Speculation: Off-Season Roster Building/Line Combos Thread

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I was a pretty big semin apologist but I think hank nailed it here- he messed up his wrist, couldn't play the way he wanted, and it wasn't fun enough or worth it to him anymore to keep working hard. And shoot, if you looked behind you and you saw those defenses he knew were out there with him... I'm not saying he was right, just that I understand
I have news for you: you still are a pretty big Semin apologist. ;)

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
There was a main board thread recently asking us to rank our team's Top 10 most valuable assets (in terms of trade value), and I'm curious to see what you guys thought about our top players.

My list:

1) Svechnikov
2) Aho
3) Slavin
4) Hamilton
5) Necas
6) Teravainen
7) Pesce
8) Skinner
9) Staal
10) Faulk

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
roster talk is bleeding into other threads, time to crank thos bad boy back up.

re: williams: he makes the most sense as rw with staal as the matchup unit. if he can do it, it won't save the season anymore than his inability would sink it, but it's one less thing to worry about. tt with aho and ??? on the "top" line, svech with necas and ??? on the "3rd" line.

can necas and aho both handle center duty this year, or is rask guarenteed a spot in the top 9? i have rask between svech and necas to start.

ferland and mcginn...they don't both get top 9 spots, right? the one who doesn't play with staal goes to the 4th line, or even rides the pine: assuming that, you got the lw with aho and tt wide open. who takes it, zykov, saarela, foege daddy?

damn is our forward corp thin. :cry: at least faulk or pesce is expendable for the obvious need based trade.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't really agree that our forward group is thin. We may still lack the high end talent and are unproven at C, but that could change quickly with Aho, TT, Svech and Necas. IMO, we have 8 legitimate top 9 players and even though two of them are unproven, they are very high level guys: Aho, TT, Ferland, Staal, McGinn, Williams, Svech and Necas. We need 1 of Rask (who could bounce back), Zykov, Foegele, PDG, Wallmark, Saarela, Maenalanen, etc.. to step up and take that 9th spot. I'm not sure why we don't see McGinn and Ferland in the top 9. Ferland scored 21 goals last year and McGinn scored 16 (with a dozen posts). If we can get 15-20 goals from each of them and they play a responsible, physical game, they'd be welcome in the top 9 IMO.

Last year, we had Ryan and Stempniak planned for our top 9 at this point in the season and had no clue what we had in Zykov, Foegele, Saarela, Wallmark, etc... Maybe it's August and I have a "glass half full" view of things right now, but I'm a bit excited to see what these young guys can do. Maybe they will show they aren't ready and the team will struggle, but that's a time to look to move Faulk because other teams will see their own deficiencies on defense and/or to tap into other guys in the AHL.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Aho – Staal – Teravainen – This team needs a 1st line it can count on, on both sides of the puck.
McGinn – Rask – Williams – Meh.
Ferland – Necas – Svechnikov – Heavy offensive zone starts and 2nd tier defensive matchups. An impact 3rd line, potentially.
Zykov – Martinook – Di Giuseppe – Dump and chase.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Personally, I'd rather roll with Necas and Aho at center to see if they can handle it. I'm also plenty happy with Ferland and McGinn in the top 9, especially if those two are at center. Rask can hang out on the 4th and move up if need be situationally.

Same here. If they don't work out, then it's easy to move guys around and use Rask in the top 9. What I'd like to see:

Zykov-Aho-TT
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-PDG/Foegele/Maenalanen (assuming he deserves it).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
TT-Aho-Zykov
Ferland-Necas-Svech
Mcginn-Staal-Williams
Foegle-Rask-whoever earns it
PDG

can martinook or maenalanen pk? i'd much rather waive martinook and pdg and give their spots to kids unless they prove themselves actually valuable

Martinook PK'd in AZ.

Also, I think there is little chance that Martinook isn't starting on the Canes roster. Canes went after him for a reason. Rather than waive those guys and give spots to the kids, how about we make the kids earn it over those guys. Martinook is only 26 and has a couple 25 point seasons under his belt and has shown he's a capable NHLr. PDG will have to earn it as much as anyone.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ferland-Aho-Teravainen
Zykov-Staal-Williams
McGinn/trade-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-Checker that sticks

The only thing I don't like about that is Zykov being on the Staal line. He's a scorer who has the reputation of not being that great defensively (past history, not sure how he was in Charlotte this year). Jordan's going against the top lines night in and night out and don't think the Canes want to dilute that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
A guy like Martinook is perfect. We know what to reasonably expect from him, but if we actually have way too many young guys step up, it's not a big deal to waive him and send him down like we did with Kruger last year. As BBA says, PDG is in a similar situation. I think Martinook is likely to fill a role we need on the 4th line, and fill it well. But if he turns out to be Kruger, not a big deal if they don't waste nearly as much time on him.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The only thing I don't like about that is Zykov being on the Staal line. He's a scorer who has the reputation of not being that great defensively (past history, not sure how he was in Charlotte this year). Jordan's going against the top lines night in and night out and don't think the Canes want to dilute that.
The left side is interchangeable. It’s pretty meh. If Zykov wasn’t 23 (okay Brock is 24 but has many more NHL GP) I’d put him on the “3rd” line. Ideally you could flip McGinn and Zykov and be fine

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Same here. If they don't work out, then it's easy to move guys around and use Rask in the top 9. What I'd like to see:

Zykov-Aho-TT
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Ferland-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-PDG/Foegele/Maenalanen (assuming he deserves it).

This is what I'd like to see to start as well. I can see us going with what Big Daddy Cane suggested if this doesn't work out, but not as the first option.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Mind you, I want to see Aho and Necas in the middle. Giving both the opportunity is the right long-term decision for the organization.

However, dealing with the growing pains of two inexperienced centers, at least on NA ice, may not be in the best short-term interest of the club. If Brind’Amour’s goal is to compete, I can easily see him defaulting to TSA in a hurry. There's already enough question marks up front.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Maybe it's August and I have a "glass half full" view of things right now, but I'm a bit excited to see what these young guys can do.

You know @Boom Boom Apathy people with that level of optimism end up having unrealistic expectations....then all of a sudden they're talkin' about...

terry_chris.png

Rask can hang out on the 4th and move up if need be situationally.

Rask will get a fair amount of powerplay time I'd think. It could positively impact his offensive numbers even if he spends most of the year as a 4th line center. It feels pretty certain that our 4th line won't be getting 3-4 minutes a game....more like 8-10 minutes.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
If another LW is not acquired for Faulk, then this might be fun:
Teravainen/Aho/Svechnikov
McGinn/Staal/Williams
Zykov/Necas/Ferland
Foegele/Rask/Martinook

Necas appears to be more of a distributor, so give him two players who have decent shots and can attack the net. Putting Svechnikov with Aho and TT also gives him the best chance to have a monster rookie season. Finally, Ferland played RW with Gaudreau and Monahan, so it might be best to keep him on that side.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
McGinn - Staal - Williams
This line takes the toughest draws.

Zykov - Aho - TT
This is the 1st O line that takes on the 2nd hardest assignments.

Ferland - Necas - Svechnikov
If the rookies come as advertised, this line is going to embarrass 3rd lines.

Foegele - Martinook - Rask
Good energy, PK, and possibly scoring out of this 4th line.

Slavin - Hamilton
de Haan - Pesce
Fluery - Faulk
TVR

Mzarek
Darling

I think we should package Rask + Faulk for RNH... But that’s just me.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
McGinn - Staal - Williams
This line takes the toughest draws.

Zykov - Aho - TT
This is the 1st O line that takes on the 2nd hardest assignments.

If the rookies come as advertised, this line is going to embarrass 3rd lines.

Foegele - Martinook - Rask
Good energy, PK, and possibly scoring out of this 4th line.

Slavin - Hamilton
de Haan - Pesce
Fluery - Faulk
TVR

Mzarek
Darling

I think we should package Rask + Faulk for RNH... But that’s just me.

I like Rask + Faulk for RNH. But then I like the third line as RNH - Necas - Svechnikov. RNH could take the key face-offs (even though he isn't great in the circle) and add solid two-way play.
Put Ferland with Foegele and Martinook.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I like Rask + Faulk for RNH. But then I like the third line as RNH - Necas - Svechnikov. RNH could take the key face-offs (even though he isn't great in the circle) and add solid two-way play.
Put Ferland with Foegele and Martinook.

If we did that trade:

RNH - Aho - TT
Zykov - Staal - Williams
McGinn - Martinook - Foegele

Reactions: SvechNecas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->