Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does Columbus do it though? Isn't their defense pretty strong already? Obviously Ellis is a great defenseman that every team would love to add, but it seems like it makes more sense for the Preds than the Jackets.
Yeah, they wouldn't and other teams will probably offer even more, I think Panarin has become one of the more "elite" forwards in the game today.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd trade Ellis for Dumba or Trouba, though... $6M and $5.5M right there for players arguably better/more valuable than Ellis. Obviously this is Minnesota and Winnipeg so no trades are going to happen. Just saying more on the front of Ellis' contract value. Even granted you are buying all UFA years with Ellis.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While Columbus might not, something along those lines could be something that works for both teams if Ellis is just dead set on a NMC/NTC that Poile doesn't want to give him. The winger that is.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
While Columbus might not, something along those lines could be something that works for both teams if Ellis is just dead set on a NMC/NTC that Poile doesn't want to give him. The winger that is.
We probably still have to give up Tolvanen, or at least they focus on Fiala. Either way. They are going to look at our roster and pick on the obvious fits to replace Panarin. And then "stuff" on top of them because Panarin is already an NHL superstar. I'm not optimistic about finding a sensible trade.

But if Panarin does go UFA... well then... it's a new Tavares dream... :scared:

Reactions: Viqsi

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Ellis would be a decent upgrade on Savard for second pairing D but I don't think it's something they would give up their best forward for.

Also, the speculated reason Panarin wants out is because he wants to play in a big city (NY, CHI, LA). Doesn't make sense to give up the assets needed to acquire him if he's just going to leave in a year.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Viqsi is in Florida and I ran this by her. The answer is a stark no, and if you ask again no one will find your body. CBJ is not looking for D help, their D corp is young and good; Jones, Werensky, Savard, Murray, Nutivarra.

Reactions: Viqsi

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh Viqsi wouldn't have a say in it anyways lol.

I dont think they would do it either, but someone with a winger in roughly the same position might.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And Caps fans are out in force defending it. I guess that's what happens when you win a Cup. All your players are perfect and totally worth whatever salary they get. Hopefully we get to do the same thing next year.
Well I get that he brings some different things to the table, but the guy had 35 points this season and 15 points in the playoffs. To put that in perspective he had the same number of goals as Austin Watson this season while playing a good chunk of his time with either Ovi and Kuznetsov or Backstrom. Watson did it playing true 4th line minutes.

He had 15 points in the playoffs, Watson had 8 in two less rounds.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Well I get that he brings some different things to the table, but the guy had 35 points this season and 15 points in the playoffs. To put that in perspective he had the same number of goals as Austin Watson this season while playing a good chunk of his time with either Ovi and Kuznetsov or Backstrom. Watson did it playing true 4th line minutes.

He had 15 points in the playoffs, Watson had 8 in two less rounds.

Oh, make no mistake, it's a terrible contract and the fact that people are defending it is ridiculous. But if the Preds won the Cup, something like a terrible contract wouldn't be such a big deal.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Wilson's contract is horrible based on 2017-18 stats ... but based on potential. He's young, improving, and showing that he can do more than play just 4th line roles. If his progression continues this might go from terrible to a meh contract ... but his performance will have to improve consistently over the next few years for that to happen.

That said, six years is a lot of time for continued contract inflation. Look at what a $4-4.5 million cap hit brought to a roster in 2005-07 ... then look at what players like Gaustad were making eight years after that ... now hits like Tom Wilson's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad