OT - NO POLITICS Off Topic 2020 part XXIII - How is everybody coping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I turned 49 in March. Doesn't feel like it really happened lol. My 30s ended with a historic flood here in Nashville, and my 40s are ending with a global pandemic. Can't wait to see what tops those in ten years... o_O
Leafs win Stanley Cup

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I’m ready for the Bobby Orr steak tip sub at Fours with a couple of Sam Summer this afternoon before walking over and seeing the Bruins win a playoff game .

really is that to much to ask
we would be smacking the leafs again. after they upset tampa.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Today I was cleaning and found this knife and holder from my father in the war. It had a bunch of information on it from his name; USN Commando Base Navale. Airdale; E-8; LA Maddalena 1944

weird never seen this

he never talked once about the war but several of my ‘uncles’ growing up were his navy buddies.

the only thing I know was he got bombed on a ship and because of shrapnel my mother got a check till she died. Those guys could do anything- they pretty much - actually did- designed and built each other’s houses.

I miss that guy

Very interesting. La Maddalena is a port on the Maddalena islands just north of Sardinia in the Mediterranean. In WW2 it was an Italian naval base until they abandoned it in 1943 after the armistice between Italy and the Allies was signed. Later that year it was taken over by US Navy MTB Ron 15 squadron, which used it as a patrol torpedo (PT) boat base through 1944. The squadron assisted in allied efforts in Italy and Corsica, patrolling, protecting amphibious and coastal operations, and attacking German shipping. If you pop down to Battleship Cove at Fall River, you can see a couple of PT boats of the type Ron 15 used during the war.

I could be well off the mark, but the location and the date match nicely with known US naval ops there, so it could be worth exploring further if you had any interest in doing so. I wonder too if ‘E-8’ refers to a pay grade such as is used across the armed forces, although I don’t think E-8 was established until the 1950s.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Very interesting. La Maddalena is a port on the Maddalena islands just north of Sardinia in the Mediterranean. In WW2 it was an Italian naval base until they abandoned it in 1943 after the armistice between Italy and the Allies was signed. Later that year it was taken over by US Navy MTB Ron 15 squadron, which used it as a patrol torpedo (PT) boat base through 1944. The squadron assisted in allied efforts in Italy and Corsica, patrolling, protecting amphibious and coastal operations, and attacking German shipping. If you pop down to Battleship Cove at Fall River, you can see a couple of PT boats of the type Ron 15 used during the war.

I could be well off the mark, but the location and the date match nicely with known US naval ops there, so it could be worth exploring further if you had any interest in doing so. I wonder too if ‘E-8’ refers to a pay grade such as is used across the armed forces, although I don’t think E-8 was established until the 1950s.

beautiful area in the Med. I have sailed there and it is a special place for sure.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Leafs win Stanley Cup
Thank you for that thought. :skeptic:

9PMC8BD8b2AaA.gif

Reactions: BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20200503-232706_Instagram.jpg

It is at this point that I remember Charlie is a young fella :laugh:

And I'm old :help:

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

It actually says E-11 #8

no idea what that means

my father was a 3 sport athlete who was captain of state champs in football and went to Univ of Florida and played football for 2 years before last minute enlisting. My grandfather was a career naval officer but my father wanted none of that career and had his eye on the NFL. He wasn’t badly hurt because he never showed any signs but my mother got the insurance monthly/annually? that I wasn’t aware until after he passed. He went to camp with Green Bay after the war - Curly Lambeau was the coach but due to his injuries he flunked the physical and came home and married my mother and raised a family.

We were very tight but he died when I was 25 and I never delved into that world and he never once mentioned it. He has pictures on top of statues afterwards that are bleeping amazing that I think are in Germany - I’ll try to find them but he is holding a Nazi flag on top of this incredible statue clearly as a soldier

Those guys were insane - my old man could do anything- during the stay at home I’m redoing his old workroom over and found the knife. He loved to throw shit out~ ‘use it or lose it’ was his mantra but he kept that knife - and this framed signed ‘Domain of Neptunus Rex’ for his father dared December 2 1924. It is apparently given out when you cross the equator as says ‘One of our Trusty Shellbacks’

it’s got an original seal and is for U.S.S Utah

it’s signed on bottom by John J Pershing.

This hung in our playroom as a kid and considering my father never saw anything he didn’t want to pitch it must be something that meant a lot

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It actually says E-11 #8

no idea what that means

my father was a 3 sport athlete who was captain of state champs in football and went to Univ of Florida and played football for 2 years before last minute enlisting. My grandfather was a career naval officer but my father wanted none of that career and had his eye on the NFL. He wasn’t badly hurt because he never showed any signs but my mother got the insurance monthly/annually? that I wasn’t aware until after he passed. He went to camp with Green Bay after the war - Curly Lambeau was the coach but due to his injuries he flunked the physical and came home and married my mother and raised a family.

We were very tight but he died when I was 25 and I never delved into that world and he never once mentioned it. He has pictures on top of statues afterwards that are bleeping amazing that I think are in Germany - I’ll try to find them but he is holding a Nazi flag on top of this incredible statue clearly as a soldier

Those guys were insane - my old man could do anything- during the stay at home I’m redoing his old workroom over and found the knife. He loved to throw shit out~ ‘use it or lose it’ was his mantra but he kept that knife - and this framed signed ‘Domain of Neptunus Rex’ for his father dared December 2 1924. It is apparently given out when you cross the equator as says ‘One of our Trusty Shellbacks’

it’s got an original seal and is for U.S.S Utah

it’s signed on bottom by John J Pershing.

This hung in our playroom as a kid and considering my father never saw anything he didn’t want to pitch it must be something that meant a lot

Sounds like some wonderful mementos. The USS Utah ended up being one of the ships sunk at Pearl Harbor, although by then it was just a training vessel.

I’d definitely be interested in seeing one of the pics. Those guys truly were the greatest generation.

My own grandfather fought in the Pacific in WW2 and his father somehow survived nearly 3 years on the Western Front in the previous war. We have their service medals but nothing else unfortunately. My grandfather had a similar approach to your father - he'd happily talk about his army service on home soil, but never about what he did and saw overseas in active combat.

The relationship between our Australian soldiers and the American ones certainly changed between the two wars – in the first we’d already been involved for 3 years by the time American troops arrived in France so we had a role in training the new guys in the art of trench warfare and guiding combined operations. But against the Japanese in the Pacific MacArthur was much more forthright and ‘America First’, which resulted in our troops mostly being left undertaking containment and mopping up ops in the southern islands while American soldiers spearheaded the push up to Japan. Not very ‘exciting’ for the Aussies but it kept a lot more of them alive, so we should probably be thankful for that.

Reactions: DKH and BMC

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
If you want to see the world's dumbest drain setup, take a gander under my kitchen sink

View attachment 344626

o_O

Yes, let's make the water go uphill!!

View attachment 344627

These apartment maintenance and renovation guys are top-notch, let me tell ya!
Yeah, that's pretty dumb, but because of where the drain stub into the wall is, not the plumber who connected your disposal. The dip in the pipe is what's called a P-trap (because in a standard one, the pipe looks like a P - in yours, the plumber had to do some fancy pipefitting to make it work), which traps water there and prevents sewer gasses from coming back up through an empty pipe. Believe me, you don't want that!

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I have wood siding that has a few spots that need help because of water / rot. I have a big deck and a wood balcony that the railings need to be fixed. I had someone come over yesterday to check out for me. I will be home and they will be outside. I have to pick out a stain .

Also my outdoor faucet needs to be fixed because even though I opened it up to drain and shut off the water the pipe broke (under my deck).

It is always something.

replaced a window trim and sill nose today with rot.
replaced with pvc brick mold and pvc sill nose from lowes.
glad i didnt have to replace the whole sill.
only took 3 hours. lol

Put together new patio table. Installed new umbrella. Put out garden hoses. Did poop patrol.

Then went for 15 minute ride to keep Jeep active.

I actually miss having a bunch of projects to do on the house. My old house was a 1956 ranch that needed a lot of TLC. (Plus it gave me an excuse to buy tools). Here, I've repaired rot on the threshold and jamb of the door out the back of the garage, plus put up a gutter to take the water away from where it was all draining right at the foot of that door, contributing to the rot. But that's really been my only projects more serious than hanging pictures. Next is running some wire out to our pergola to give it permanent power.

I took a drive up to Massabesic Lake . Lots of people out. I stayed in the car.
We took a road trip yesterday. Surprise to Organ Pipe National Monument, (cool little mining town called Ajo we want to go back to), got to within about 10 miles of the Mexican border. Took some photos of cactus and their blooms. Then back out of Organ Pipe, through the CBP checkpoint to Saguaro National Park, just outside of Tucson, which was AMAZING! Sunset during the drive around the park (No visitor's center). Then curbside dinner eaten in the car and the drive back up I-10 home. 430 miles in total. Long day, but so nice to unplug and get out of the house, even if it was pretty much entirely in the car.

Reactions: DKH and Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
7ZVYZV4SRVC53J3ZPNZNRNU5JE.jpg

In the video, Joe Samaan, a gas station clerk at S J Food Mart in Lexington, sees a woman entering the shop with a torn mask.

“Where did you get that mask from?” he asks the woman when she approaches the counter to pay for gas.

“Well, since we have to wear them and it makes it hard to breathe, this makes it a lot easier to breathe,” she replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Here, I've repaired rot on the threshold and jamb of the door out the back of the garage, plus put up a gutter to take the water away from where it was all draining right at the foot of that door, contributing to the rot.

i have to do this next. basement door. both lower jambs are rotted because of water height.
did you put in a new jamb or just cut out the rot? i tbink i may just plunge out the rot and measure a perfect peice of pvc for both sides. i dont wanna open up a can of worms by replaceing whole jamb. taking door off etc.

Reactions: DKH

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I actually miss having a bunch of projects to do on the house. My old house was a 1956 ranch that needed a lot of TLC. (Plus it gave me an excuse to buy tools). Here, I've repaired rot on the threshold and jamb of the door out the back of the garage, plus put up a gutter to take the water away from where it was all draining right at the foot of that door, contributing to the rot. But that's really been my only projects more serious than hanging pictures. Next is running some wire out to our pergola to give it permanent power.

I start the primer class for my Feng Shui certification on the 15th....rest up :laugh:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad