Speculation: Off Season Thread Part II: Wake me up when September ends

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Well, we got to the finals year 1 with PK, now we only made the 2nd round so naturally, we're going to be out of the playoffs on year 3 of PK being here.

Logical thinking saved me the grief of watching Predators hockey this season. ;)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
With the way Dorion has handled the whole situation in Ottawa I think you have to at least entertain the option that we could acquire Stone. If the price for Karlsson is that and obviously it won't be the same for Stone and probably lower than what we have thought. Something like Smith/Jarnkrok + 1st + B prospect.

Reactions: Tex76

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Few small tidbits from Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

Josi now represented by Wasserman/Orr Hockey. Other clients include Ellis, Carlson, McDavid, Ekblad, Skinner and Staal Brothers.

and this:

Filip Forsberg, asked who will stand up in the Predators’ room and say, no matter what happened last year, we are still good enough to win this: “That will be me. That will be me this year. Because I really believe it.”

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
San Jose is an odd duck. By all accounts they should have been going into the rebuild crapper as Marleau, Thornton and Pavelski aged. Burns is 33, Vlasic 31, Braun probably past his prime and even Couture is 29. Hertl and Meier are solid young talents, but overpaying for Kane and adding Karlsson seems like the wrong long-term direction. I think they can be really competitive for this year and maybe next, and then I think the age of that group just drags them into the competitive but not going anywhere category (and then headed for a not-insignificant rebuild) after.

Hertl is 24, Meier is 21, Labanc is 22, Suomela is 24. They have a lot of young parts.

To be fair this is real life, not some fantasy league where 30 is a death sentence. With growing multi-million dollar contracts, and a softer style of play, we're seeing more and more "older players" not just hang around in their 30's, but excel. 6 out of the 10 top scorers in the league were 30+ (7/11 if you want to count Ovi!), as much as we hear the NHL is becoming a young persons game, it's actually becoming a stars game where good players, who take care of their bodies and train hard are able to stick around and compete. Players like Thornton, Burns, Pavelski are physical marvels. Burns is in better shape than most NHL players, no matter what their age. So I don't think they really need to be thinking rebuild. It's not about age anymore it's about compete and those Sharks players can still compete even if their beards are greying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad