OEL on the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah and what years where those? Lindros was traded too back in the day. Sure it happens, but not often and usually they are a bit below the radar. Joe Thornton was a #1 pick. And yeah, Gretzky got traded too...
So it's rare but it does happen. All of the players I listed are still playing. Other centers traded or signed that have at some point Served as number 1's are Henrique, Schenn, Staal, Danault, Rojo, Turris, Tavares, abd Domi!!!! The last one was for reaction!!

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
So it's rare but it does happen. All of the players I listed are still playing. Other centers traded or signed that have at some point Served as number 1's are Henrique, Schenn, Staal, Danault, Rojo, Turris, Tavares, abd Domi!!!! The last one was for reaction!!

And your point is to refute the 'Noone' word I posted? Great. Good job. Obviously it happens.

Tavares to Toronto was FA signing no? Turris, Danault, Domi and the rest are hardly #1 centers, they are like what we do, fillers until we get a proper #1. Turris is about to get bought out. Danault's and Domi's days in Montreal are likely numbered.

If anything it just proves the point how rare it is to find a true #1 in a trade. So the way to find a #1 is to get lucky with a prospect in a trade, through the draft or FA, as I said.

This also proves how strong a hand we do have if we want to trade OEL. Players like him under contract are far and few between.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Klefbom in Edmonton is likely out for an extended period of time. He's weighing his options, but surgery would put him out of action long-term.

I'd expect a potential OEL trade if that's the case.

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
OEL has been upgraded to #1 on the TSN Trade Bait list.

Trade Bait: Frozen cap makes ‘franchise-changing’ players available - TSN.ca

"If Klefbom is out for a long stretch, it would create opportunity on the salary cap by potentially using his $4.17 as a long-term injury exception to acquire a replacement. The Oilers are believed to have had preliminary discussions on acquiring defenceman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, the new No. 1 on the Trade Bait board, from Arizona. But there is a financial component to the potential transaction that would need to involve Arizona retaining a portion of Ekman-Larsson's salary, which the Coyotes have not been willing to budge on. Top-end defensive prospect Evan Bouchard (No. 46) and the Oilers' first-round pick could be involved in a deal."

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Yotes should absolutely laugh out any offer that involves them retaining. Get a a great deal or just hold on to him, imo. Retention?! That would be ridiculously stupid in this situation.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
But there is a financial component to the potential transaction that would need to involve Arizona retaining a portion of Ekman-Larsson's salary, which the Coyotes have not been willing to budge on.

Are the Oilers really that dumb? Who the f*** asks for 7 years of retention?

I would be insulted unless the return being offered is massive.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
After seeing Oilers fans opinions of OEL on the trade board I'm wanting us to keep him. Hope he rebounds and puts up 50 points to spite them hahaha

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I would not trade OEL for any reasonable return if I had to retain even 12%. Russell is fine. Chiasson is fine. Even Kassian. No retention on OEL and NO Neal!!!
I wouldn't take any negative deal with term. Kassian and Neal are deal breakers, imo. I don't need to hand you a top pairing D and fix your bad decisions for you. If you don't have cap room to make deal and need to move guys out, go do that and come back from a position of strength.
Guys like Chiasson and Russel are the sort of guys that get moved to shuffle cap. Chiasson is essentially value neutral. Paid a bit too much. Is still a useful player without term or obscene salary. Russel has a bad AAV, but his salery isn't onerous and he has no term. Both fine for shuffling money to accommodate deals with us or someone else.
Or a package that includes Larsson, Nurse, or Klef which moves useful players with decent AAV, salaries.

I don't think we have to take someone's problem to move OEL. We might have to accommodate a deal by taking salary/cap back, but we don't need to take on Neal to make a deal.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Make it happen Bill!

- Bouchard would accompany Soderstrom as a top RHD prospect, a definite position of need.
- The 1st will most likely be a late one, but at least we would have one
- Kassian is a true motherf***er to play against, and brings an intimidation factor to this team that we haven’t seen in years.

Frees up some money, makes OEL happy, frees up a spot for a captain with some gusto. I like the deal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Question: analytics don't like the way OEL projects over the remainder of his contract. Is he no longer a clear cut top pairing defenseman?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Question: analytics don't like the way OEL projects over the remainder of his contract. Is he no longer a clear cut top pairing defenseman?

Most of that is being weighed down by 18-19, when he played through a knee injury. He couldn't pivot on one of his legs at all and was getting walked around by forwards with average speed.

Analytics don't like how the Coyotes play in general. There are no controlled breakouts, the D don't skate with the puck at all. It's basically the Dallas model but done really sloppily and stupid. It has completely nullified the talents of someone like OEL. Don't get us started on the PP either.

D usually have their best years from 28-35 so I'm not sure why you're projecting a decline.

Reactions: 0point1 and Peen

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Kassian is Crouse with a lot more snarl. If some of the mean temperament to combine with size, speed and some goals rubs off it couldn’t be a bad thing for this team to have 2 players like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad