OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
It's really amazing when you think about it.

Yep. Modern society has displaced latent racism from the 50's-80's with latent sociapathy from the use of social media of the 90's-20's...

On the one side we're "not allowed" to say harmful things, but we were never more surrounded and bombarded by passive aggressive sociopaths on the news and across social "media".

The "bad" has always been there (and always will) but it is just channeled differently these days.

Reactions: LSCII

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Watched a little Netflix diddy the other night called About Time. Bill Nighy and Rachel McAdams were in it, so i had to see it eventually. Knew it was sort of a chick flick going in but ended up really getting into it. No water works at the end for me, which is surprising. Close.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yep. Modern society has displaced latent racism from the 50's-80's with latent sociapathy from the use of social media of the 90's-20's...

On the one side we're "not allowed" to say harmful things, but we were never more surrounded and bombarded by passive aggressive sociopaths on the news and across social "media".

The "bad" has always been there (and always will) but it is just channeled differently these days.

You hit on the key being social media. In the previous eras, you wanted to tell someone off, or be a racists POS, you had to do it to their face, and the person you said it to would likely do something about it in return. Now with the internet, everyone is a keyboard warrior without the fear of any repercussions for their nonsense, so you get a society of spoiled brats that have never learned the lesson of when and when not to say something because nobody beat their ass for being ignorant when they were younger.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You hit on the key being social media. In the previous eras, you wanted to tell someone off, or be a racists POS, you had to do it to their face, and the person you said it to would likely do something about it in return. Now with the internet, everyone is a keyboard warrior without the fear of any repercussions for their nonsense, so you get a society of spoiled brats that have never learned the lesson of when and when not to say something because nobody beat their ass for being ignorant when they were younger.

then add in all the tough guys spouting off about snowflakes and being triggered and such. It just compounds everything and pushes people to deeper corners of the humane spectrum.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
then add in all the tough guys spouting off about snowflakes and being triggered and such. It just compounds everything and pushes people to deeper corners of the humane spectrum.

Yeah, I have a lot to say about that and the people who do crap like that, but I don't want to offend and infringe on anyone trying to avoid the Covid19 thread.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Did I go overboard at the liquor store or...?

This is what happens when you need vodka, Trulys, and tequila. A little impulse buying.

0D265B0A-E6BC-47E3-B285-8B78A70F1789.jpeg

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Watched a little Netflix diddy the other night called About Time. Bill Nighy and Rachel McAdams were in it, so i had to see it eventually. Knew it was sort of a chick flick going in but ended up really getting into it. No water works at the end for me, which is surprising. Close.

Really good film. Smartest thing the writers did was make no attempt to explain how the time travel works except for a couple of basic rules. It just does and it's a simple plot device to drive the story and let it unfold. It's nice and a little different too that while the romantic aspect is important, it's not the most significant relationship in the movie.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Really good film. Smartest thing the writers did was make no attempt to explain how the time travel works except for a couple of basic rules. It just does and it's a simple plot device to drive the story and let it unfold. It's nice and a little different too that while the romantic aspect is important, it's not the most significant relationship in the movie.

Ultimately the love story took a major back seat, and it was refreshing that they took it the direction they did.

Good point about the time travel. Don’t get hung up on the details. This is how it is. Moving on.

Given that the first date was in complete darkness, i had predicted that we would end up going back in time to that date and he would have to sabotage it to prevent any romance from blossoming. Thinking if the time travel required a dark place there had to be a reason one of the first big scenes takes place in total darkness. Basically i expected a sappy version of the butterfly effect.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Headed to the closest Walgreens for an emergency needs run and just for kicks thought I'd go down the paper goods aisle.

Look what stared me right in the face:

View attachment 345306

Actual honest to goodness Cottonelle! Not some paper thin store brand, and a full 12 rolls!!!!

:eek: :) :wave::vhappy::towel:

They only had about a half dozen packages left. I was glad to see they had a sign limiting it to one per customer.

It's... it's beautiful.

Have fun.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I enjoyed this flick as well. The male lead also stars in "Ex Machina," though his end is not so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad