Of the 8 teams left, which SCF matchup would be a ratings flop?

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Calgary vs. Montreal would be ratings death in the US but at least it would pull big numbers in Canada. Anahiem vs. Tampa would most likely do poorly on both sides of the border but given the teams left I don't think anything outside of NY vs Chicago is going to deliver 'blockbuster' ratings (by hockey's standards) in the US... Perhaps Chicago vs. Washington could do well if Ovechkin is having a 'historic' playoffs heading into the final.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Bettman has been trying for 3 decades to make Hockey a bigtime TV sport in the American market. Hasn't happened yet. Canadian TV ratings drive the bus. Always have, always will. Look at the $$$ in the last Canadian TV deal.

Calgary - Montreal by a mile.

Yawn. Is it 2008 again?

Bettman has grown the game in the US exponentially. The last US TV deal was record setting, and it will continue to grow, as it has in the past three decades (moreso in the last 10 years or so)

As hockey crazy as Canada is, the US dwarfs them in terms of potential viewers. I wouldn't be so sure that Canada will always "drive the bus" as you say.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Including both US and Canada, I think that CHI-MTL would bring in the most money as of this year.

MTL has the largest market, and actually has quite a large following in the states, especially the southern ones.

Chicago, has a large local hockey market, and it also has fans on both sides of the border.

I also think it would be a pretty exciting matchup.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
yes i am, the topic is who would be the best ratings, montreal in america would not be the best ratings based off what i showed. with all the other sports going on montreal and ottawa got the lowest views. disregard basketball and they still got the lowest views. they will not be a higher viewer in america. if montreal makes it, whoever the western conference team is will decide whether or not america watches the finals

As earlier posts have shown (see post #38), you're cherry picking your data.

Anyway, since there is always something else "better" on US television - hoops, college sports, poker, fishing, cars driving in circles - any growth in hockey viewership is going to be modest and not be anything ever to be really excited about.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
yes i am, the topic is who would be the best ratings, montreal in america would not be the best ratings based off what i showed. with all the other sports going on montreal and ottawa got the lowest views. disregard basketball and they still got the lowest views. they will not be a higher viewer in america. if montreal makes it, whoever the western conference team is will decide whether or not america watches the finals

This is laughably incorrect. Habs draw incredibly well in the US, probably the best out of all Canadian teams. Hell, there are habs fans other than myself even in Orange County.

I'm hoping for a ANA-MTL final, other than them being my two teams, I just think it would be great for awareness and growth of hockey in SoCal if we could bring Cali two cups in two years. Playing against an o6 giant just adds to the hype/awareness.

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Chicago/Montreal or Chicago/New York would get the highest ratings, easily.

The worst would be Anaheim/Tampa Bay.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Calgary vs. Montreal would be ratings death in the US but at least it would pull big numbers in Canada. Anahiem vs. Tampa would most likely do poorly on both sides of the border but given the teams left I don't think anything outside of NY vs Chicago is going to deliver 'blockbuster' ratings (by hockey's standards) in the US... Perhaps Chicago vs. Washington could do well if Ovechkin is having a 'historic' playoffs heading into the final.
Agreed. I think the 2nd / 3rd round is a bust, too. It's boring (matchups are a snooze) and the NHL has a problem on its hands this year. Anything other than Chicago-NYR or *maybe* Chicago-Washington (for the only reason of hyping up Ovechkin's first Finals - zzzzzzz) will be a major ratings disaster.

Montreal-Calgary would be good ratings wise in Canada but would be negligible in the USA.

Unfortunately, I don't think Calgary will get past Anaheim.

An Anaheim-Tampa matchup would be a ratings flop for sure. It would be bad for hockey in general, also. I don't buy this theory that these teams having success somehow instantly improves hockey enthusiasm in the U.S. When Tampa and Anaheim made their respective Finals appearances, CBC's HNIC interviewed people on the street (in those respective fan areas! - for e.g. outside the arena) to ask about the team's presence in the Finals. Most of the people interviewed had no clue or interest. This is during the time when the team was ACTUALLY in the Finals. What's changed?

Two sun belt teams playing on crappy ice in June isn't going to do anything to gather attention for the game or bring out more fans (from the US - which is where the NHL is always desperately trying to provoke more attention, support and enthusiasm).

I hope that Calgary or Chicago make it and win (the Cup) - regardless of realities - but I suspect the ratings won't be good, imho, since I doubt there will be a matchup that the NHL covets - but, I wouldn't mind Chicago-NYR, at least.

Last edited:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
This is laughably incorrect. Habs draw incredibly well in the US, probably the best out of all Canadian teams. Hell, there are habs fans other than myself even in Orange County.

I'm hoping for a ANA-MTL final, other than them being my two teams, I just think it would be great for awareness and growth of hockey in SoCal if we could bring Cali two cups in two years. Playing against an o6 giant just adds to the hype/awareness.
What nonsense.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA

Anyway, since there is always something else "better" on US television - hoops, college sports, poker, fishing, cars driving in circles - any growth in hockey viewership is going to be modest and not be anything ever to be really excited about.

That is where I take exception in his argument. By his logic, why even try and grow the game in the US? There will always be competing sports television on, and it's definitely grown in spades here, but these things take years to really see the fruits of their labor.

Just in the last five years in SoCal it's gone from a novelty to something people are really excited about. We have a ton of new youth and adult leagues, sports bars constantly showing hockey, grassroots community gatherings organized by Ducks and Kings street teams, etc. I can't even walk down the street anymore without people stopping me about my Ducks gear or seeing team flags, jerseys and other stuff. I can actually go to a bar and sit down and discuss hockey.. (ie not me sitting there trying to explain icing, people actually get it now) People are taking note in a big way, and I don't see it slowing down.

An Anaheim-Tampa matchup would be a ratings flop for sure. It would be bad for hockey in general, also. I don't buy this theory that these teams having success somehow instantly improves hockey enthusiasm in the U.S. When Tampa and Anaheim made their respective Finals appearances, CBC's HNIC interviewed people on the street (in those respective fan areas! - for e.g. outside the arena) to ask about the team's presence in the Finals. Most of the people interviewed had no clue or interest. This is during the time when the team was ACTUALLY in the Finals. What's changed?

Two sun belt teams playing on crappy ice in June isn't going to do anything to gather attention for the game or bring out more fans (from the US - which is where the NHL is always desperately trying to provoke more attention, support and enthusiasm).

I hope that Calgary or Chicago make it and win (the Cup) - regardless of realities - but I suspect the ratings won't be good, imho, since I doubt there will be a matchup that the NHL covets - but, I wouldn't mind Chicago-NYR, at least.
A lot has changed. As I stated above, Anaheim in particular has taken a more grassroots approach in the last 5-8 years, especially with the younger generations.

What nonsense.

I challenge you to say that after actually living here and seeing it grow before your eyes. Hell, just taking a drive around OC would prove you false.

Last edited:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

How did he 'cherry pick' his data? Did Montreal and Ottawa series NOT have the lowest ratings for the American markets that showed the games?

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
How did he 'cherry pick' his data? Did Montreal and Ottawa series NOT have the lowest ratings for the American markets that showed the games?

For people saying Montreal doesn't draw in the US take a look at the TV Ratings thread in the Business of Hockey forum. US TV numbers for the Habs/Sens games are:

Game1: Didn't see any data (maybe not on US TV?)
Game2: 289K on CNBC
Game3: 835K on NBCSN (#1 of any NHL game on this day)
Game4: 454K on USA
Game5: 228K on NBCSN
Game6: 971K on NBCSN (#1 of any first round game)

These numbers exclude in market numbers from local broadcasters but for comparison sakes of how these networks drew with all-American matchups the next highest are:

NBCSN - 719K for NYR/PIT
CNBC - 372K for WAS/NYI
USA - 542K for WAS/NYI

So Montreal/Ottawa game 6 drew 252K more than any out of market US teams. Doesn't look like the Habs would be a death blow unless there are a tonne of Sens fans in the US.

Keep it up! :laugh:

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
In the US :
Montreal-Calgary (NBC might as well skip it), No local market and no one in the States would care,

....but it would be huge in Canada.

NYR-CHI would be great for the States.

I doubt we'd even get a single game in primetime NBC. The entire series would be on NBCSN. I think in 2012 , game 3 or 4 between LA-NJ was pushed to NBCSN because Amerca's Got Talent was on and it was a bigger rating draw.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
That is where I take exception in his argument. By his logic, why even try and grow the game in the US? There will always be competing sports television on, and it's definitely grown in spades here, but these things take years to really see the fruits of their labor.

Just in the last five years in SoCal it's gone from a novelty to something people are really excited about. We have a ton of new youth and adult leagues, sports bars constantly showing hockey, grassroots community gatherings organized by Ducks and Kings street teams, etc. I can't even walk down the street anymore without people stopping me about my Ducks gear or seeing team flags, jerseys and other stuff. I can actually go to a bar and sit down and discuss hockey.. (ie not me sitting there trying to explain icing, people actually get it now) People are taking note in a big way, and I don't see it slowing down.

A lot has changed. As I stated above, Anaheim in particular has taken a more grassroots approach in the last 5-8 years, especially with the younger generations.

I challenge you to say that after actually living here and seeing it grow before your eyes. Hell, just taking a drive around OC would prove you false.
Blah, blah, blah. Nonsense. You just stated, by your own words, that hockey in SoCal. went from a 'novelty' (in the last five years). So, this is after the Gretzky trade, right? So, logically speaking, going by your own words, NHL hockey in SoCal. 'died down' post-Gretzky. So, it's like a short-term fad and is heavily dependent on the team winning - and even then, there's no guarantee. There's too much competition in SoCal including other sports. Well, I guess they do better than Florida teams.

Look at the Florida teams, btw. Similar situation in a sun belt. But, in Miami and Tampa, they had half-empty rinks (especially, Miami) and both teams were trying for a playoff birth. Then, they prevented out of town fans from buying tickets as they were concerned about too many fans from the opposing team showing up. Doesn't sound very stable. Anyway....

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Seriously though, I'm jelly of you Canadian fans, you guys live and breathe this amazing sport. We may not be as fanatical as you fine gents, but I'll take the fact that I can FINALLY just discuss this sport with people outside of HF. It's an awesome feeling to go to a bar a strike up a conversation about the playoffs. I'll take that as progress! :cheers:

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Keep it up! :laugh:
Way below the average on most of them. Read Kingsfans28's post - they would probably move a Montreal-Calgary series to NBCSN. Someone else said that, too. It's really exaggerated regarding number of Montreal fans in the U.S. The NHL still wouldn't have the ratings even if one of the teams happened to be Montreal. In addition, this would be happening in June. Lots to do during this month.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Seriously though, I'm jelly of you Canadian fans, you guys live and breathe this amazing sport. We may not be as fanatical as you fine gents, but I'll take the fact that I can FINALLY just discuss this sport with people outside of HF. It's an awesome feeling to go to a bar a strike up a conversation about the playoffs. I'll take that as progress! :cheers:

That's good to hear. Always loved the Ducks.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Blah, blah, blah. Nonsense. You just stated, by your own words, that hockey in SoCal. went from a 'novelty' (in the last five years). So, this is after the Gretzky trade, right? So, logically speaking, going by your own words, NHL hockey in SoCal. 'died down' post-Gretzky. So, it's like a short-term fad and is heavily dependent on the team winning - and even then, there's no guarantee. There's too much competition in SoCal including other sports. Well, I guess they do better than Florida teams.

Yet you don't actually seem to be comprehending what I'm actually saying.

The difference here compared to 2007 is people were already taking note, Ducks aren't banking on fads or spikes in attendance due to team strength. They are playing the long game here.
Think youth leagues, school playground upgrades sponsored by the Ducks, community gatherings, etc. These are future season ticket holders, fans for life types or even possibly NHL players.

Ducks' high school league undergoes expansion
Anaheim Ducks S.C.O.R.E. (Scholastic Curriculum Of Recreation & Education) program
nm1sag-b88369037z.120150330160641000g2f8qv37.10.jpg

ducks.jpg

JackTheTulip

Aug 10, 2008
Montreal

Canadians will watch the SCF no matter what so the best ratings might be two US teams, Chicago-New York.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
April 17th, game 2 for habs: http://sportstvratings.com/pti-blac...rts-tv-ratings-for-friday-april-17-2015/2131/
Habs-sens 289k. also that night caps-isles 372k, and hawks-preds 652k

april 22nd: http://sportstvratings.com/spurs-cl...tico-madrid-for-wednesday-april-22-2015/2160/
habs-sens 484k, blues-wild 404k, rangers-pitt 684k

april 24th: http://sportstvratings.com/clippers...rts-tv-ratings-for-friday-april-24-2015/2179/

habs-sens 228k, wild-blues 527k, pens-rangers 627k

april 26th (the one thats the big one)http://sportstvratings.com/rockets-...le-sports-nets-for-sunday-april-26-2015/2189/

habs-sens 971k. its missing the wild vs blues (but Toronto vs Washington basketball got 2.4 million)

note there are some games missing that I cant find (it only lists one game etc) but right there it shows games 2,4 and 5 didnt do well as the top game.
In game 2 it was the third most popular game
in game 4 it was a little better the wild-blues and far behind pens-rangers
in game 5 it was way behind the blues-wild and pens-rangers
in game 6: i cant find the wild-blues stats but the habs game was up there (behind toronto basketball :sarcasm: )

either way, who knows what americans will watch, you put the worst movie in the world on and most americans will just sit and watch it, you put on i dont know, honey boo boo and they will watch it

JackTheTulip

Aug 10, 2008
Montreal
April 17th, game 2 for habs: http://sportstvratings.com/pti-blac...rts-tv-ratings-for-friday-april-17-2015/2131/
Habs-sens 289k. also that night caps-isles 372k, and hawks-preds 652k

april 22nd: http://sportstvratings.com/spurs-cl...tico-madrid-for-wednesday-april-22-2015/2160/
habs-sens 484k, blues-wild 404k, rangers-pitt 684k

april 24th: http://sportstvratings.com/clippers...rts-tv-ratings-for-friday-april-24-2015/2179/

habs-sens 228k, wild-blues 527k, pens-rangers 627k

april 26th (the one thats the big one)http://sportstvratings.com/rockets-...le-sports-nets-for-sunday-april-26-2015/2189/

habs-sens 971k. its missing the wild vs blues (but Toronto vs Washington basketball got 2.4 million)

note there are some games missing that I cant find (it only lists one game etc) but right there it shows games 2,4 and 5 didnt do well as the top game.
In game 2 it was the third most popular game
in game 4 it was a little better the wild-blues and far behind pens-rangers
in game 5 it was way behind the blues-wild and pens-rangers
in game 6: i cant find the wild-blues stats but the habs game was up there (behind toronto basketball :sarcasm: )

either way, who knows what americans will watch, you put the worst movie in the world on and most americans will just sit and watch it, you put on i dont know, honey boo boo and they will watch it

Those numbers have to be US only. It makes sense that the Habs-Sens game would have the least viewers because it is two canadian teams. Only in Quebec there has to be at the very least three quarters of a million viewers.

Edit : just saw that TVA Sports in french had 1 371 000 viewers. That's not counting CBC.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Those numbers have to be US only. It makes sense that the Habs-Sens game would have the least viewers because it is two canadian teams. Only in Quebec there has to be at the very least three quarters of a million viewers.

Edit : just saw that TVA Sports in french had 1 371 000 viewers. That's not counting CBC.

yes sorry, they are usa only. the canadian fans easily had millions watching

PricePkPatch*

yes sorry, they are usa only. the canadian fans easily had millions watching

Basically, you are saying the US market is marginal at best for hockey, as there all these other sports to watch.

So the important thing is to bring as.many canadians on board, as this isnwhere you will get the big viewership bucks.

5goalgame

Feb 11, 2015
Anaheim
You people are so funny. You think Anaheim is bad ratings wise. Yet last year LA was in the finals. Does anyone realize the Staples Center and the Honda Center are about 22 miles apart from each other?

RedLeaf099*

Not sure about the ratings but Washington-Calgary would be awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad