OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Struggling a little bit at the moment. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that my mam has cancer for the second time in three years. They were then informed last week that the prognosis this time is not so good. The reality is she is probably looking at no more than six months. We are all obviously devastating but what makes it so much worse is because of the current situation my siblings or I or all the grandkids can't go anywhere near her. We haven't seen her for the last month and know that we won't get to spend any time with her either for the foreseeable future! I just hope she lasts long enough until such a time as we get back to some sense of normality so that we can all spend time with her and let her know how much we love her and how great a mother and grandmother she has been.

**** cancer and **** this virus.
So sorry to read this news about your Mother. Sending a hug from New England.

We are here for you if you need to vent.

Reactions: Mr Irish

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I feel really badly for those that are out of work or will lose jobs or businesses because of this. It's certainly unfair and trying to say the least.

My program obviously doesn't close -- ever, which is good because we're providing for some very vulnerable kids, but the staff are really feeling it right now.

24/7 care for 150+ kids with emotional and behavioral challenges takes it's toll. People are working 10 - 24 hour shifts only to come back 20 hours later and do it again.

Most aren't complaining because they are happy to have jobs and in all honesty, right now they have the ability to make as much money as they want through overtime, but it's still a grueling time for them.

Being in management, I'm no longer allowed to go onto the various floors where the kids and staff are, which is really hard for me. In normal times I'm at work by 7:30 a.m. and I walk through each unit almost every day, checking in with staff and kids and lending a hand if I'm needed. I do the same thing in the afternoon and in the fall I run our intra-mural soccer league so I have more contact with the kids and staff than any of the other managers.

I'll always be a direct care worker at heart and I really miss seeing the kids.

I can't give the direct care staff enough credit right now though. Just an amazing group of people that I'm very proud of!
You are a good one . I always knew it.

So far I am able to work from home because my company is deemed necessary but many of the folks who work in the manufacturing area are starting to stay out . I don't blame them at all. I am wondering how long before there are too few people to stay open.

My heart breaks for you folks (Wally and others) that have parents and family who are already ill. It makes a terrible situation so much worse when you cannot visit.

Take care everyone. It helps that we are here for each other but this is tough.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Just dropping in to say "Hello." I read the board every day, just haven't had anything to post.

I'm coping OK. I've been able to do some business via Skype, and groceries are holding out.

Been listening to Lou Rawls and Teddy Pendergrass.

I checked the mail for the first time this week, and it was stuffed with angry cards about not filling out the census - woops! So I just did that.

Wish I had something more interesting to write.
It is nice to hear from you.

Reactions: Aeroforce

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Struggling a little bit at the moment. It was confirmed a few weeks ago that my mam has cancer for the second time in three years. They were then informed last week that the prognosis this time is not so good. The reality is she is probably looking at no more than six months. We are all obviously devastating but what makes it so much worse is because of the current situation my siblings or I or all the grandkids can't go anywhere near her. We haven't seen her for the last month and know that we won't get to spend any time with her either for the foreseeable future! I just hope she lasts long enough until such a time as we get back to some sense of normality so that we can all spend time with her and let her know how much we love her and how great a mother and grandmother she has been.

my heart goes out to you.
We are going through same here. My mom has stage 4 liver cancer. Only a matter of time. My sister , thats being treated for lung cancer, is living with mom and trying to take care of her. what a cluster f***.
Thank God my other sister lives close by them and can get them food and medicines for now.
My heart goes out to both of you. What awful situations.
My prayers for all of you in this very awful time. :(

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Now I remember the biggest reason I hate moving.

It's not packing.

It's having to change your address on eleventy billion different accounts and jumping through different hoops for all of them. Why does it have to be so difficult?

One I tried to do online, their system didn't make sense, I called them today and they said they can't do it over the phone. She at least explained what they were looking for online.

I went to the website of my renter's insurance company to change my policy to the new apartment, only to be told I have to speak to an agent. So I call and after progressing through multiple menus, I get "We are experiencing a high volume of calls. Please try again later" and then they disconnected me.

:pullhair:

On the bright side, at least I have plenty of time to work through all this stuff since I'm home.... :dunno:

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Now I remember the biggest reason I hate moving.

It's not packing.

It's having to change your address on eleventy billion different accounts and jumping through different hoops for all of them. Why does it have to be so difficult?

One I tried to do online, their system didn't make sense, I called them today and they said they can't do it over the phone. She at least explained what they were looking for online.

I went to the website of my renter's insurance company to change my policy to the new apartment, only to be told I have to speak to an agent. So I call and after progressing through multiple menus, I get "We are experiencing a high volume of calls. Please try again later" and then they disconnected me.

:pullhair:

On the bright side, at least I have plenty of time to work through all this stuff since I'm home.... :dunno:
Hang in there!

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk

Irish. Truly sorry to hear the news. No real answer for this aside cherish every moment and memory that is there to take. Thoughts and good tidings are with you.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
We are going through same here. My mom has stage 4 liver cancer. Only a matter of time. My sister , thats being treated for lung cancer, is living with mom and trying to take care of her. what a cluster f***.
Thank God my other sister lives close by them and can get them food and medicines for now.
Shit man, didn't know or make the connection for the sister. Not worth a cent on the dollar but my daughter's godfather was told 3 months with dual tracht lung cancer. Name was Alain. He made it for 6 years and had a whole raft of experiences and impacts on those around him, including us. As much as we would have taken 40 more years of those they weren't lost. Nothing exists but the moment we live in, each passing breath, so it's all what we do with each of those moments that matters. I truly wish your family the best in these challenging times and take care.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

So sorry to hear this. In times like this, a hug, a touch, any sort of contact is really needed, and i can only imagine the anguish on everyone's part. Best wishes for strength for you and your family.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Same Wally. I can't imagine what you're going through. Just know we are out here sending you prayers and good wishes.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

So sorry.
What a sad scary time this is.

:heart:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It's 1:00 am, I am wide awake but trying to fall asleep, and the fire alarm in my new apartment below me is chirping every ten seconds. Since that apartment is currently empty, the sound is echoing. :help:

I do not yet have keys to that apartment but am considering sledgehammering through the floor to get to it. As a bonus, I can simply push all the furniture and boxes through the hole and be done with the move altogether.

download (10).jpeg

I NEED SLEEP

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
It's 1:00 am, I am wide awake but trying to fall asleep, and the fire alarm in my new apartment below me is chirping every ten seconds. Since that apartment is currently empty, the sound is echoing. :help:

I do not yet have keys to that apartment but am considering sledgehammering through the floor to get to it. As a bonus, I can simply push all the furniture and boxes through the hole and be done with the move altogether.

View attachment 340381

I NEED SLEEP
Oh no. Hope Daisy is ok. That’s the one thing that freaks Furley out.

Reactions: Kovi

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I love the NFL & NHL drafts and between NFL Network, ESPN football shows, guides, and the internet I’ve started watching tons of prospects. I love this hobby and I’m lucky I can lose myself hours doing this. I feel like I’m part of Tua Taguvailoa family.

Next week there are a bunch of draft shows on to keep me busy

if we are still stuck inside in May I’ll go all in on the top 100 NHL prospects

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
When this is passed I want to get back to hiking and trails. Getting tired of treadmill.

Anybody own a Tilley hat?
What do you think if so?
Im think of treating myself.

yeah dont go now. tbey are all packed beyond belief. what did people do before on weekends?? i mean my usual weekend was going to the trails but now its too crowded.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
As much as I joke about quarantine food and getting out of shape, I am actually in better shape now than I was three weeks ago (not that that takes much). I've gotten in a lot of walking and fresh air and Vitamin D and have actually lost a couple pounds. Can't say I'm really eating any healthier, but I'm doing well on the exercise/activity front. I think my Fitbit is going to report itself as stolen. :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Figured out why my subwoofer hasn’t been thumping the last six months. The pin in the cheapo patch cable i bought snapped off INSIDE the female end of the enclosure. Now i see why the cable was $6. I’ll grab one at Walmart next time i need groceries

Wrestlemania tonight. Kinda. Normally we do a pretty big party but instead we are gonna all watch from our own homes and connect via Zoom. Best we can do.

on the menu tonight are shaved steak and cheddar sandos on onion rolls, maybe some veggies/pasta with it.

probably gonna go for a walk momentarily

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
yeah dont go now. tbey are all packed beyond belief. what did people do before on weekends?? i mean my usual weekend was going to the trails but now its too crowded.

Thanks.
The Bride gave me Amazon gift cards for my bday. So I ordered me a Tilley hat. Never spent so much before on a hat but what the hell. I aint gonna live forever and need something outdoors to look forward to I guess.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Thanks.
The Bride gave me Amazon gift cards for my bday. So I ordered me a Tilley hat. Never spent so much before on a hat but what the hell. I aint gonna live forever and need something outdoors to look forward to I guess.

When you consider how often you’ll wear it, and the sun it keeps off your neck and face, the price really isn’t that bad. If you can pull off the look (i certainly can’t) then i think it’s a great buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad