OEL on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I understand the “super valuable” position you’re trying to take. Cheap contracts are valuable. I get it. My argument is Studnicka doesn’t have the top line potential that should hold up a trade for a top pair dman because he’s on an entry level contract. Cheap players are always available. My desire for him is to solve the long term 3c position. It’s a valuable position considering we always have issues with filling out our roster with centers. Hell, he really hasn’t proven any more than Lane Pederson has in the A.
I want Studnicka because he plays mean.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/NHL_Watcher/status/1309143352420560905

Interesting to see Dreger mention the Blues as a potential landing spot for OEL. I do like a good amount of their prospects and think this could be a good fit if Pietrangelo moves on.

So, Dreger says BA and the Yotes agree on a rebuild, but BA does not want to trade OEL. If they want a rebuild, wouldn't OEL be one of the first to go? Listening to many pressers, BA does not seem like he is interested in picks. Maybe I'm reading him wrong.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What does "re-build mean to them"?

Players under contract, over 25:

1. Phil Kessel - 32 - 2yrs remaining (total of $7m)
Trade Value: Negative 2nd round pick

2. Derek Stepan - 30 - 1yr remaining (total of $2m)
Trade Value: Zero

3. Michael Grabner - 32 - 1yr remaining ($3.75m)
Trade Value: Negative 3rd round pick

4. OEL - 29 - 7 years remaining ($54m)
Trade Value: Apparently we don't want to trade him

5. Goligoski - 35 - 1yr remaining ($4m)
Trade Value: 3rd round pick

6. Hjalmarsson - 33 - 1yr remaining ($2m)
Trade Value: Won't waive NMC

7. Demers - 32 - 1yr remaining ($2.25m)
Trade Value: 5th round pick

8. Oesterle - 28 - 1yr remaining ($1.6m)
Trade Value: 5th round pick

9. Kuemper - 30 - 2yrs remaining ($9m)
Trade Value: 1st and 2nd round pick

10. Raanta - 31 - 1yr remaining ($2m)
Trade Value: 2nd round pick

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Dreger says Armstrong told OEL's Agent that he does not want to trade him. Says Armstrong 's extensive presentation involved stripping it down and recovering picks. Keumper is only going if its the only way to recover a 1st. Wants to be competitive while rebuilding.
Sounds like our highly praised new GM, with scouting accolades in spades thinks more of OEL than the majority of this board - weird

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
If I was dreaming, which I'm not, I'd grab Domi and Strome back and get Debrincat somehow in there too. Then roll with something like Garland - Dvorak - Domi and Schmaltz - Strome - Debrincat. Or perhaps entitled "What should/could/would have happened". Do I think that's going to be our top 6 forever? No. Is that even a good top 6? Maybe? But it's full of hypothetically relatively cheap, young players with chemistry who can grow into their roles while we build through the draft. I don't think there's any need to go full scorched earth. Patience is key. Let Hayton and Soderstrom develop in the NHL, have a few vets fill our bottom 6 like Stepan, and give the ice time to those who can use it best.

ALSO FIRE TOCCHET

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sounds like our highly praised new GM, with scouting accolades in spades thinks more of OEL than the majority of this board - weird

In a vacuum, I'd venture to say that most, if not all, here believe that OEL is a great hockey player with a boatload of skill and tremendous value to a hockey team.

Where we diverge with the new GM is that we have seen how OEL has played over the past couple of years - the disturbing regression he has gone through in his on-ice performance, as well as how his apparent buy-in has plummeted. Armstrong will hopefully get that context soon if he hasn't already.

Now, maybe Armstrong believes that he can change circumstances to get Mr. Can't-Wait-to-Get-Back-to-Sweden to have a change of heart - he'll have to talk fast, though, because OEL's not happy here (else he would not have been willing to waive his NMC) and I can't imagine him being reenergized by the thought of another year under Tocchet.

Armstrong says his personal motto is, "Do your job." OEL hasn't done his job for two straight seasons. If he decides to have a personal epiphany, great... keep him around. But I have far less patience for temperamental, sulky star players than most.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
In a vacuum, I'd venture to say that most, if not all, here believe that OEL is a great hockey player with a boatload of skill and tremendous value to a hockey team.
Where we diverge with the new GM is that we have seen how OEL has played over the past couple of years - the disturbing regression he has gone through in his on-ice performance, as well as how his apparent buy-in has plummeted. Armstrong will hopefully get that context soon if he hasn't already.

Now, maybe Armstrong believes that he can change circumstances to get Mr. Can't-Wait-to-Get-Back-to-Sweden to have a change of heart - he'll have to talk fast, though, because OEL's not happy here (else he would not have been willing to waive his NMC) and I can't imagine him being reenergized by the thought of another year under Tocchet.

Armstrong says his personal motto is, "Do your job." OEL hasn't done his job for two straight seasons. If he decides to have a personal epiphany, great... keep him around. But I have far less patience for temperamental, sulky star players than most.
Enjoyed all your words, but... Where you diverge is that y’all lack the knowledge to see what OEL brings, despite being handcuffed by coaching.

Reactions: Jakey53

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I mean, is it possible the "I really don't want to trade you" means maybe OEL requested a trade out? Instead of the team actively trying to ship him out?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Nothing wrong with a fishing expedition. Saying you need to slash salary and are putting big names on the block is all fine and good. If an offer bowls you over you take it, if not - no great loss.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Something tells me fans are more particular about rebuilds vs retools where the hockey media and GMs call both by the same name of rebuild. A retool in my mind is dumping all of the Stepans, Demers, Kessel's of the roster. A rebuild is dumping all of them plus OEL, Kuemper and maybe one of the younger guys. A retool in my mind is moving listed players for some picks but maybe some roster players as well. A rebuild would be strictly moving for futures or recently drafted players.

Again I think most GMs call both types of schuffles "rebuilds", where obsessive fans who post daily on a hockey board based around prospects define retool and rebuild seperately so we can waste hours of our days trying to predict where our beloved/hated franchise is going next with nomenclature we all agree on.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Enjoyed all your words...

I sincerely doubt that.

Where you diverge is that y’all lack the knowledge to see what OEL brings, despite being handcuffed by coaching.

You're right, I really do lack any sort of knowledge of a player I've seen non-stop since he was drafted into the organization eleven years ago.

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
OEL has an NMC, so BA doesn't hold the cards, OEL does. Lets say OEL is ok with a trade. OEL has a long term contract and is over paid based on his performance the last few years. He isn't a clear top 15 #1D, he might be barely a #1D now. Add in the cap word and covid as well. We won't get a top 10 pick and solid young player back, unless we take on a cap hit we don't want. I just don't see him being traded for all of these reasons. If he bounces back, he will be worth more to us and anyone else. Maybe next summer Chych matures, Capo comes along as does our #1 D pick. We then are in a better position to trade him.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Come on guys. The worst thing he could do is talk down our top trade chips. Of course he's going to say he wants to keep OEL and Kuemper and talk about how great they are. Doesn't mean he's not going to trade them. I'm sure he'll praise Stepan and Kessel for their leadership and playoff prowess too soon if he hasn't already.

Reactions: Jakey53 and _Del_

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I can't wait for you to drop your hard-won knowledge and insight on me about why this Gem of Gems has shat the bed so intensely... or is that a case of pearls before swine?
Already did - coaching.
Most here are no doubt disheartened over his lack of points, thing is and despite all his rhetoric RT does not incorporate the D in his system.
Some say he’s too soft, but the reality is he’s normally the one mixing it up and really should not be. Not too mentioned he’s been a target for years with no support from team mates.
The games I’ve seen in which he hasn’t thoroughly impressed me with some form of defense are few.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Already did - coaching.

His slump predates Tocchet, although it seems to have been exacerbated by his relationship, or lack thereof, with Toc.

The games I’ve seen in which he hasn’t thoroughly impressed me with some form of defense are few.

I used to be impressed on a nightly basis by OEL and both his defensive effort and his offensive brilliance. When he came up to the big league, he was a difference maker in virtually every contest.

I will give him plenty of leeway for what happened with his mom. But after Doan retired and everyone started looking to him to be the team's focal point, OEL has stopped being that difference maker, except in spurts. He will occasionally astound like he used to, but he also dives much more often, complains much more often, and disappears far too often. I remember OEL carrying an entire game on his shoulders five or six years ago. I rarely, if ever, see it now.

He's a nice guy. He has skill for days. What he's running short on is motivation. Neither you nor I know exactly why - we are both speculating. If Armstrong can fix that, great.

Reactions: _Del_ and RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Come on guys. The worst thing he could do is talk down our top trade chips. Of course he's going to say he wants to keep OEL and Kuemper and talk about how great they are. Doesn't mean he's not going to trade them. I'm sure he'll praise Stepan and Kessel for their leadership and playoff prowess too soon if he hasn't already.
If he praises Stepan and Kessel, then we will know he's trying to build up their value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad