Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

Jul 22, 2012
Ducks/Tampa would probably have the lowest ratings, not going to deny that. Ironically, it would probably the most entertaining series to watch.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
As a hockey fan, I'd love to see two Canadian teams going at it in the Finals a lot more than watching Tampa and Anaheim. The atmosphere plays a big role. Sorry to Tampa and Anaheim fans.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
I don't care if It's Calgary/Montreal or Tampa/Anaheim, I'm watching regardless. I don't care if it's in my country or not.

To answer the question, I suppose I'd say Tampa/Anaheim.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
bolts/ducks would definitely be the worst in terms of ratings

in terms of actual entertainment, i'd say wild/bolts would be a snoozefest

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
You people are so funny. You think Anaheim is bad ratings wise. Yet last year LA was in the finals. Does anyone realize the Staples Center and the Honda Center are about 22 miles apart from each other?

And sometimes over a 2 hour drive.

I never understand the fans who care about ratings. You should only care about the best quality of hockey if you're a real fan of the sport. Its not like the old days when you had to worry that no network would even carry games anymore ... Hell you don't even need TV service to watch anymore.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
anyone know off hand what year had the best ratings of all time?

I think someone mentioned bos/van but didnt see any facts. My first thought would have been pitt/det finals or chi/bos

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Ducks/Tampa would probably have the lowest ratings, not going to deny that. Ironically, it would probably the most entertaining series to watch.

This. So much this. I really wanted to see San Jose//Tampa in 2011, this would be a very similar series if it happens and would be hugely entertaining.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
anyone know off hand what year had the best ratings of all time?

I think someone mentioned bos/van but didnt see any facts. My first thought would have been pitt/det finals or chi/bos

If I remember right it is Chicago vs. Boston.

I think the second Pittsburgh vs Detroit holds the record for local market share in terms of ratings, but I could be wrong.

In the United States we don't necessarily get access to the Canadian numbers though.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT

I think the second Pittsburgh vs Detroit holds the record for local market share in terms of ratings, but I could be wrong.

In the United States we don't necessarily get access to the Canadian numbers though.

Gotcha thanks!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
And sometimes over a 2 hour drive.

I never understand the fans who care about ratings. You should only care about the best quality of hockey if you're a real fan of the sport. Its not like the old days when you had to worry that no network would even carry games anymore ... Hell you don't even need TV service to watch anymore.
The ratings and tv deals are important because they are what drives revenue for the NFL. Hence, they have become the de facto way of measuring interest.

I am all for having Canadian teams in the finals. I want to watch the two best teams play regardless of where they are from. But I am an anomaly here in the States. Let's not kid ourselves about the league's vision. It is operating like a restaurant chain where you don't open a restaurant in a place where everybody already eats your food... You open one in an area where nobody eats your food then you get them to start eating your food.

We can debate about whether or not that is a sound or practical strategy, but at the end of the day the league seems pretty dead set on it.

I would liken the Maple Leafs and Canadiens to restaurants which continually have lines out the door. Opening another restaurant (team) next door would allow you to get customers through quicker (people currently on season ticket waiting lists). But that isn't what they are after. The league (not to mention the Leafs and Habs) is after market share and television viewership. While the league may be run mostly by local revenue in the form of attendence and merchandise, the NHL wishes or wants to be like the NFL and be all about corporate partnerships and tv deals.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
wsh/calgary
TB/calgary

Minny and tampa/washington will be below the likes of any combination of NYR/Montreal Anaheim(godihatethem) and Chicago

mmbt

Cheeky Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
California
Visit site
The ratings and tv deals are important because they are what drives revenue for the NFL. Hence, they have become the de facto way of measuring interest.

Well you've explained why the owners and players should care. But why should a fan care? In the old days when the games might not be shown if there was little interest it was one thing. But now there's a zillion channels and online streams to watch even obscure sports. You'll see your NHL games if you want. So why should I as a fan give a rats ass whether or not the league increases its revenue stream?

If anything I don't want it to become like the NFL where all the greed, new stadiums, and chasing of corporate money has all but priced out the average blue collar fan.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO

I thought I remember reading that both Detroit/Pittsburgh Finals were the highest rated Finals since Detroit was last in the Finals in 2002, is that right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad