OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
First I just want to thank the HF Bruins community as we all struggle with what is going on. Believe me the GDT's of the Classic Bruins games has helped me as for a couple of hours a day I can forget what is happening.

We already have a thread on the virus but how is everyone dealing with our lives on hold? 2 1/2 weeks into this I am going stir crazy.

Stay safe everyone.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Got hit with a very hard wind & rainstorm at 5am, nothing like being woken up by the sound of what seems to be a train going past your front door.

No damage, just wet and bluster.

Any sighted tornados?
Not sure, I fell asleep right after it went through and only woke up just a few minutes ago lol

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
So, hope this doesn’t sound morbid, but taking time to get some things in order. Reviewing with hubby where to find all my passwords. Getting the combination to the safe (hubby usually does all the opening). Taking a look at the will and advance directives to make sure everything is still up to date. Going through the emergency bag (found some masks). Learning how to use the blood pressure cuff and practicing using the thermometer (bought one of those ear ones a while ago, but never had occasion to use it). I bought one of those pulse oxygen finger things (eBay), but haven’t received it yet. Making sure we have enough batteries - still very much available on Amazon.

Oh and cleaning my house like crazy. Washing mattress pad and pillows. Disinfecting mattress with Lysol. Disinfecting all the switch plates, doorknobs, handles, remotes, devices....

trying not to watch too much news.

Eating healthy, exercising , getting fresh air and sleep. My favorite folk singer is having FB live concerts several times a week. They give me peace & joy.

What did I miss?

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Last night was difficult.

Fiancé is having trouble sleeping. Nightmares.

Her dad has Alzheimer’s and is high risk.
Can’t visit with him.

I’ve been doing a lot of lifting and running.
Trying to focus on the fact that there are others much worse of than I.

Lots of time for prayer and reflection.

Lots of music.

Doing all I can to help and supports those in need with kind words and financial contributions, as small as they may be with a teacher’s salary.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Last night was difficult.

Fiancé is having trouble sleeping. Nightmares.

Her dad has Alzheimer’s and is high risk.
Can’t visit with him.

I’ve been doing a lot of lifting and running.
Trying to focus on the fact that there are others much worse of than I.

Lots of time for prayer and reflection.

Lots of music.

Doing all I can to help and supports those in need with kind words and financial contributions, as small as they may be with a teacher’s salary.

I’m afraid for my parents in VA as well. Mom has Parkinson’s and is not eating very much. I had Dad get some Ensure, hoping that would help. They have a home health worker who comes to the house 4-5 time a week. She works days in a nursing home, so that’s scary. But they couldn’t make it without Marie.

Mom had been hallucinating and agitated (not uncommon). Dad found Andy Griffin streaming, and that calmed her down.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1585492136716.jpg
Celebration-Cookies-3-of-5.jpg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
massive adjustments for all of us for sure I would say. I think most of us likely have a daily routine and that routine is most likely completely turned upside down and when change occurs, it can present challenges.

Top that off with economic insecurities like layoffs (which I received), uncertainty about employment down the road, limited social activities and it simply has the ability to add a tremendous amount of stress to a situation

While my wife and I love spending time together, we are also the kind of couple who have different interests and hobbies and it`s not unusual for the two of us to have a day off together with the day being our "alone" time if you will, this usually means I hit the golf course, she hits the gym or goes out for coffee with friends then we enjoy a nice dinner together and relax the rest of the evening so I know we are both missing that element.

We still try to give one another space, we have been on our phones a ton keeping in touch with many of our family and friends. I have been using Zoom a ton to attend my "gatherings" which many here know what I`m speaking of.

Lot`s of unknowns, lot`s of real concerns but I try to look at only the things I am in control of, not those which I am not

Be safe, be well friends

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
So, hope this doesn’t sound morbid, but taking time to get some things in order. Reviewing with hubby where to find all my passwords. Getting the combination to the safe (hubby usually does all the opening). Taking a look at the will and advance directives to make sure everything is still up to date. Going through the emergency bag (found some masks). Learning how to use the blood pressure cuff and practicing using the thermometer (bought one of those ear ones a while ago, but never had occasion to use it). I bought one of those pulse oxygen finger things (eBay), but haven’t received it yet. Making sure we have enough batteries - still very much available on Amazon.

Oh and cleaning my house like crazy. Washing mattress pad and pillows. Disinfecting mattress with Lysol. Disinfecting all the switch plates, doorknobs, handles, remotes, devices....

trying not to watch too much news.

Eating healthy, exercising , getting fresh air and sleep. My favorite folk singer is having FB live concerts several times a week. They give me peace & joy.

What did I miss?

I think this is good practice even when not in emergency situations. Trevor and I reviewed Will docs a few months ago--he travels, so it only makes sense. Thanks for the reminder Soosh.

we are ok here. Grateful we can both work from home. Checking on my 80 yr old mom in Mass who says she is walking 2-3 miles everyday so she doesn't go stir crazy and "stays in shape". Meanwhile the Mr. is working on house projects and we are perfecting the lemon meringue pie recipe. I take in info and distribute info all day at work...so trying to watch my mental health and not absorb too much :(
(fyi my boss still thinks this is all a big joke and that car accidents are more dangerous)

The government is in chaos in AZ....the top Emergency Management official resigned yesterday amid talks that the Governor is consulting aides and not his top team. It's a mess.

Staying in gratitude and hoping you all are safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: GordonHowe

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Started listening to my true crime podcasts again and while it may sound morbid to some, they are trying to cover cases with happy endings which is appreciative. It also helps bring some normalcy back.

I’ve also started to go through and listen to the audiobooks in my collection that have been collecting dust a bit. I recommend Anna Kendrick’s book. She’s hilarious.

I’be been cleaning as well and am current procrastinating on my vacuuming mostly because I absolutely hate it.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Doing OK.... (hudson valley NY 100 miles north of city)

It's frustrating the amount of people who don't get it....

My wife is a veterinarian...they have a sign on the door to not come in the building, they will come outside. One guy and his son come in....they ask him please go outside. He tells them they are all overreacting.....I told her they should have said well if we are wrong, no big deal....but if you are wrong you can kill someone

Even my daughter....she wants to go to Mass outside of Boston to visit her BF....had a fit when I told her no

My Mom is 87 and lives in a small town hours away near Binghamton. Her sister brings her what she needs.

Only good thing for us is we are both considered essential, so cash flow hasn't been depleted (yet), at least my wife is salary

Food is OK in grocery stores, but I drove by a store and there had to be 200 cars in the lot.....come on people...
Weird things....no ketchup, no mustard, no soy sauce....

Lots of restaurants now doing take out and delivery

But still no TP anywhere

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I am doing great, however I am very disappointed that my sons graduation at the Royal Military College in Kingston Ontario is cancelled. I was really looking forward to the graduation parade. He is now driving to Victoria BC with six other classmates. They ran into ice rain/sleet today so there are dangerous conditions in northern Ontario. They stopped for a break at White River. I can’t wait until they get home.

Reactions: sarge88

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'm still working- my office is a 10 second or less walk from my apartment. not letting the public in the office they can leave docs/payments in the overnight box in the entry way. I'm not calling on clients or prospective clients. Luckily I can do a lot of customer service over the phone or by email.

I listen/watch the news once in the morning & once at night to stay updated. Otherwise I stay away- listening/watching these idiots all the time is just a recipe for anxiety & depression to deepen. Don't they realize that keeping up hysteria and panic is irresponsible???

I go for my walk at night when the weather is good & continue to try to watch my diet although I know I have been comfort eating lately. Watching classic hockey & baseball on tv. Reading a lot. Looking after my mom who is rocking her self quarantine. Worrying about my sister who works in a hospital. Worrying about one of my tenants and a friend who also work in hospitals. Praying for all of us.

Well that's my story.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I can’t complain about anything in contrast to those that aren’t working or aren’t well.

Minor inconveniences are annoying...no sports, stuck inside most of the time, but both my wife and I are “working”.

The other managers and I are rotating days so we’re not there at the same time. I worked Monday - Wednesday last week and will go in again this Thursday & Friday and then Monday - Wednesday of next week.

Meetings from home for much of the next three days. Eating too much, cleaning a lot and lots of social networking via iPad.

Reactions: Kovi

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
Had a couple of small meltdowns but all is okay....I want to just get out of town for a belated birthday trip but no dice....we get a couple of grocery shopping days a week so cabin fever isn't too bad....puppers keeping me entertained and busy.... cleaning off the DVR too...

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I am a 103 electrician. Got laid off about a week and a half ago. Been with my company for 8 years, hopefully I can get back with them when the world returns to normal, but the economic outlook has my hair turning gray faster than it should. Luckily my wife is considered essential. The mental health field is absolutely necessary right now. So she has some job security.

I have been mostly working around the house. Just bought in January and it needs some serious updating. So that’s what’s been keeping me busy.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's a bit weird for me as my life is still semi-normal. I work in emergency services so 5 days a week I go to work and it's much the same as always. A significant chunk of it is taken up by one topic, but otherwise it's fairly BAU.

But then I go home and there's nothing much else going on, and weekends are very quiet. Which is not entirely unpleasant, just a bit dull. So the difference between work and home is really marked.

I have no reason to be particularly afraid of the virus itself for myself or any close loved ones, so it's really just a case of carrying on, taking sensible precautions, using the extra time to read and play music a bit more, and waiting it out.

Reactions: BMC and sooshii

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
It's a bit weird for me as my life is still semi-normal. I work in emergency services so 5 days a week I go to work and it's much the same as always. A significant chunk of it is taken up by one topic, but otherwise it's fairly BAU.

But then I go home and there's nothing much else going on, and weekends are very quiet. Which is not entirely unpleasant, just a bit dull. So the difference between work and home is really marked.

I have no reason to be particularly afraid of the virus itself for myself or any close loved ones, so it's really just a case of carrying on, taking sensible precautions, using the extra time to read and play music a bit more, and waiting it out.
I have been listening to an Australian and a New Zealand Rock radio station quite often in the past year on my Sonos system. It has introduced me to a great variety of music I never heard before and I am surprised at how much Canadian music they play. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad