OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I really wish I could get a freaking call back for an interview and get a job.

I'm so tired of the "After careful consideration..." blah blah blah.

I'm so worn down with watching my son since my wife just went back to work last week, being home 24/7 because of COVID, and being unemployed. Don't get me wrong, I can see the silver lining with being able to be home with my son all the time, but enough is enough.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
One of the best days I ever had was last Memorial Day on the Midway in San Diego.
They had aircraft and pilots from back as far as Korea onboard.
I stayed hours listening to their stories . I could have stayed days to be honest.

View attachment 345039
I got to go with my grandfather to one of the Yorktown reunions down in Charleston. It was right after 9/11 (I remember because my mother was freaked out about us flying down) and I was in 9th grade. There were probably still 80-100 guys that came in back then, it was an incredible experience. I've always wanted to go back. He was a radio man and was involved in a lot of major engagements (still couldn't handle fireworks til the day he died, the concussion would give him flashbacks to the AA guns). He could talk for hours too and I was one of the few curious enough to sit and listen in the family.

Starting back when I was born (he retired the same year) he start recording memoirs on tape and there are 3 hours on his WWII experience (the tapes cover his whole life, he was big in the telephone workers union post war through retirement, so a the bulk of the 20ish hours focuses on that stuff). I'm so glad he did that, and my uncle figured out how to digitize them after he passed, giving all of us copies on USB drives. I still listen through them from time to time; nice to hear his voice again.

It's something I've encouraged my father to do as he's had an incredible life (starting as a little kid in Ukraine during WWII; he had me at 50) but he hasn't started yet. Would love to have something similar, maybe it's time to pull out the old emotional blackmail while we're all sheltering at home...

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Found this funny and depressing, google tracking takes away home and work automatically.

WefbrI8.jpg

That was my April, home, work and occasionally the place I visited, Stop and Shop which is between work and home.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
i have slept a total of 6 hours since sunday.
between this crap going on, stuff i want to fix around the house, allergies, poison ivy. i just cant sleep.
sunday nite i didnt sleep at all because it was too hot. last 2 dsys was throat was so itchy from the alkergies..
i feel a major migraine coming tomorrow. i just know it.

Try a Benadryl or two before bed. This should calm you, and your alegies. Don't go crazy with it. Just one or two.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wally, I should take my own advice, but keep stumbling through the days.

My mother, 86 and in assited living, tested positive. She was able to breathe on her own, and will be released from the hospital. But, a precipitous and shocking decline over the past few years for a once vital person.

As noted elsewhere, I'm a cashier at a large liqour store in Denver. Gloves, mask, impossible social distancing (though of late this has improved). I want to make my way back to Boston.

Again, stumbling through the days.

Take care and keep going.

Thanks Mark. I wish you and yours the best too.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I'm so worn down with watching my son since my wife just went back to work last week, being home 24/7 because of COVID, and being unemployed. Don't get me wrong, I can see the silver lining with being able to be home with my son all the time, but enough is enough.
Good Luck with the job.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Really sorry to read about all your guys sorrows. So much of it going around. We are all starting to feel defeated, and the governor extended the rules in place another 30 days, which is good, but mentally not so much, Heard this today and my first thought was my HF fam and looks like a bunch of us needed to hear it today.

For King and Country are an amazing band and this is a great and very timely song.

And of course they are good old Aussies, although on permanent loan to the US. You're welcome! :D

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Really sorry to read about all your guys sorrows. So much of it going around. We are all starting to feel defeated, and the governor extended the rules in place another 30 days, which is good, but mentally not so much, Heard this today and my first thought was my HF fam and looks like a bunch of us needed to hear it today.

This was phenomenal. Thank you for sharing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

getting tired of it all too my friend, you are not alone. Have also remained pretty focused on putting out resume`s and have gotten many of the same responses. One company replied they felt I was over qualified for a position they were offering which perhaps I was, clearly they didn`t hear there is a Pandemic happening, loads of people are unemployed and would like for that to change with their professional futures very much at risk

Reactions: sooshii

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Headed to the closest Walgreens for an emergency needs run and just for kicks thought I'd go down the paper goods aisle.

Look what stared me right in the face:

20200507_100938.jpg

Actual honest to goodness Cottonelle! Not some paper thin store brand, and a full 12 rolls!!!!

:eek: :) :wave::vhappy::towel:

They only had about a half dozen packages left. I was glad to see they had a sign limiting it to one per customer.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Headed to the closest Walgreens for an emergency needs run and just for kicks thought I'd go down the paper goods aisle.

View attachment 345306

Actual honest to goodness Cottonelle! Not some paper thin store brand, and a full 12 rolls!!!!

They only had about a half dozen packages left. I was glad to see they had a sign limiting it to one per customer.

Enjoy!!

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

View attachment 345306

My favorite brand.

About a month ago I was almost out and the store had one brand so I bought an 8 pack. When I was bringing the groceries to my car I poked holes through the plastic to carry it. I got in the car and it smelled like bug spray in my car. It was the toilet paper. It was scented . Not sure what it was supposed to smell like but it smells like off. It is in my garage...maybe it will kill the spiders.

Reactions: Bruinaura

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Saw them live a few years ago....live changing, was incredible.

I'm a bit jealous. They've only been back to Oz for a tour once and I wasn't able to make it at the time. They were supposed to be heading out again this year but obviously that's no longer happening. Fingers crossed for 2021.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
getting tired of it all too my friend, you are not alone. Have also remained pretty focused on putting out resume`s and have gotten many of the same responses. One company replied they felt I was over qualified for a position they were offering which perhaps I was, clearly they didn`t hear there is a Pandemic happening, loads of people are unemployed and would like for that to change with their professional futures very much at risk

I've always hated the 'over qualified' response. I get that companies are concerned that such a candidate will simply leave as soon as they find something more at their level, or that the person may be overbearing, but that doesn't help the person in getting back into the workforce in the first place, it denies them agency in determining for themselves what position they're comfortable working in, particularly in tough times as you said, and if I were a manager I'd rather get a really good employee even if it's only for a few months rather than a lesser candidate. That person may stay on longer than you thought, or they may eventually get an internal promotion that still benefits the whole company. So I find the approach often a bit short-sighted.

All the best to you in your job search. Hope you find something suitable soon.

Reactions: GordonHowe

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
@Gee Wally - sorry about your missing your mom, especially this week.

I’m missing mine too. She’s in VA and has advanced dementia from Parkinson’s. Dad had to let their home healthcare helper go because she works days in a nursing home. He texts me to call her at random times because it helps her focus.

I’m sure you’re working your butt off too. I’m putting in a lot of hours, but not in a particularly stressful way (other than normal “launch” stress) which I almost welcome. It distracts me from what’s going on.

Anyway, keep up the walks, keep breathing. Take care.

Reactions: GordonHowe and Kovi

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I’m missing mine too. She’s in VA and has advanced dementia from Parkinson’s. Dad had to let their home healthcare helper go because she works days in a nursing home. He texts me to call her at random times because it helps her focus.

I’m sure you’re working your butt off too. I’m putting in a lot of hours, but not in a particularly stressful way (other than normal “launch” stress) which I almost welcome. It distracts me from what’s going on.

thanks Susan. My heart goes out to you.
Im at the point with my sister. Is when mom gets real bad, more than I can cause, to call me and I’ll head there.

She’s also a diabetic for years. But her oncologist told us dont worry about it. The cancer will be the thing not diabetes so let her have anything she wants. Right now shes like a walking skeleton.

but she always loved brownies. So Im having this shipped there Saturday for Mothers Day.

Triple Chocolate Enrobed Brownie Cake

hopefully she enjoys a little.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
O
I'm just having a lot of trouble sleeping. Cant shut my brain off.
My mother is dying. I cant get to see her.
My daughter is relocating Indiana in 2 weeks. Her boyfriend there works for Fed Exp and they are dropping like flies.

I know I cant live forever but to have to die this way because people dont seem to give f***. What a way to go.

Oceans of Love Wally....

Reactions: Gee Wally

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
thanks Susan. My heart goes out to you.
Im at the point with my sister. Is when mom gets real bad, more than I can cause, to call me and I’ll head there.

She’s also a diabetic for years. But her oncologist told us dont worry about it. The cancer will be the thing not diabetes so let her have anything she wants. Right now shes like a walking skeleton.

but she always loved brownies. So Im having this shipped there Saturday for Mothers Day.

Triple Chocolate Enrobed Brownie Cake

hopefully she enjoys a little.
My heart goes out to you Wally. Seeing your parent decline has got to be hard enough, but not being able to be there - I can't even imagine. Wishing you peace.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Sooshii...Sorry about your parents. If mine were still alive I would be terrified.

Reactions: sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad