Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
You people are so funny. You think Anaheim is bad ratings wise. Yet last year LA was in the finals. Does anyone realize the Staples Center and the Honda Center are about 22 miles apart from each other?

Not to mention there is more fan crossover than anyone on here would ever dare mention..

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
I think the best ratings would quite obviously be CHI-NYR. Obviously Montreal has the biggest fanbase but they are mostly Canadians, most of whom will watch the SCF even if their team is not involved.

Worst one would be TBL-ANA simply due to the fanbases not being as big as the other remaining teams fanbases are, but I do think it would be a very entertaining series.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I believe the last Tampa-Calgary series had the worst U.S. ratings in recent history at least (personally wouldn't have a problem with that!). Don't know if Canada made up for that.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
Essentially Tampa and anyone. If TB makes it to the SCF, everyone will call the WCF the series as the real SCF.

No knock on Tampa but a series like Chicago Vs Ducks will bring in better ratings on both sides of the border

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Didn't Vancouver-Boston get the best US ratings of all-time?

Ana-Tamp for the worst.

Calgary-New York or Chicago - NY for the best.

Yep. I actually think Calgary/Montreal would do fairly well in the US. A lot of Hab fans live in warmer climates like Florida. And a lot of people who support Calgary simply out of hatred for Montreal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I imagine Gaudreau would draw quite a bit of focus from the East Coast. Does Pacioretty have any following in the US?
Max Pac only has a following for his burger in Boston :sarcasm:

Flames/Canadiens I think would be a flop in the US but be the best for Canadian ratings.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
It's very true that most of us Canadians will watch anyway haha. Doesn't really matter who it is for us. Though if Montreal or Calgary were involved, it would be even bigger.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Any SCF with Washington in it will not do TOO badly. People will be interested to see if this team can finally win a SC.

TheyTuukkaMyCup

Mar 18, 2014
Man some people are really clowning on the MN market. When I went down there it was crazy the support they had.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Speaking as an American and a Bruins fan I would much rather watch Montreal vs Calgary than most other matchups. I would be cheering for Montreal to lose, but I would be watching, I'm not sure if I would have much interest in a Washington vs Minn. finals.

Mynameismark*

Calgary vs. Montreal would be ratings death in the US but at least it would pull big numbers in Canada. Anahiem vs. Tampa would most likely do poorly on both sides of the border but given the teams left I don't think anything outside of NY vs Chicago is going to deliver 'blockbuster' ratings (by hockey's standards) in the US... Perhaps Chicago vs. Washington could do well if Ovechkin is having a 'historic' playoffs heading into the final.

Again...you've got Montreal in there. I am willing to bet, outside of the teams main market...out of market fans in the US would be more interested to watch the Habs either win or lose than they would for some other american based team that means nothing to an american that doesnt have a team still in the playoffs.

For sure the NYR being in is a big deal...but asides from that, those other teams...Montreal is the bigger draw. It's proven by gate revenue and by the ratings in the US for the first round alone.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Max Pac only has a following for his burger in Boston :sarcasm:

Flames/Canadiens I think would be a flop in the US but be the best for Canadian ratings.

Just imagine all of the coverage that TSN and SN would be giving that matchup. Heck the nightly news would cover it too. I wonder how huge the rating would be here in Canada for a all Canadian final.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Best is easy:

NYR/Chicago (probably an even bigger ratings boon than NYR/LA)

worst is probably:

Anaheim/Tampa or Calgary/Tampa

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Also, I don't know what Washington's ratings are, but they were regulars in NBC's Sunday match-ups. Minny has a solid fan-base - they're actually a bigger base than St Louis. Montreal is Montreal but wouldn't gain much interest in the U.S. In Canada they'd be strong.

Basically the weakest links would be Tampa, Anaheim and Calgary (in U.S. interest mainly).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd be interested to see how well a Washington vs. Minnesota final would do.

I think that would draw lots of interest. Minnesota would deliver massive ratings at home and in most of Wisconsin so a solid number. Ovie is a big draw and the NHL could get a spike seeing him chase his cup. With that cup the debate of Ovie vs. Crosby takes a different spin especially if he is the best player in the cup finals something Crosby was not. I think that will attract a lot of eyeballs.

Agree with the assessment it is Anaheim vs. Tampa.

For the record I think the NHL is stuck with Anaheim whether they like it or not, I see them advancing out of the west.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think that would draw lots of interest. Minnesota would deliver massive ratings at home and in most of Wisconsin so a solid number. Ovie is a big draw and the NHL could get a spike seeing him chase his cup. With that cup the debate of Ovie vs. Crosby takes a different spin especially if he is the best player in the cup finals something Crosby was not. I think that will attract a lot of eyeballs.

Agree with the assessment it is Anaheim vs. Tampa.

For the record I think the NHL is stuck with Anaheim whether they like it or not, I see them advancing out of the west.

I have Chicago advancing in the West. One of those two though. Or Calgary. :handclap:

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Anything involving the Rangers AINEC.

What...what do you mean I'm a Devils homer? Wherever would you get that crazy idea??

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
My first thought was Calgary/TB. Rematch. I believe that was the worst way back when. Would be similar, although people would want to see Stamkos and the Calgary kids, lol. Never happen though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad