Speculation: Off-Season Roster Building/Line Combos Thread

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I remember I came down for a game against the Rangers in March in Semin’s first year and he wound up scratched like 2 hours before the game. The D corps was bad enough McBain was killing penalties and he played it so unbelievably badly I couldn’t believe he was an NHL defenseman.

I think Zac Dalpe scored the only Canes goal.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Was thinking about how little chemistry Canes players have with eachother.

Other than TT/Aho and Slavin/Pesce, is there any other combo in recent history where putting 2 guys together elevated their play?

Ive screamed it for years in the Kirk & Bill eras, but it’s hard to build chemistry when you’re switching up the lineup just about every night.

Though a big problem to that was our offense was built around Skinner every year and he truly hasn’t meshed with really anyone.

Rod played on a few effective long term lines over the years, most notably the BBC. Hope we can see him use some more consistency in the lineup to help build chemistry.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Getting back to line combinations. There was an interesting post at Canes and Coffee about Teravainen and Maenalanen having chemistry. When I looked up the stats, they actually scored significantly more at the under-20 WC than Necas and Zadina.

There might be a possibility to reunite them either on Aho's wings or to put two Finns (TT and Maenalanen) with Necas and two Russians (Zykov and Svechnikov) with Aho.

As a third line, Maenalanen/Necas/Teravainen could be productive. That would also allow McGinn/Staal/Williams to be a tough to face second line. The fourth line could be some combination of Ferland/Martinook/Foegele centered by Rask, which would be two physical wingers and more scoring upside than a Carolina fourth line in many years.

My guess is Maenalanen spends the entire year in the AHL, but should his chemistry with Teravainen work in the NHL, it would create some nice options.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I keep forgetting the Canes signed Maenalanen. I would think the Canes told him he would get a legit shot at the NHL roster before he signed on, so I'm not sure he'll be AHL bound.

At a glance, he's put up 101 pts in 159 games on Karpat in the Liiga, which is the same team/league Aho was a ppg player. IIRC Liiga is maybe a step behind the SHL but still a top 4 or 5 league in the world, certainly considered more challenging than the AHL from everything I've read. I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to make the jump.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This team is going to be sooooo young this year. Probably only 5-6 skaters currently over 25 (assuming 1 of Skinner/Faulk gets moved)

Svech: 18, Necas: 19, Aho: 20, TT: 23, Zykov: 23, Maenalanen: 24, PDG: 24, McGinn: 24; Rask: 25; Martinook: 25; Ferland: 26; Staal: 29; Williams: 35 (Skinner: 26)
Fleury: 22; Pesce: 23, Slavin: 24, Hamilton: 25; TVR: 26; CDH: 26 (Faulk: 26)

Of course, if Skinner/Faulk are traded, it will depend on what the return is, but I don't think it will make the team older.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
At a glance, he's put up 101 pts in 159 games on Karpat in the Liiga, which is the same team/league Aho was a ppg player. IIRC Liiga is maybe a step behind the SHL but still a top 4 or 5 league in the world, certainly considered more challenging than the AHL from everything I've read. I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to make the jump.

I just realized he’s 6’4. Wonder if he has any physicality to his game. It actually wouldn’t shock me either if he makes the team and ends up being a pretty good middle 6 forward for us. Put up 46pts in 59 games last year, that’s pretty darn good

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You mean "before Semin got a long term, high dollar contract".

Don’t ever go back to a main board thread about that contract signing unless you want to see a lot of us acting like sanctimonious douche bags about how great Semin is and he just wasn’t appreciated in Washington blah blah blah. Not all of us for sure, but I know one notable one that used to post a lot and doesn’t anymore probably because he got sick of being wrong all the time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Don’t ever go back to a main board thread about that contract signing unless you want to see a lot of us acting like sanctimonious *****e bags about how great Semin is and he just wasn’t appreciated in Washington blah blah blah. Not all of us for sure, but I know one notable one that used to post a lot and doesn’t anymore probably because he got sick of being wrong all the time.

Nice thing about being older, is it's much easier to forget! :laugh:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Don’t ever go back to a main board thread about that contract signing unless you want to see a lot of us acting like sanctimonious *****e bags about how great Semin is and he just wasn’t appreciated in Washington blah blah blah. Not all of us for sure, but I know one notable one that used to post a lot and doesn’t anymore probably because he got sick of being wrong all the time.

Link pls

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad