Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Let's just say NBC is hoping and praying that it's Chicago and not any of the other three teams from the West to reach the Finals.

From the East...likely Tampa

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Somehow I think a Minnesota-Rangers series wouldn't be all that much worse than Hawks-Rangers. Pretty much everyone in Minnesota and the Eastern Dakotas would be watching on NBC.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
For this you gotta kinda take all of us, and the guys like us out of the equation. We're pretty much all gonna watch no matter what.

It's the bandwagoners that boost ratings, so whose the sexay match.
Likely CHI/NYR.

o6 match to hype. both strong US markets to hype.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
still...basically MTL anything is gonna set the world on fire...Habs have the biggest following

No, not still. He's right. No one cares about the Habs in the US. They themselves would not be able to draw the numbers you're thinking in the US. And yes the US number are more important considering we have states with higher populations than Canada.

PricePkPatch*

No, not still. He's right. No one cares about the Habs in the US. They themselves would not be able to draw the numbers you're thinking in the US. And yes the US number are more important considering we have states with higher populations than Canada.

Except, you know, the stats posted just above your post showing that Habs-Sens matchup drew more viewers on average than many american matchup.

Habs have a bigger American following than many American teams.currently in the playoffs, and this following isnt regional. So national TV would still sell.

Zakkk

Nov 18, 2011
Wouldn't a team like Wild draw big ratings? You know, "state of hockey".

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

We're getting excellent ratings on Fox Sports North so far these playoffs. I have to imagine if we get to the SCF, which is televised over the air, ratings would just jump up even higher for our neck of the woods.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
For people saying Montreal doesn't draw in the US take a look at the TV Ratings thread in the Business of Hockey forum. US TV numbers for the Habs/Sens games are:

Game1: Didn't see any data (maybe not on US TV?)
Game2: 289K on CNBC
Game3: 835K on NBCSN (#1 of any NHL game on this day)
Game4: 454K on USA
Game5: 228K on NBCSN
Game6: 971K on NBCSN (#1 of any first round game)

These numbers exclude in market numbers from local broadcasters but for comparison sakes of how these networks drew with all-American matchups the next highest are:

NBCSN - 719K for NYR/PIT
CNBC - 372K for WAS/NYI
USA - 542K for WAS/NYI

So Montreal/Ottawa game 6 drew 252K more than any out of market US teams. Doesn't look like the Habs would be a death blow unless there are a tonne of Sens fans in the US.

And you just ended any American anti-hab argument that came up or will come up. I think a habs/flames or habs/hawks would draw the most

See above

boom

/thread

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think you would get alot of Wild fans watching, but it probably won't do as well with neutral hockey fans as Chicago or even Anaheim.

I do think though in the big Picture the local fans of the Wild trump people who would watch Anaheim

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Chicago and New York would have the best rating. Calgary/Tampa Bay would be a good one too since it's a rematch.

Minnesota/Montreal I think would be pretty low.

Minnesota is State of Hockey. Don't they have max. number of registered hockey players or something? By extension of which, they would have a huge fanbase?

Montreal has a huge fanbase. I don't think NHL would be shedding a single drop of tear if an original 6 team made cup finals.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
The answer to the OPs question is definitely Tampa vs Anaheim.

NBC is hoping for NYR vs Chicago

But I think the best ratings overall would be Montréal vs Chicago

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
And you just ended any American anti-hab argument that came up or will come up. I think a habs/flames or habs/hawks would draw the most

See above

boom

/thread

Agree, I believe Habs vs Hawks would draw very well. I believe the 71 Finals between these two teams is top 5 in ratings of all time, a time where technology wasn't as advanced today making hyping games a lot harder.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
For the American posters here, trust me, Habs have a big following in the US. whether it's with ex-pats or fans along the border, Habs have a ton of US east coast and central US fans

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Agree, I believe Habs vs Hawks would draw very well. I believe the 71 Finals between these two teams is top 5 in ratings of all time, a time where technology wasn't as advanced today making hyping games a lot harder.

any 06 series is big mon/NYR vs Chi would draw incredibly well....
TB vs Ana would be a fun series but it wouldn't really draw..it's a sunbelt regional type series

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Anaheim vs. Tampa I would guess. Chicago, Minnesota, and Calgary would all draw....would Calgary's Canadian fan base be enough to pass Anaheim?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Anaheim vs. Tampa I would guess. Chicago, Minnesota, and Calgary would all draw....would Calgary's Canadian fan base be enough to pass Anaheim?

Why would Minn draw. Good team, but I don't see a lot of appeal to the avg american fan, since I assume all Canadians are watching regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad