OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Watching baseball from South Korea :help:

upload_2020-5-5_2-35-4.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Watching baseball from South Korea :help:

View attachment 345004

The Koreans take their baseball pretty seriously. My town has this weird arrangement where we field a team in the Australian Baseball League that is composed entirely of South Koreans who come here every summer to play baseball. Because they're mostly guys who aren't good enough to get into any of the Korea-based teams they're not quite so great talent-wise, but the quality of our league is lower so they can compete fairly evenly with the other local squads. They're fun to watch and they're starting to build a nice little following around town.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Wife and I are almost done Week 5 of Couch to 5K!

Yesterday was 2 8 minute runs, tomorrow's 20 minutes straight. :O

Gonna be tough... But I feel like we can do it!
You're going to feel great once you get there, checking off an accomplishment like that, especially in times like this, is a huge mental boost. Keep it up!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
i have to do this next. basement door. both lower jambs are rotted because of water height.
did you put in a new jamb or just cut out the rot? i tbink i may just plunge out the rot and measure a perfect peice of pvc for both sides. i dont wanna open up a can of worms by replaceing whole jamb. taking door off etc.

FWIW- I would take the whole jamb out because I guarantee you there is water damage somewhere in there, you just can't see it. That's been my experience. Water is incredibly destructive :(

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
They are removing the carpet and installing the laminate flooring in my old apartment above me. Kind of wishing I wasn't working from home at the moment :help: I'm wearing two sets of headphones to cancel the noise.

Might be time to go for a drive.

Reactions: GordonHowe and BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The National Naval Aviation Museum is doing a live video series that goes into detail about different aircraft they have on display. They have fantastic volunteers who in many cases have flown the aircraft being discussed.

This museum is probably my favorite museum on earth so I may be biased, but if you are a military history buff or enjoy airplanes in general, you might want to check out the series in their Facebook page. Here's one of the videos

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
The National Naval Aviation Museum is doing a live video series that goes into detail about different aircraft they have on display. They have fantastic volunteers who in many cases have flown the aircraft being discussed.

This museum is probably my favorite museum on earth so I may be biased, but if you are a military history buff or enjoy airplanes in general, you might want to check out the series in their Facebook page. Here's one of the videos

One of the best days I ever had was last Memorial Day on the Midway in San Diego.
They had aircraft and pilots from back as far as Korea onboard.
I stayed hours listening to their stories . I could have stayed days to be honest.

Midway.jpg

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
FWIW- I would take the whole jamb out because I guarantee you there is water damage somewhere in there, you just can't see it. That's been my experience. Water is incredibly destructive :(
yeah but this is a jamb around concrete foundation. cant be water damage.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
yeah but this is a jamb around concrete foundation. cant be water damage.

Concrete is porous, water can get through it to damage that jamb. Maybe not all at once but over time.

YMMV of course but having experienced first hand just how destructive water is I wouldn't take any chances, not when I had to replace part of it already, I'd just replace the entire thing with something other than wood.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I will have to check this out. I was always kind of sorry my dad served on a destroyer tender it would have been awesome if he'd served on a carrier. His ship was the flagship of the admiral in charge of Atlantic fleet destroyer tenders. He said the ship made just 2 trips the entire time he was on it once to Nova Scotia and once to Bermuda.

Reactions: Bruinaura

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
i have to do this next. basement door. both lower jambs are rotted because of water height.
did you put in a new jamb or just cut out the rot? i tbink i may just plunge out the rot and measure a perfect peice of pvc for both sides. i dont wanna open up a can of worms by replaceing whole jamb. taking door off etc.
I just replaced the rot. I had to do some manufacturing of the pieces to get the slot where the weatherstripping slides in, but that was part of the fun. Doing the whole door would just be a different sort of fun...

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

Went with my oldest when we went to Reston, VA for U-16 nationals in 2011. I absolutely LOVE this place. I need to go back.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
One of the best days I ever had was last Memorial Day on the Midway in San Diego.
They had aircraft and pilots from back as far as Korea onboard.
I stayed hours listening to their stories . I could have stayed days to be honest.

View attachment 345039
Have you been to the Intrepid Museum in NYC? Sounds pretty similar. Another cool take, if you're into old planes and the old carrier.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Have you been to the Intrepid Museum in NYC? Sounds pretty similar. Another cool take, if you're into old planes and the old carrier.

nope,
but as a kid I spent a ton of time on the USS Essex.
My cousin was onboard for almost 2 years as a helmsman.. Whenever they were in town he'd get me on board.
It was WWII era carrier. This was in the 60's.

As far as planes I used to go see the Escadrille all the time at Hanscom when they had shows.

In the 70's I was able to get up close to the Blue Angels in Pensacola. My other cousin was a flight mechanic. He traveled the world with them for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad