Speculation: Off-Season Roster Building/Line Combos Thread

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I was so jacked when we signed Semin, his first year(half year) that line was so good. He could just absolutely rip a wrister from the least dangerous spots and roof it. Was that the year we picked up Staal as well? That felt like a year we should have made it but christ that Ward/Peters/Ellis trio....lol.

Also holy mother of god that defense post Pitkanen injury....

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I still don’t have a problem with the Semin contract. It turned out very poorly, but that’s the cost of trying to compete. It takes luck and a good asset(s), in the form of a draft pick or trade assets, to acquire a player with his skill level. JR didn’t have much of a choice there.

The counterargument at the time essentially was that the team wasn’t good enough to compete. In hindsight, that was correct; the organization had underwhelming short-term depth at the NHL level and in the system. However, a retool would have been a tough sell at the time; punting on the prime of a franchise center would have been crazy.

The extent of Semin’s decline is still baffling. He went from a PPG scorer, albeit in a shortened season, to out of the league in about 2.5 years. He was barely 29 when he signed that extension and played a style that was reliant on skill, not speed.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I still don’t have a problem with the Semin contract. It turned out very poorly, but that’s the cost of trying to compete. It takes luck and a good asset(s), in the form of a draft pick or trade assets, to acquire a player with his skill level. JR didn’t have much of a choice there.

The counterargument at the time essentially was that the team wasn’t good enough to compete. In hindsight, that was correct; the organization had underwhelming short-term depth at the NHL level and in the system. However, a retool would have been a tough sell at the time; punting on the prime of a franchise center would have been crazy.

The extent of Semin’s decline is still baffling. He went from a PPG scorer, albeit in a shortened season, to out of the league in about 2.5 years. He was barely 29 when he signed that extension and played a style that was reliant on skill, not speed.

He broke his wrist, and it turned his biggest weapon into a nothing. And then he got fat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That narrative is getting so old.

Semin stopped shooting, and he was a shooter. He had the other offensive elements but he was deadly because of the wrist shot he couldn't take anymore. That line had the one truly successful year because they played like a fourth line, a grinding cycle game with a skill level to execute after the cycle broke the coverage down. The next year they were already dropping because they played more like a skilled first line, which they didn't work well as.

Under the same coach mind you.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I wonder how much Bill Peters and his genius system had to do with Semin turning into a pumpkin.

And Montreal's system and Magnitogorsk Metallurg's system. Maybe the lockout shortened season was the fluke when you look at the whole picture.

9/10: 84 points in 73 games = 1.15 PPG
10/11: 54 points in 65 games = 0.83 PPG
11/12: 54 points in 77 games = 0.70 PPG
12/13: 44 points in 44 games (lockout shortened season) = 1.0 PPG
13/14: 42 points in 65 games = 0.64 PPG
14/15: 19 points in 57 games = 0.33 PPG
15/16: 4 points in 15 games = 0.26 PPG

Reactions: Unsustainable

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
And Montreal's system and Magnitogorsk Metallurg's system. Maybe the lockout shortened season was the fluke when you look at the whole picture.

Yeah, there's a good chance you're right. But I look at Eric Staal, who was pushed to the brink. "Not an nhl center anymore." And when it was time to move on, rather than lose confidence, he made it his goal to prove everyone wrong. This year he's 4th in the NHL in goals.

I don't think everyone is like that. I think you have a guy like Semin who's never really fit in, who isn't a robot athlete who can't help but put in the work. He got kicked down again, and maybe he just wasn't the kind of guy to bounce back. Bill Peters dumb system and dumb personality might have been the adversity that put an end to his willingness to commit himself.

Or maybe it was just his wrist.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
so what's the deal with maenalanen? does anyone expect him to get a spot on the roster

Never seen him play. But he appears to be a great low risk/high reward pickup. He has size, has been improving from a scoring standpoint the past two years in Finnish professional league, and scored 7 goals/4 assists in 7 games in under-20 world championship on a line with Teravainen in 2013.

I expect he gets some time in preseason games, but is ticketed for Charlotte. The hope would be that if he quickly adjusts to the North American rink/style of play he could be called up and help out on both special teams.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I was a pretty big semin apologist but I think hank nailed it here- he messed up his wrist, couldn't play the way he wanted, and it wasn't fun enough or worth it to him anymore to keep working hard. And shoot, if you looked behind you and you saw those defenses he knew were out there with him... I'm not saying he was right, just that I understand

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Never seen him play. But he appears to be a great low risk/high reward pickup. He has size, has been improving from a scoring standpoint the past two years in Finnish professional league, and scored 7 goals/4 assists in 7 games in under-20 world championship on a line with Teravainen in 2013.

I expect he gets some time in preseason games, but is ticketed for Charlotte. The hope would be that if he quickly adjusts to the North American rink/style of play he could be called up and help out on both special teams.

It's summer, so the perfect time to read too much into things, but here goes. :laugh: The Hurricanes official website has a roster listed which includes: Aho, PDG, Ferland, Maenalanen, Martinook, McGinn, Necas, Rask, Skinner, Staal, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Williams and Zykov as their 14 forwards and de Haan, Faulk, Fleury, Hamilton, Pesce, Slavin, TVR as their 7 D.

So other than PDG, Maenalanen, Necas, Svech and Zykov, no other prospects or recent signings are listed on the roster. Not Bean, Foegele, Brown, Kuokkanen, Saarela, Wallmark, McKeown, Carrick, Fora, etc..

I think you are probably right, that barring an injury, Maenalanen may be ticketed for Charlotte, but I think the team is going to give him every shot to make the squad. I would imagine that was part of the negotiations in signing him, that they'd give him a real shot at an NHL job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad