Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wilson's contract is horrible based on 2017-18 stats ... but based on potential. He's young, improving, and showing that he can do more than play just 4th line roles. If his progression continues this might go from terrible to a meh contract ... but his performance will have to improve consistently over the next few years for that to happen.

That said, six years is a lot of time for continued contract inflation. Look at what a $4-4.5 million cap hit brought to a roster in 2005-07 ... then look at what players like Gaustad were making eight years after that ... now hits like Tom Wilson's.
He just broke hit 35 points for a career high playing with Ovi, I don't think it gets much better tbh. I don't think it will ever be high enough to justify his contract, and if he doesn't get his game under control he may not be around to see the end of it anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Back to the Ellis situation... 3 young D lately in Trouba, Dumba, and Skjei I'd rather have on their new contracts than Ellis on whatever he'll get... I really really would be disappointed at this point if he got more than a $6M AAV. Something like $5-5.5M seems like a better fit to some of the comparables out there to me. :dunno:

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Back to the Ellis situation... 3 young D lately in Trouba, Dumba, and Skjei I'd rather have on their new contracts than Ellis on whatever he'll get... I really really would be disappointed at this point if he got more than a $6M AAV. Something like $5-5.5M seems like a better fit to some of the comparables out there to me. :dunno:
His point totals compared to Dumba is one leverage Poile has on the negotiations. I'm also willing to bet that Ellis takes a hometown discount to remain a Pred if his will to stay with the team is a strong as I've let myself believe. I'd say 5x5 if it wasn't for Seattle expansion. Protecting 4+4 would leave one of Joey, FF, Arvy, Turris or Fiala out, but you don't want to lose any of the top4 dmen either.....

Could we see an extension and then a trade later on? Or do we protect 4+4 and pay Seattle to not pick the forward that's left unprotected? Or is Hook protected again and we pay more hefty price for Seattle not to pick the 4th dman?

If Fabbro turns out to be top4 caliber by the expansion, do we let one of the dmen go through the x-draft and fill the void with Fabbro?

Damn expansion draft.....

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
His point totals compared to Dumba is one leverage Poile has on the negotiations. I'm also willing to bet that Ellis takes a hometown discount to remain a Pred if his will to stay with the team is a strong as I've let myself believe. I'd say 5x5 if it wasn't for Seattle expansion. Protecting 4+4 would leave one of Joey, FF, Arvy, Turris or Fiala out, but you don't want to lose any of the top4 dmen either.....

Could we see an extension and then a trade later on? Or do we protect 4+4 and pay Seattle to not pick the forward that's left unprotected? Or is Hook protected again and we pay more hefty price for Seattle not to pick the 4th dman?

If Fabbro turns out to be top4 caliber by the expansion, do we let one of the dmen go through the x-draft and fill the void with Fabbro?

Damn expansion draft.....
i swear.. we finally have a competitive team and 2 expansion drafts within 5 years- with tough rules.

Reactions: Tex76

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
i swear.. we finally have a competitive team and 2 expansion drafts within 5 years- with tough rules.
How secure is this Seattle thing anyway? My impression without doing any research is that it's kind of taken as a fait accompli, but hasn't been formally announced as such? Is that true, or is it really a Done Deal? Or is there room for it to fall apart still?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
How secure is this Seattle thing anyway? My impression without doing any research is that it's kind of taken as a fait accompli, but hasn't been formally announced as such? Is that true, or is it really a Done Deal? Or is there room for it to fall apart still?

It sounds like this Fall the NHL will approve Seattle's bid and will set the date for the expansion draft. The media is spouting this is the last step for Seattle hockey.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Salomaki is pretty fortunate to have that kind of contract and money coming in, tbh. I don't mind him at all as an auxiliary forward. But I don't see upside past 4th line fill-in/pressbox for him, and I would think you could plug all sorts of guys into that role - prospects in the minors, guys you just signed as free agents for Milwaukee, guys you pick up on waivers, etc. A guy on a 2-way deal could do the same job. It's not hurting the Preds any to have Salomaki doing it instead, of course. No harm either direction.

Technically polishes off a full roster for the Preds with $7.625M cap space remaining.

Poile should take a month off now. If they couldn't figure out the Ellis extension by now, it can wait.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Wow. Poile has really come in under budget this summer. I was expecting $4-5M in cap space after all the existing players were re-signed. Instead, right now he has 13F 8D 2G signed and $7.625M in cap space according to Cap Friendly. That's crazy for a legit contender. Next summer Hartman, Fiala, and Sissons will hit RFA status, while Bitetto, Ellis and Rinne will hit UFA.

What a job he has done managing cap hits.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I had a lot of hope for Salomaki after the 15-16 season. The way he was hitting and pissing off Ducks in the playoffs that year was amazing. I thought he was on his way to becoming a bull in a china shop agitator who could hold his own skill-wise as a bottom sixer. It just seems he was never able to recover from getting hurt and missing practically the whole 16-17 season. At worst, he is a guy who has been around and knows the system and won't hurt you. Hopefully he isn't an every night player but as a depth F he is fine.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I had a lot of hope for Salomaki after the 15-16 season. The way he was hitting and pissing off Ducks in the playoffs that year was amazing. I thought he was on his way to becoming a bull in a china shop agitator who could hold his own skill-wise as a bottom sixer. It just seems he was never able to recover from getting hurt and missing practically the whole 16-17 season. At worst, he is a guy who has been around and knows the system and won't hurt you. Hopefully he isn't an every night player but as a depth F he is fine.
This reminder actually gave me a little jolt of nostalgic optimism. Sure, he was very vanilla last year, but after missing most of a year, maybe that isn't unreasonable. If he can get a bit of the old spark back it would make him a lot less interchangeable.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
At which point they won't get as much for him...
BFC managed to communicate most of my sentiment towards this proposal idea accurately enough :D but I figured this tidbit should get addressed. The short version is that one more year of Panarin - and the potential playoff benefits, plus the opportunity for guys like PLD and Bjorkstrand and Milano and maybe other guys like Abramov to learn from him - is something that's highly valued up here. So "trade him for whatever you can get" isn't resonating up here. And from what we can tell from his quotes, Kekalainen feels the same way.

Putting my Preds hat back on... in any case, I don't think the Preds need Panarin, nor would he be that much of an upgrade. He'd be the best winger on this team bar none, but Forsberg and Arvidsson are already pretty damn awesome, and Fiala is looking better and better. If this team was struggling I'd think differently (i.e. if I thought we needed a shakeup), but as it is we're coming off seasons of the Cup Finals and the President's Trophy, and meanwhile he seems pretty determined to see what the rest of the NHL looks like before he settles down and so it's probably not worth the risk, especially given what the cost would be.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
BFC managed to communicate most of my sentiment towards this proposal idea accurately enough :D but I figured this tidbit should get addressed. The short version is that one more year of Panarin - and the potential playoff benefits, plus the opportunity for guys like PLD and Bjorkstrand and Milano and maybe other guys like Abramov to learn from him - is something that's highly valued up here. So "trade him for whatever you can get" isn't resonating up here. And from what we can tell from his quotes, Kekalainen feels the same way.

Putting my Preds hat back on... in any case, I don't think the Preds need Panarin, nor would he be that much of an upgrade. He'd be the best winger on this team bar none, but Forsberg and Arvidsson are already pretty damn awesome, and Fiala is looking better and better. If this team was struggling I'd think differently (i.e. if I thought we needed a shakeup), but as it is we're coming off seasons of the Cup Finals and the President's Trophy, and meanwhile he seems pretty determined to see what the rest of the NHL looks like before he settles down and so it's probably not worth the risk, especially given what the cost would be.

I get the sentiment, but much like Ellis if he won't sign, I'm not losing an asset for nothing. Now if I could guarantee a cup win, sure, but you can't so I'm getting what I can and moving on. Especially if I already know you don't want to play for us.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I get the sentiment, but much like Ellis if he won't sign, I'm not losing an asset for nothing. Now if I could guarantee a cup win, sure, but you can't so I'm getting what I can and moving on. Especially if I already know you don't want to play for us.
Does any return make our offense as much stronger as losing Ellis makes defense weaker (this upcoming season)? If not, then holding onto Ellis - even if he wasn't gonna resign - is an asset itself.

If Hamhuis can really be a top4 dman playing top4 minutes all year, you could make a case for Panarin for example, but I'm not convinced he can.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does any return make our offense as much stronger as losing Ellis makes defense weaker (this upcoming season)? If not, then holding onto Ellis - even if he wasn't gonna resign - is an asset itself.

If Hamhuis can really be a top4 dman playing top4 minutes all year, you could make a case for Panarin for example, but I'm not convinced he can.
Exactly. Ellis is an asset this year, and him not taking up $5-6M of cap space could be an asset for next year (and many years beyond). He has a value spectrum whether signed, traded, or even playing for this year and walking away. The Preds can afford to wait and choose which point on that spectrum works best for the team, relative to everything else that is going on for the team.

For example, keeping him, playing him, letting him walk as a UFA is greater asset value than the trade return value of, say, a 1st round pick + a B prospect. As long as the team is indeed still on a playoff contention trajectory at the trade deadline anyway. You could get that for Ellis at the trade deadline. But he's worth more than that just playing out the stretch for the Preds. So in that sense, letting him walk and getting nothing for him > 1st + prospect. Preds are a team in the situation that present-tense asset value is maximized, and future value is minimized, which isn't the case for every team of course, but certainly could lead to the scales tipping towards just letting Ellis walk UFA. Lots of contending teams do lose players to free agency, there are players who make it to the UFA market every year, after all. It wouldn't be an automatic disaster if that happened with Ellis. Poile knows how to weigh the options.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

ellis doesn't return a panarin in this world or some other world i am not aware of.

weren't we leading the central division and only trailing vegas in the west till ellis returned? as well as ellis being absolutely brutal with josi in the playoffs. i really like ellis but i am not exactly afraid to lose him. his size will always keep him from being anything other than a 2nd pair dman and the older he gets, the little bit of foot speed he has will go.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Exactly. Ellis is an asset this year, and him not taking up $5-6M of cap space could be an asset for next year (and many years beyond). He has a value spectrum whether signed, traded, or even playing for this year and walking away. The Preds can afford to wait and choose which point on that spectrum works best for the team, relative to everything else that is going on for the team.

For example, keeping him, playing him, letting him walk as a UFA is greater asset value than the trade return value of, say, a 1st round pick + a B prospect. As long as the team is indeed still on a playoff contention trajectory at the trade deadline anyway. You could get that for Ellis at the trade deadline. But he's worth more than that just playing out the stretch for the Preds. So in that sense, letting him walk and getting nothing for him > 1st + prospect. Preds are a team in the situation that present-tense asset value is maximized, and future value is minimized, which isn't the case for every team of course, but certainly could lead to the scales tipping towards just letting Ellis walk UFA. Lots of contending teams do lose players to free agency, there are players who make it to the UFA market every year, after all. It wouldn't be an automatic disaster if that happened with Ellis. Poile knows how to weigh the options.

I'll take the 1st and the prospect, they will be around, he won't.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Really? Wow. I don't get that. I know Ellis had a terrible playoff last year (but a good one the year before), and sure you could trade him at the deadline as an attractive "rental" to some other team for a 1st and prospect. But to me, he'd have to be really looking bad - like unexpectedly, unfathomably bad - in order for me to do that heading into this year's playoffs. Assuming we're in the playoffs and still looking like contenders of course. I'd rather make the most honest attempt at wining the Stanley Cup possible. And Ellis would be a part of that.

It's like when the Blues traded Stastny at the deadline this past sesason. Maybe he's not exactly a "core" player, and maybe they will get something out of the 1st or prospect they got. But it gutted the Blues IMHO. You shouldn't send that signal heading into the stretch drive. Even looking past the asset values in the trade, it isn't a good sign to the players. And we should be an even better team than the Blues with more at stake. Trading Ellis like that would be really weak IMHO. If he subsequently walks in the summer, ok, that's business, and it's safely in the off-season. And you might be able to replace him shopping the UFA market. But you can't trade him mid-season if everything is going as expected for the player and team.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
Really? Wow. I don't get that. I know Ellis had a terrible playoff last year (but a good one the year before), and sure you could trade him at the deadline as an attractive "rental" to some other team for a 1st and prospect. But to me, he'd have to be really looking bad - like unexpectedly, unfathomably bad - in order for me to do that heading into this year's playoffs. Assuming we're in the playoffs and still looking like contenders of course. I'd rather make the most honest attempt at wining the Stanley Cup possible. And Ellis would be a part of that.

It's like when the Blues traded Stastny at the deadline this past sesason. Maybe he's not exactly a "core" player, and maybe they will get something out of the 1st or prospect they got. But it gutted the Blues IMHO. You shouldn't send that signal heading into the stretch drive. Even looking past the asset values in the trade, it isn't a good sign to the players. And we should be an even better team than the Blues with more at stake. Trading Ellis like that would be really weak IMHO. If he subsequently walks in the summer, ok, that's business, and it's safely in the off-season. And you might be able to replace him shopping the UFA market. But you can't trade him mid-season if everything is going as expected for the player and team.
I fully agree with you.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It would really be unwise to trade Ellis for something that couldn't automatically help us this year. We are a team that is going for a cup. A 1st and a prospect isn't helping us anytime soon so it would be really dumb to trade Ellis for anything less than a top 6 player. I'm on the side of the fence that thinks that we need to trade him if he doesn't sign a good contract. Josi should be our priority to sign and I believe that becomes a problem if we sign Ellis for 6.5 or more. And you don't let him just walk for nothing. That would be unwise as well. I get Ellis helps our team this year but you don't lose an asset like him for nothing. If you can get some forward help with term you make that move.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It would really be unwise to trade Ellis for something that couldn't automatically help us this year. We are a team that is going for a cup. A 1st and a prospect isn't helping us anytime soon so it would be really dumb to trade Ellis for anything less than a top 6 player. I'm on the side of the fence that thinks that we need to trade him if he doesn't sign a good contract. Josi should be our priority to sign and I believe that becomes a problem if we sign Ellis for 6.5 or more. And you don't let him just walk for nothing. That would be unwise as well. I get Ellis helps our team this year but you don't lose an asset like him for nothing. If you can get some forward help with term you make that move.
If if if... but the reality is that Ellis is on the trajectory to be a "rental" player for any team you trade him to, not a player that nets you a long-term quality top-6 forward. He's an impending UFA, and if we can't re-sign him it suggests he's an impending UFA... with some relatively extravagant contract hopes. The default expectation in that kind of trade scenario is that you get futures back for him instead of a top-6 winger.

It's not 100% IMPOSSIBLE that you could find an attractive trade for him that fits our contending status, I suppose. But let's be real here. Our top-6 forward situation isn't actually too bad... JoFA, Fiala, Turris is 5/6 of the way there, Smith was an adequate-ish placeholder, and Tolvanen is a legit hope. We might actually be ok. So it's already a bit of a speculative projection that getting another top-6 winger is even a real need. Then you try to actually find that deal for an impending-UFA Ellis? I don't know... not saying it's impossible, but it doesn't seem at all likely.

I don't think you can broadcast that "you don't let him walk for nothing" when it seems so unlikely that there is a practical alternative. (Aside from re-signing him long term). And when it's not really "nothing" anyway. You let him walk, it's not "for nothing". It's for retaining him for a Cup run and for using his future cap space/roster spot on a replacement in the summer. That's still not "nothing". And it's still better than a 1st+prospect in our situation.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
If if if... but the reality is that Ellis is on the trajectory to be a "rental" player for any team you trade him to, not a player that nets you a long-term quality top-6 forward. He's an impending UFA, and if we can't re-sign him it suggests he's an impending UFA... with some relatively extravagant contract hopes. The default expectation in that kind of trade scenario is that you get futures back for him instead of a top-6 winger.

It's not 100% IMPOSSIBLE that you could find an attractive trade for him that fits our contending status, I suppose. But let's be real here. Our top-6 forward situation isn't actually too bad... JoFA, Fiala, Turris is 5/6 of the way there, Smith was an adequate-ish placeholder, and Tolvanen is a legit hope. We might actually be ok. So it's already a bit of a speculative projection that getting another top-6 winger is even a real need. Then you try to actually find that deal for an impending-UFA Ellis? I don't know... not saying it's impossible, but it doesn't seem at all likely.

I don't think you can broadcast that "you don't let him walk for nothing" when it seems so unlikely that there is a practical alternative. (Aside from re-signing him long term). And when it's not really "nothing" anyway. You let him walk, it's not "for nothing". It's for retaining him for a Cup run and for using his future cap space/roster spot on a replacement in the summer. That's still not "nothing". And it's still better than a 1st+prospect in our situation.
I'm sure teams that would want to trade for him and has a big need for rhd would want to negotiate a contract before a trade and that boost up the value. I'd even do Ellis plus a first for a top 6 player.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm sure teams that would want to trade for him and has a big need for rhd would want to negotiate a contract before a trade and that boost up the value. I'd even do Ellis plus a first for a top 6 player.
I guess it comes down to specifics... give me the player to trade for and give me the contract he's going to accept, and then hypothetically... ok, maybe there is a trade out there. But I don't see that as a sensible "default plan". Default plan is more along the lines of sign him or let him walk, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad