OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
One of the best days I ever had was last Memorial Day on the Midway in San Diego.
They had aircraft and pilots from back as far as Korea onboard.
I stayed hours listening to their stories . I could have stayed days to be honest.

View attachment 345039
The Midway is so awesome.

When we were there, they had a WWII vet speaking in the main area. Was awesome to listen to.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
nope,
but as a kid I spent a ton of time on the USS Essex.
My cousin was onboard for almost 2 years as a helmsman.. Whenever they were in town he'd get me on board.
It was WWII era carrier. This was in the 60's.

As far as planes I used to go see the Escadrille all the time at Hanscom when they had shows.

In the 70's I was able to get up close to the Blue Angels in Pensacola. My other cousin was a flight mechanic. He traveled the world with them for years.
When I was waiting for, then in flight school in Pensacola, we lived on base, in the flight path for the runway. Tuesday was airshow practice day, so it was like a free show every week. My ex became friends with a co-worker who was dating (and later married) a crew chief for one of the Angels (#6 I think). It was super cool.

I was also stationed at NAS Point Mugu in CA, and we had an airshow every year. Lots of flight demonstrations. Loved seeing the WWII planes fly.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Great story!

We literally meet Boston fans all over. We were in the middle of the desert in Prescott, AZ and a dude walks out of a QT in a B's shirt. We chatted with him for a bit and turns out he was from Lawrence, MA.

We also met a woman on top of a random mountaintop in Arizona who saw our Bruins license plate and asked if we were from Boston--She lived one town over from where I grew up. So weird.

We were gifted 2 Bruins facemasks this week; seems like a weird gift....but considering the current sequester, not really that weird.

As a cashier at a very large liquor store in Denver, I have encountered a surprising number of MA natives, and always chat them up.

The ID gives them away, of course, as does "617" or "508" when inquiring as to their phone number (as I must, every time, and me with hearing loss & masks on both sides of the plexiglass).

When I see that area code, I smile inside. It's always great to talk to someone from back home.

Reactions: Kovi

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I turned 49 in March. Doesn't feel like it really happened lol. My 30s ended with a historic flood here in Nashville, and my 40s are ending with a global pandemic. Can't wait to see what tops those in ten years... o_O

Yes. Yes you can.

Enjoy your 50s. As noted elsewhere, it's all downhill from here. :nod:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I never understood it until my wife and I had our first child, but it's absolutely crazy that babies can just wake up one day and do something new.

My son is almost 4 months, and has been right on track with developmental milestones so far. Yesterday he just decided he wanted to roll over, and did it, without ever having come close to doing it before.

Just so cool to witness.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
playing golf today, have my mask and gloves all ready

Our course is not permitting carts, walking only and only groups of 3 with tee times spread out 20 minutes apart. Shall let you know what the new world on the golf course is like

Reactions: TD Charlie

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The last two days have been so beautiful outside that I have come down with my annual case of spring fever. If the weather holds maybe I'll treat myself to a 3 day weekend.

Reactions: GordonHowe

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Our course is not permitting carts, walking only and only groups of 3 with tee times spread out 20 minutes apart. Shall let you know what the new world on the golf course is like
Honestly, that sounds very peaceful.

I don't play slow by any means, but nothing gets on my nerves more than a group that plays insanely fast and is riding your ass the whole time, but won't playthrough.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I never understood it until my wife and I had our first child, but it's absolutely crazy that babies can just wake up one day and do something new.

My son is almost 4 months, and has been right on track with developmental milestones so far. Yesterday he just decided he wanted to roll over, and did it, without ever having come close to doing it before.

Just so cool to witness.

Even crazier is that if you have multiple children, their timelines for milestones can and will be vastly different. Our last baby was rolling over both ways really early, while the twins took forever to do that. Same thing for crawling, cruising, walking, talking etc. Whatever you do, don't read the books and think your kid is messed up if they don't do something in the time frame the book suggests. Those are just general giudelines and not hard and fast rules. Kids do things in their own time and when they're ready...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

What's your handicap? I'm so jealous. I haven't golfed with any regularity since my kids were born.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
We can send the murder hornets over to help take your mind off the migraine if you'd like....

Woke up this AM with crazy allergies and off the charts head pressure, so I think there's something in the air today...

Could be mendacity.

yeah, I watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof the other day. Still the only time in my life that I've heard the term.

Reactions: LSCII

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Even crazier is that if you have multiple children, their timelines for milestones can and will be vastly different. Our last baby was rolling over both ways really early, while the twins took forever to do that. Same thing for crawling, cruising, walking, talking etc. Whatever you do, don't read the books and think your kid is messed up if they don't do something in the time frame the book suggests. Those are just general giudelines and not hard and fast rules. Kids do things in their own time and when they're ready...
Yeah I don't worry about that stuff. if he wants to crawl at the recommended month? Go for it. If not? Whatever, it'll happen.

Unless his doctor is worried about something, I'm not going to get all bothered that he doesn't hit a milestone when a book or the internet says he should.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah I don't worry about that stuff. if he wants to crawl at the recommended month? Go for it. If not? Whatever, it'll happen.

Unless his doctor is worried about something, I'm not going to get all bothered that he doesn't hit a milestone when a book or the internet says he should.

That's exactly right. Don't be concerned over it unless your pedi is. If you do hit a point where you think something isn't being met in an appropriate time and your doctor agrees, don't forget about the Early Intervention program. You can have services come to your house and they'll work with your child. One of my twins had a slight case of hip dysplasia and we got physical therapy to work on strengthening her leg to fix it.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
What's your handicap? I'm so jealous. I haven't golfed with any regularity since my kids were born.

fluctuates depending on if I feel like being honest or not:laugh:

While out East I played to about a 7/8

I play at a much more difficult course here and it`s reflected in my handicap. I finished last year with an 11, got it down to single digits a few times but then my work schedule ramped up and I wasn`t able to play as often and it showed in my game

My game drastically improved when I stopped being focused on my score and getting myself into a headspace to truly appreciate how fortunate I am being on a golf course. I don`t take things too seriously, if I hit a bad shot, I hit a bad shot, forget about it and move along

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I have one child ( she is now 40). The "book" said they walk at one year. She started at 9 months. I wasn't ready...neither was the cat. :laugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Honestly, that sounds very peaceful.

I don't play slow by any means, but nothing gets on my nerves more than a group that plays insanely fast and is riding your ass the whole time, but won't playthrough.

same. Also applies to mini golf!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
We can send the murder hornets over to help take your mind off the migraine if you'd like....

Woke up this AM with crazy allergies and off the charts head pressure, so I think there's something in the air today...

last week or so has been very up and down for me with the weather, back and forth between the south shore and southcoast, lots of lounging one day and balls to the wall physical activity the next. It’s finally caught up. I also haven’t had any caffeine in a few days and i think that put it over the top. I laid down for an hour, took two excedrin and put a cold mask over my eyes, I’m able to at least get up now. Slowly.

the murder bees though, f***. I just learned about this yesterday and that is some crazy shit. This world went to hell in a hand basket overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad