Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Out of the east, the worst draw is probably Tampa ratings wise.
WSH has Ovie as a superstar draw (I think Stamkos doesn't quite have the same presence).
MTL and NYR are both 06 teams and large markets, plus MTL has the Canadian side of things for ratings too.

In the west, it'd be either Anaheim or Minnesota as the worst draw.
Chicago's an 06 team.
Calgary is a Canadian market. Plus if it was against either of Tampa or Montreal there'd be some bonus ratings either for history or all-Canadian matchup.
Minnesota is great regionally, but not sure they draw nationally very well? And Anaheim is a 'California' team.

So I think it comes down to either MIN-TBL or ANA-TBL as the worst TV ratings.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Wild-Lightning?

Both teams are fairly big in their regional areas but lack national appeal. At least with Calgary you'll get some interest from Canada

Billy Mays Here*

Worst draw is anyone but Chicago vs anyone but New York, though Washington might not be that bad for ratings either.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
Do large amounts of viewers give a damn in Wahington?

dont know about TV ratings, but the Caps finished 5th in the league in total attendance, and dominate the Wizards / Nats on talk radio. Redskins are still number one by many miles, but I think Caps are #2 here. Plus of course having the best and most exciting goal scorer of a generation trying to finally get a cup doesn't hurt.

also while DC itself is tiny, the surrounding Washington area and suburbs are enormous. 6 million people, 7th largest metro area in the country.

not saying Caps would be the best TV ratings matchup -- just that they'd be far from the worst.

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
They would not set the States on fire, In the USA, no one cares about the Habs, except maybe Bruins fans who hate them lol.

Here's my take on the relationship between Bruins fans and the Habs. No doubt it'll provoke argument.

Bruins fans follow the Habs only slightly less closely than they do the Bruins. They're frustrated at every round the Habs win. Their hatred is particularly intense right now for two reasons. First, the Habs upset the Bruins in the 2014 playoffs. Second, the Habs just eliminated the Sens, the team that usurped the wild card spot the Bruins thought was theirs.

Predictably Bruins fans will remind everyone that the Habs haven't won a Cup since 1993. That much is true. Since these Habs are unlikely to get very far in the 2015 playoffs the Bruins fans will have something to cheer about at last.

Homerhawk

Aug 15, 2007
Best ratings would center around Montreal or NYR making the finals, with Chicago probably being the biggest draw out west. However, I'm sure NBC and the NHL would be thrilled to break out all the Winter Classic footage for a Washington v Chicago final.

Agreed on Tampa v Anaheim being the lowest ratings draw.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Worst would likely be Minnesota - Tampa. Two cities that are 'small' markets and don't garner a lot of interest outside their city.

Biggest would be Chicago vs Montreal

PricePkPatch*

Here's my take on the relationship between Bruins fans and the Habs. No doubt it'll provoke argument.

Bruins fans follow the Habs only slightly less closely than they do the Bruins. They're frustrated at every round the Habs win. Their hatred is particularly intense right now for two reasons. First, the Habs upset the Bruins in the 2014 playoffs. Second, the Habs just eliminated the Sens, the team that usurped the wild card spot the Bruins thought was theirs.

Predictably Bruins fans will remind everyone that the Habs haven't won a Cup since 1993. That much is true. Since these Habs are unlikely to get very far in the 2015 playoffs the Bruins fans will have something to cheer about at last.

Dont be silly, and dont psychoanalyze a full fanbase..

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
TBL vs MIN would probably draw the least. CHI vs NYR/MTL the most (Americans will watch a New York team because they have heard of them).

As for the Caps, note that despite continuing to sell out Verizon Center, both actual attendance and local TV ratings are down 30% since the 2012-13 season. They'd probably rebound for a Cup final, but that's what they are right now (as of the conclusion of round 1).

mnwild16

May 29, 2014
Duluth, MN
Worst would likely be Minnesota - Tampa. Two cities that are 'small' markets and don't garner a lot of interest outside their city.

Biggest would be Chicago vs Montreal

I understand when it comes to Minnesota that we don't garner the attention of the eastern or western cities as much as say chicago. Yet, the wild don't just draw from their city, they also have big fanbases all through out the state as well as the Dakotas and parts of Wisconsin. But sadly minnesota would probably be one of the lower rating finals.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Tampa - Anaheim

Two warm weather cities. And even a lot of Canadian fans wouldn't really care about the series.

PricePkPatch*

eh not sure, americans would just switch to basketball and baseball if it was both canadian teams imo

Flash news! Ott-Can series drew more national viewership in some of their game than all-US matchups of the same night.

American National viewership.

Sorry to break it to you, but the habs draw American eyes on the screen

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Flash news! Ott-Can series drew more national viewership in some of their game than all-US matchups of the same night.

American National viewership.

Sorry to break it to you, but the habs draw American eyes on the screen

if there is a curry vs lebron nba final i can basically tell you that would overtake any hockey in the usa

heck if lebron gets to the finals, nearly every tv screen will be watching him

PricePkPatch*

if there is a curry vs lebron nba final i can basically tell you that would overtake any hockey in the usa

heck if lebron gets to the finals, nearly every tv screen will be watching him

But thats irrelevant to the argument. We arent making a point of which sort of NBA matchup would diminish NHL viewership.

Plus, lemme tell you that if there is a big NBA matchup in the finals, a Habs-XXX SC finals will bring way more american viewers anyway. The number of canadian expatriates who dont really care about Basket will tune for the hockey

Davebo*

In the US, Rangers and Blackhawks would be the best ratings draw.

Calgary and Montreal the worst.

Yeah, but I bet the overall ratings would be higher with Habs vs Flames - against any US matchup.

And there are more Habs fans in the US than I bet most of you know.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
But thats irrelevant to the argument. We arent making a point of which sort of NBA matchup would diminish NHL viewership.

Plus, lemme tell you that if there is a big NBA matchup in the finals, a Habs-XXX SC finals will bring way more american viewers anyway. The number of canadian expatriates who dont really care about Basket will tune for the hockey

right and im telling you that more people care about other sports. if there is no american team people will not watch as much as if there was an american team

for example:

lastly: april 24 was game 5 for habs

NBA first-round playoff action again (though this time on ESPN) led the cable sports landscape on Friday with the Los Angeles Clippers vs San Antonio Spurs game averaging 3.411 million viewers and a 1.4 adults 18-49 rating. Earlier the Houston Rockets vs Dallas Mavericks averaged 2.465 million viewers and a 1.0 adults 18-49 rating.

NASCAR Xfinity Series racing’s ToyotaCare 250 from Richmond on FS1 averaged 1.068 million viewers and a 0.2 adults 18-49 rating.

‘Pardon the Interruption’ averaged 1.032M viewers and a 0.4 adults 18-49 rating.

PBC Boxing on Spike averaged 599,000 viewers and a 0.2 adults 18-49 rating.

Penguins/Rangers on NBCSN averaged 627,000 viewers and a 0.2 adults 18-49 rating.

PBC Boxing on Spike averaged 569,000 viewers and a 0.2 adults 18-49 rating.

Wild/Blues on NBCSN averaged 523,000 viewers and a 0.2 adults 18-49 rating.

Friday cable updated with full table 228K for Senators/Canadiens on CNBC

see how a sports tv show got more views then a hockey game? or how about nascar?

even boxing got more views

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
The biggest ratings draw would be something like MTL-CHI. Biggest fan base plus what I assume is a good enough following in the US for Chicago. Maybe MTL-CGY would surpass it.

PricePkPatch*

right and im telling you that more people care about other sports. if there is no american team people will not watch as much as if there was an american team

for example:

lastly: april 24 was game 5 for habs

see how a sports tv show got more views then a hockey game? or how about nascar?

even boxing got more views

Are you even paying attention to this discussion?

What you are babbling is irrelevant

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Are you even paying attention to this discussion?

What you are babbling is irrelevant

yes i am, the topic is who would be the best ratings, montreal in america would not be the best ratings based off what i showed. with all the other sports going on montreal and ottawa got the lowest views. disregard basketball and they still got the lowest views. they will not be a higher viewer in america. if montreal makes it, whoever the western conference team is will decide whether or not america watches the finals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad