58.png

But it's worth it

upload_2021-3-31_14-51-26.png

upload_2021-3-31_14-52-27.png

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I've always depended on inexpensive reliable cars, bought Corolla's as a daily driver several times. Always had older truck(s) for farm etc. Currently having a rebuilt Jasper motor etc put in a '89 Ford F 250 because there are times a guy just has to haul full size 4 x 8 sheets of plywood or fence posts in a tank that gets 8 MPG , hope rebuilt gets better mileage.

In '19 I traded a 2015 Corolla with only 45K for the Camry Hybrid XLE with the top trim package, (never had a car with all the bells and whistles possible before) even went up to Georgetown Ky and toured the plant where they are made before I bought it. Most of the parts are American made/sourced and I like buying from our area. I'm really happy with the 44.5 MPG overall mileage (it tracks that data) I've gotten and the smoothest ride I've ever had. If I keep it under 50 MPH around home it gets well over 50 MPG. Only have 13,600 in about 22 months. Had planned on taking several longer vacation trips beginning last March ... well those got COVID-ed for the time being. For my purposes and sensibilities it is hard to think of a better vehicle.

I've also got a '99 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with super aggressive tires for my trips into the mountains and the great single track forest service roads here.

Sometimes you unexpectedly, till you learn to expect it, gotta turn around in small spaces.
I now pack a small chain saw for these day trips. Doesn't everybody?

View attachment 415394

But it's worth it

View attachment 415395

View attachment 415397
Yeah that's one reason we like the Subaru it was built in Indiana. They also were building a bunch of the Camry's too until they needed the capacity themselves. I miss my small truck, put nearly 200k miles on my 96 Nissan Hardbody. Couldn't kill that thing. Ended up selling it because I needed to put a bunch of work into it and didn't really want to mess with it ( overheating issue, new battery, etc. ) Guy came by and offered me 500 bucks as it sat so I let him have it. Told him it would probably get him where he was going but not to stop too long or run slow for long. It would run 55 and stay at an ok temp. Also told him that if it blew up on the way home not to call me, just haul it to the junk yard and I would give him back the difference in what he gave me and they paid him for it.

Reactions: FossilFndr

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I drove a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer for...gosh, years. I got it in 2009--had been my dad's prior to that and he bought it used in 2003 I think. It was still drivable, but I was just ready for a change. I do miss having a spot for big items so if you're needing to haul furniture or large equipment it's probably a good idea to go bigger than the Mazda. There is a lot of room for stuff in the trunk, as long as it isn't really tall. I usually drive around with 30 gal garbage sacks full of "art supplies" (aka trash) to give to a daycare when I'm over that way. 2 or 3 fit with plenty of room to spare. The Mazda I got was used but had very few miles on it. I don't drive a lot of miles--3 years later and there's less than 30K, of course pandemic has helped with that. We found it on the internet and drove to Kentucky in the snow to get it. Thank goodness it was what I wanted. Would have hated to drive that far just to turn back around.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Tax return + stimulus = New GIANT 4k television and Flyers vs Sabres right now looks incredible, it's halfway like being in the arena.

Bonus: Kids get the old TV and can now entertain themselves with Disney+/Hulu/Netflix

Liar. I'm guessing Flyers vs Sabers looks like dog shit. Really, nice, high definition, up close dogshit... but still dog shit. On ice.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK: car rant from ol' BFC. WHAT THE f*** USA MANUFACTURERS? I WANT A 4 DOOR SEDAN, WITH 4WD/AWD, AND CLIMATE CONTROL. HOW THE f*** HARD IS THAT???? BUICK, SUVs. AND YALL WONDER WHY YOU ARE OFFERING 22% OFF YOUR 2020'S. 22% OFF SHIT IS STILL SHIT! FORD, A f***ING MUSTANG IS NOT A SEDAN. CHEVY, FWD, YOU TRIED....I GUESS. I'M LOOKING AT f***ING BMW's NOW. BM f***ING W'S!!!!!!!!!!!! f*** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
OK: car rant from ol' BFC. WHAT THE f*** USA MANUFACTURERS? I WANT A 4 DOOR SEDAN, WITH 4WD/AWD, AND CLIMATE CONTROL. HOW THE f*** HARD IS THAT???? BUICK, SUVs. AND YALL WONDER WHY YOU ARE OFFERING 22% OFF YOUR 2020'S. 22% OFF SHIT IS STILL SHIT! FORD, A f***ING MUSTANG IS NOT A SEDAN. CHEVY, FWD, YOU TRIED....I GUESS. I'M LOOKING AT f***ING BMW's NOW. BM f***ING W'S!!!!!!!!!!!! f*** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!
Which are built in the US.

Here is the thing, most US manufacturers are no longer built in the US. If you want to support US works buy foreign lol. Subaru, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, and Hyundai are all built in the US now.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Which are built in the US.

Here is the thing, most US manufacturers are no longer built in the US. If you want to support US works buy foreign lol. Subaru, Toyota, BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, and Hyundai are all built in the US now.

I'm down to Toyota, Nissan, Suburu.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Just curious- what TV did you get?

70" TCL Roku. It replaced an old Westinghouse 42# lcd that was like 16 years old and had an awful screen burn problem, watching hockey it was like the ice was gray and a 30" TCL roku which I love, but was too small for hockey and is now in the kids room. I know it's a pretty cheap/low end line, but I'm not a TV tech junkie so I like the ease of functionality. At first I wasn't thrilled with the audio since it would get out of sync when watching the cable box (not while streaming), but I figured out how to fix that and have enjoyed it ever since.

I've got a 40" TCL android in the bedroom that is also good, but I don't like the menu as much as the Roku version, although the remote has voice (through google assistant) which is a plus.

Reactions: drwpreds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
70" TCL Roku. It replaced an old Westinghouse 42# lcd that was like 16 years old and had an awful screen burn problem, watching hockey it was like the ice was gray and a 30" TCL roku which I love, but was too small for hockey and is now in the kids room. I know it's a pretty cheap/low end line, but I'm not a TV tech junkie so I like the ease of functionality. At first I wasn't thrilled with the audio since it would get out of sync when watching the cable box (not while streaming), but I figured out how to fix that and have enjoyed it ever since.

I've got a 40" TCL android in the bedroom that is also good, but I don't like the menu as much as the Roku version, although the remote has voice (through google assistant) which is a plus.
I have a 52" TCL 4k Roku. Only issue we've had is sometimes it doesn't like to connect but I think we have that figured out now as well.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

The USA car companies have finally accepted that they cant compete with Toyota and Honda. Ford only makes trucks, SUVs and the Mustang any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln