OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
o0iot79.jpg

Very classy. This made me happy. Thank you, Canada. ::Elbow bump::

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
First I just want to thank the HF Bruins community as we all struggle with what is going on. Believe me the GDT's of the Classic Bruins games has helped me as for a couple of hours a day I can forget what is happening.

We already have a thread on the virus but how is everyone dealing with our lives on hold? 2 1/2 weeks into this I am going stir crazy.

Stay safe everyone.
Well Kevin one of the people to help us the most is YOU !

At least you are in a good place.

STAY HEALTHY ! We need you !

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Im having pizza delivered tonight. Just needed a break.
My neighbor sent me a text and wants to come over to continue watching GOT this weekend. . We are going to order a pizza.

I feel lucky to be able to work from home. I am not sure how long it will be because the factory I support has many employees taking time out (they cannot work from home) and if they close I will not have work.

It is difficult to not feel very sad with all that is going on.

This place helps.

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully in a few months things will improve.

My heart goes out to everyone affected . Sending hugs to all of you.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Always trying to stay positive. But it is hard. Do the things we must to stay afloat. We have our health, kids, wife, dogs... The weather is getting better. But I’ve been furloughed for 13 weeks and my commissions are held. Better than no job. I think I’ve got to sell my classic Jeep (51 cj3a for you motorheads).

w that said, Lonnie, I’ve got to start charging now. I can’t keep doing it for free.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Always trying to stay positive. But it is hard. Do the things we must to stay afloat. We have our health, kids, wife, dogs... The weather is getting better. But I’ve been furloughed for 13 weeks and my commissions are held. Better than no job. I think I’ve got to sell my classic Jeep (51 cj3a for you motorheads).

w that said, Lonnie, I’ve got to start charging now. I can’t keep doing it for free.

Reactions: LSCII

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
So I watched the USS Constitution tour while eating a PB&J sandwich and drinking a Coke. I felt like I was back on an eighth grade field trip. It was fun. :)

Also, who knew "buttload" was an actual technical measurement?! :laugh:
Being a Navy guy who loves history, I did, but I'm probably in the minority. Follow up - do you know the actual amount in a butt?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have a massive cribbage winning streak going.

My wife; my brother in law (who is staying with us till he finds a new place to live); and my mom (who isn’t terribly mobile, and I’ve been helping out since her hip surgery in January) have all been losing to me - and losing big. I’ve been playing about a dozen games a week and haven’t lost since the beginning of March.

So, I have a question for any cribbage players here: have any of you ever seen or had a 29-point hand?

I’ve come close with 28. Three fives and the queen of spades in my hand, and the five of spades as the turn-card. SO CLOSE!!!

Yes, just once. When I was young I used to play crib with my grandfather. I still remember the one precious time I landed a 29 - three 5s and a jack in hand, I think of spades. And then the miracle - the turn card was a 5 of spades! Cue the celebrations!! I've never been the luckiest card player, so that highlight has never been repeated. I also don't play much anymore, but perhaps this shutdown period is a good reason to get back into it.

Keep playing, you never know when it might happen!

Reactions: rfournier103

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I will definitely be back to work early in order to watch this!!!! I've always wanted to go there.

Definitely worth a visit. Great history that you can actually touch and immerse yourself in, and even better for still being a commissioned vessel with a working crew.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
My neighbor sent me a text and wants to come over to continue watching GOT this weekend. . We are going to order a pizza.

I feel lucky to be able to work from home. I am not sure how long it will be because the factory I support has many employees taking time out (they cannot work from home) and if they close I will not have work.

It is difficult to not feel very sad with all that is going on.

This place helps.

Stay safe everyone. Hopefully in a few months things will improve.

My heart goes out to everyone affected . Sending hugs to all of you.

Posters like Ladyfan and Fenway contribute a great deal to this board.

Many, many others do as well, each in their own way.

Thanks to all.

Let's stick together, if from a safe remove. ;-)

Reactions: BMC and Ladyfan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Canadians are a classy sort.

I love Canada and one of its greatest gifts to the world, the game of hockey.

I never have anything bad to say about the country or its citizens. The best I can do is the Quebec distaste for non-franco phones and even that is mild.
I happen to be only 4 generations American. Before that was Canadien and then French further.

In the midst of all that they are dealing with themselves, it's very poignant to hear that from the Canadian armed forces. Unexpected.
I wish we had said the same to them amidst all this.

Way to be the example.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Wow, executives at my organization are all taking cuts or in some cases not taking a salary, in efforts to cut the need for more furloughs.

I am floored, and so so f***ing grateful
The leaders at my company took a 30% pay cut.

My hours were reduced to a 4 day work schedule and my pay was cut 20% but knowing the leaders also cut their salary plus are paying the insurance premiums for our furloughed staff makes me feel really good about working for the company.

Grateful indeed

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Just dropping in to say "Hello." I read the board every day, just haven't had anything to post.

I'm coping OK. I've been able to do some business via Skype, and groceries are holding out.

Been listening to Lou Rawls and Teddy Pendergrass.

I checked the mail for the first time this week, and it was stuffed with angry cards about not filling out the census - woops! So I just did that.

Wish I had something more interesting to write.

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
Struggling a little bit at the moment. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that my mam has cancer for the second time in three years. They were then informed last week that the prognosis this time is not so good. The reality is she is probably looking at no more than six months. We are all obviously devastating but what makes it so much worse is because of the current situation my siblings or I or all the grandkids can't go anywhere near her. We haven't seen her for the last month and know that we won't get to spend any time with her either for the foreseeable future! I just hope she lasts long enough until such a time as we get back to some sense of normality so that we can all spend time with her and let her know how much we love her and how great a mother and grandmother she has been.

**** cancer and **** this virus.

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Struggling a little bit at the moment. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that my mam has cancer for the second time in three years. They were then informed last week that the prognosis this time is not so good. The reality is she is probably looking at no more than six months. We are all obviously devastating but what makes it so much worse is because of the current situation my siblings or I or all the grandkids can't go anywhere near her. We haven't seen her for the last month and know that we won't get to spend any time with her either for the foreseeable future! I just hope she lasts long enough until such a time as we get back to some sense of normality so that we can all spend time with her and let her know how much we love her and how great a mother and grandmother she has been.

I'm so sorry to hear that. My mother passed away from cancer when I was just 21 so I can certainly empathise. It's a horrible thing as it is without the current situation making it that much worse. I hope your mum can hang in there as long as possible and somehow there are ways soon that you and your family can spend time with her. Strength, best wishes and a bit of that Irish pluck and courage to you, your mum and loved ones.

Reactions: Mr Irish

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

Holding the space for all of you. Just unimaginable.

Reactions: Mr Irish

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

my heart goes out to you.
We are going through same here. My mom has stage 4 liver cancer. Only a matter of time. My sister , thats being treated for lung cancer, is living with mom and trying to take care of her. what a cluster f***.
Thank God my other sister lives close by them and can get them food and medicines for now.

Reactions: sooshii and Ladyfan

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I feel really badly for those that are out of work or will lose jobs or businesses because of this. It's certainly unfair and trying to say the least.

My program obviously doesn't close -- ever, which is good because we're providing for some very vulnerable kids, but the staff are really feeling it right now.

24/7 care for 150+ kids with emotional and behavioral challenges takes it's toll. People are working 10 - 24 hour shifts only to come back 20 hours later and do it again.

Most aren't complaining because they are happy to have jobs and in all honesty, right now they have the ability to make as much money as they want through overtime, but it's still a grueling time for them.

Being in management, I'm no longer allowed to go onto the various floors where the kids and staff are, which is really hard for me. In normal times I'm at work by 7:30 a.m. and I walk through each unit almost every day, checking in with staff and kids and lending a hand if I'm needed. I do the same thing in the afternoon and in the fall I run our intra-mural soccer league so I have more contact with the kids and staff than any of the other managers.

I'll always be a direct care worker at heart and I really miss seeing the kids.

I can't give the direct care staff enough credit right now though. Just an amazing group of people that I'm very proud of!

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
my heart goes out to you.
We are going through same here. My mom has stage 4 liver cancer. Only a matter of time. My sister , thats being treated for lung cancer, is living with mom and trying to take care of her. what a cluster f***.
Thank God my other sister lives close by them and can get them food and medicines for now.

Jeez Wally that's awful.
Fingers crossed for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad