Chandler, AZ
Hmm...
Screenshot_20200823-153358_Twitter.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
OEL can't be captain.
If OEL can't be captain, should he realistically stay? No.

This really only has one probable outcome for me. He's also the only real trade chip of value to boot.

I expect him to rebound and go back to being a top pairing guy wherever he ends up. Do not listen to people that tell you he's permanently broken. Nonsense.

It's imperative the Coyotes get a very, very strong U25 player (preferably a center) in return. This asset also needs to be controlled, either an RFA at expiry or signed to term.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
And/or a high pick in this draft. The un-measurable rewards of culture change in the locker room is a huge asset in itself.

The caveat here is the NMC.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Normally I would dismiss this as a rumor like I dismissed Chayka not being left out of the Hall meeting.

lately, where there’s smoke there is fire, I wonder if he’s asked for a trade

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Oliver isn't a natural leader. His game dropped when he put on the C. There's no point.
Maybe that’s the compromise though. Removing the C to make Tocchet happy and reset expectations.

maybe it is too late. It likely is. I’m just saying Doan is going to try. He’s that type of person and he has a relationship with OEL that he will try to leverage.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The tweet didn’t come from an account that is verified but the quote about Oliver Ekman-Larsson came directly from Elliotte Friedman. I can try to find the link again

I already knew about Friedman.

But you know how statements get twisted and re-contexted.

Everyone looks for an angle. The alleged rift between OEL and Tocchet goes all the way back to last year. Yet OEL was still given the C this year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Oliver isn't a natural leader. His game dropped when he put on the C. There's no point.

I believe this 100%. He's not a leader. You can see that in his demeanor and attitude on the ice and when he's being interviewed. I think he'll go back to being a top pairing guy when he's on another team and no longer the captain. Sucks for us because we won't get full value for his talent but nothing more to be done at this point. I don't think he'd deal well with the questions that come with taking the C off his chest. He'd probably get worse. Maybe we can get Tippett into a bidding war with another team to drive up his value. I'd be he'd love to have OEL on that team.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I already knew about Friedman.

But you know how statements get twisted and re-contexted.

Everyone looks for an angle. The alleged rift between OEL and Tocchet goes all the way back to last year. Yet OEL was still given the C this year.

Taking away the C is a major step once you've already given it to a player. It usually ends the relationship with that player on that team, in most cases.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we hire Doan in any capacity do we not think he will first try to see if he can get this relationship to work before going full into a deal?[/QUOTE
I hire a new GM and coach. Let them talk to OEL and go from there. All the better if Doan is hired in some capacity. Doan is very well respected in the hockey world regardless of what people think around here.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I believe this 100%. He's not a leader. You can see that in his demeanor and attitude on the ice and when he's being interviewed. I think he'll go back to being a top pairing guy when he's on another team and no longer the captain. Sucks for us because we won't get full value for his talent but nothing more to be done at this point. I don't think he'd deal well with the questions that come with taking the C off his chest. He'd probably get worse. Maybe we can get Tippett into a bidding war with another team to drive up his value. I'd be he'd love to have OEL on that team.
I think most teams would love to have him but yeah teams with big offense but questionable D (e.g. Edmonton, Toronto, etc.) will be extra excited to land him.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Taking away the C is a major step once you've already given it to a player. It usually ends the relationship with that player on that team, in most cases.
Only recent case I can think where it went ok is Joe Thornton. So yeah, I'm not sure OEL will respond well even though I think in his heart of hearts he doesn't really want to be captain.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
OEL's play dropped with RT, like most other players. OEL is on the same or near same level as Hall. You just don't trade away these type of players unless you are rebuilding and we are not.

It was already dropping before Tocchet got here.

Oliver’s been in a funk since his mother passed away.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A 29 year old 40 point D man who is not lighting it up defensively lately and signed for 7 more years at over $8 million per year. If he gets moved you better start preparing yourself for an underwhelming return. Look up the Subban return for a reference and then consider OEL has a trade clause.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
You just don't trade away these type of players unless you are rebuilding and we are not.

If it's for prospects and picks it looks like a rebuild, but if it's an exchange of comparible value then it's just two teams trying to incrementally improve.

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
Only recent case I can think where it went ok is Joe Thornton. So yeah, I'm not sure OEL will respond well even though I think in his heart of hearts he doesn't really want to be captain.

Dustin Brown as well.

The reaction could go either way, depending how it's communicated.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think most teams would love to have him but yeah teams with big offense but questionable D (e.g. Edmonton, Toronto, etc.) will be extra excited to land him.

I made a list of every attainable youngster (by my estimation) along with contract dumps the Coyotes could conceivably take. These are the matches I see so far.

Edmonton is definitely up there with McLeod, Poolparty, Lavoie, Broberg, and Bouchard as trade chips. Problem is that they would need to move salary out to accommodate and it'd likely thin their already shallow forward group. If Nurse had more control on his contract, they'd be a fit.

Carolina is a darkhorse. They have a lot of chips and the Coyotes could take Gardiner in any deal.

Pittsburgh is the same way, surprisingly. For a premium prospect like Poulin, the Coyotes might be willing to take Bjugstad and JMFJ. Schultz will walk. Need LD.

Washington will save money letting some guys walk. There might be a deal there around Vrana, who hasn't done anything for them in the playoffs. Need LD.

Vegas has excess depth they could trade, like Cody Glass. Need LD upgrades.

St Louis could use OEL if Petro walks, which we have already talked about. There's several trade angles there.

Buffalo has interesting youngsters galore and the Coyotes might be able to take Okposo.

Florida has tons of interesting stuff. They want to shed salary though.

Boston might lose Krug and Chara might retire. Room and need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinurgy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->