OEL on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's a bad move in the future because in three to four years it's likely that his value is still higher than whatever the return that is being offered now becomes.

I don't really understand how you can say this. He'll be 33 with four years remaining on his deal. It's unlikely he drastically improves. It's very possible and likely he stays the same or even regresses further. OEL is a depreciating asset at this point.

It's risk the Coyotes don't need to be bothering with. Know when to fold em. Now is the time.

Don't give him away, but now is the time to move on for a multitude of reasons.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Russell+Samorukov+Lavoie+2021 1st (top 3 protected)?
Are you answering my question about the minimum return you would accept or are you proving my point about simplicity in communicating value? I wouldn't be very excited about that package but there's enough pieces that one of them might exceed expectations. I'd prefer a single blue chip.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You are unlikely to get a return for OEL that comes close to his actual value. It's likely a bad move now as his value is at one of its lowest points and his contract is unwieldly, both detracting from his return. It's a bad move in the future because in three to four years it's likely that his value is still higher than whatever the return that is being offered now becomes. It's a poor use of assets that can be revisited later when valuations change.

I didn't address trading Kuemper, but have no issue with moving him on as he fits the opposite profile to OEL, so sorry if it seemed that I implied not moving him either. Moving Kuemper is at least understandable because his value is higher than it's ever been.
We have no idea what the value for OEL is. Every single player on this team should be available for trade, every single one. I still would like to have a new coach and let our GM and coach evaluate what we have. I also do not see a complete rebuild, rather retooling of the roster. It's really a good time because of our vets on expiring contracts.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Are you answering my question about the minimum return you would accept or are you proving my point about simplicity in communicating value? I wouldn't be very excited about that package but there's enough pieces that one of them might exceed expectations. I'd prefer a single blue chip.
Wondering how you felt about a tolerable dump, a future late 1st and a B-chip or two.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I thought Lavoie was like flipping a coin each time he jumps over the boards; one side is a lion and the other is a lamb.

He is for sure. It's the second side that makes me think Army wouldn't like him.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
You are unlikely to get a return for OEL that comes close to his actual value. It's likely a bad move now as his value is at one of its lowest points and his contract is unwieldly, both detracting from his return. It's a bad move in the future because in three to four years it's likely that his value is still higher than whatever the return that is being offered now becomes. It's a poor use of assets that can be revisited later when valuations change.

I didn't address trading Kuemper, but have no issue with moving him on as he fits the opposite profile to OEL, so sorry if it seemed that I implied not moving him either. Moving Kuemper is at least understandable because his value is higher than it's ever been.
I agree - IF you can get great value for OEL, a first and a top 4-6 player, you can move him, if not moving him is not productive.
Also agree on Kuemper, but again the value needs to be there.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
We have no idea what the value for OEL is. Every single player on this team should be available for trade, every single one. I still would like to have a new coach and let our GM and coach evaluate what we have. I also do not see a complete rebuild, rather retooling of the roster. It's really a good time because of our vets on expiring contracts.
Except for Chayka’s “creeper gate” And the Hall trade costing us Valuable picks.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If we ain't getting a#1C back why bother?
If a 2021 #1 is involve, then wait until 2021
I do like the way we are pitting Western Canadian teams against each other.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
If we ain't getting a#1C back why bother?
If a 2021 #1 is involve, then wait until 2021
I do like the way we are pitting Western Canadian teams against each other.

Nobody trades a #1c. You get them through the draft or free agency.

Or, like Montreal with Suzuki, trade a vet (Pacioretty) for a kid who hits the ceiling of his potential.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nobody trades a #1c. You get them through the draft or free agency.

Or, like Montreal with Suzuki, trade a vet (Pacioretty) for a kid who hits the ceiling of his potential.
Last year's Cup winner and this year's finalist both had centers they did not draft. Its not common but it does happen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We’d have to take something else in terms of cap as I suspect they are extending Pieterangelo for over $8M this week.
I sure hope they sign Pietrangelo this week. I want the market to heat back up on OEL. Ideally Yzerman trades for Krug’s rights and they shock the world be signing him. Hopefully that happens this week, too.

Reactions: CLW and Jakey53

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Last year's Cup winner and this year's finalist both had centers they did not draft. Its not common but it does happen.

ROR was a case of someone hitting their ceiling after the trade. Buffalo blundered on that one. Sure it happens, but not very often.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
ROR was a case of someone hitting their ceiling after the trade. Buffalo blundered on that one. Sure it happens, but not very often.
Thorton is another. Rangers got theirs through trade. Heck it might be less rare than I thought.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
How would you feel on a Keller - R. Thomas trade (not 1 on 1, but the core part of a trade) ?

I want to see a motivated Keller under a competent coach before trade talk. I like Keller, but he is 22 and still looks very underdeveloped for a young NHL star. What would he look like with stronger legs/core and a faster stride? He can't just float by on talent, I want to see some hunger and drive now.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Thorton is another. Rangers got theirs through trade. Heck it might be less rare than I thought.

Sure, but none of them were established #1 c's at the time of the trade. Which goes back to my original point.

jdfitz12

Oct 11, 2008
What about something like OEL for RNH as a base in a trade? RNH has only a year left at 6M.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sure, but none of them were established #1 c's at the time of the trade. Which goes back to my original point.
Pretty sure ROR played number 1 in Colorado, abd Buffalo. Seguin lead Bruins in scoring , Thornton had a 100 point season under hus belt.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Pretty sure ROR played number 1 in Colorado, abd Buffalo. Seguin lead Bruins in scoring , Thornton had a 100 point season under hus belt.

Yeah and what years where those? Lindros was traded too back in the day. Sure it happens, but not often and usually they are a bit below the radar. Joe Thornton was a #1 pick. And yeah, Gretzky got traded too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia