Post-Game Talk: October 5, 2013| Flyers 1 at Canadiens 4

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
You are worried about 3 point games during the 1st week of the season. wth

Damn straight I am, I believe last few years by American Thanksgiving 90 % of the playoff teams are decided and we are a team that does not get a lot of loser points. And with 2 extra teams in the east, every point will count.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I said this not too long ago but people here are gonna continue to just look at point totals and give up on the young guys who take a little longer to develop here cause if the depth. It's really frustrating.

Yep.

There are literally no players in the NHL who play 7th-9th forward (as Couts and Schenn did last year, and may well do this year) on their team in terms of minutes and get 50 points. None.

That is not factoring that Couts and Schenn face some of the hardest mins on our team and start in their own zone more often than not.

At a quick glance, last season Schenn was 9th in the NHL in PPG for guys with under 16 minutes played.

Last edited:

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Yep.

There are literally no players in the NHL who play 7th-9th forward (as Couts and Schenn did last year, and may well do this year) on their team in terms of minutes and get 50 points. None.

That is not factoring that Couts and Schenn face some of the hardest mins on our team and start in their own zone more often than not.

At a quick glance, last season Schenn was 9th in the NHL in PPG for guys with under 16 minutes played.

Very interesting stat.

People need to be patient with these guys

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
No it's not, the refs were terrible but that's not the reason we lost.

Just because the Flyers played awful doesn't make the win tainted. They played well & we did not they deserved the W.

well perhaps not for you, I said we need to play better but we need better calls at critical times

Flyers4Ever77

Dec 21, 2009
Bad : i spent 200$ for a ticket to see a bunch a guys with no passion tonight...pretty horrible.

Lavy out!

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The refs took back a goal from Montreal that probably should have counted so it's a wash with the Read goal.

The one in the 3rd that Emery had under his skate? That was blown down when Coburn (?) put his stick against Emery's pad to freeze it. That wasn't -- or shouldn't have been -- close to being considered a goal.

The weak calls against the Flyers weren't the determining factor but sure didn't help. 2 minutes on Timonen for pushing? 2 minutes on Grossmann for hitting Gallagher's stick too hard? Embellishment on Emery? The 2 on Talbot for glove on puck to put the Flyers down 2 men was textbook but weak. Even the Simmonds "slash" that broke White's stick was more a stick on stick block.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
All I kept noticing was how badly this team needs a dominant transitional player. I don't even think it's the absence of a #1 defender that is holding the team back-- it's that we have no one who can move the play forward from the backline. Streit is good in the offensive zone, but I'm not seeing any ability to control the play from the back.

Subban would be absolutely perfect, but even a Mike Green or Kris Letang would do total wonders for the team.

I would love to make a play for Gardiner and pray that he can develop into that kind of a guy.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So seriously how many times did Mez get beat on the outside tonight? 8? 9 times? The bond he has with Lavy is getting real close to the Jones and Stevens bond.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
It's true that the refs really killed the momentum during crucial times during the game. But that's not why they lost by three goals.

well just like in football, momentum means alot. The Canadiens had a lot of confidence after that, would that had been there if it were 1-1?? Hard to say, but I'd predict no

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Giroux was pretty invisible tonight. No points so far, him or Voracek. Hoping they have a big game tomorrow.

Defense is a lot better from last year I thought, we're taking way too many penalties though. Still prone to breakdowns as well, just not as much as last year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
We have 6 guys at forward this year who factored 40 points last season, and Scott Hartnell, who has for the last 10 years, every year, done that apart from last season. Only Schenn in those 7 has not done this for at least 2 years prior to this season.

So we technically have 7 40 point or more forwards in our lineup. Not guys who used to score 40 points 4-5 years ago, but current.

I just looked, and seemingly only Pittsburgh can say that as well. So arguably we are one of the deepest offences in the NHL, 6 of the 7 also paced for 50 within the last two years.

And we can't produce offence. Go figure.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
So seriously how many times did Mez get beat on the outside tonight? 8? 9 times? The bond he has with Lavy is getting real close to the Jones and Stevens bond.

Yeah, he's bad.

Meanwhile Schenn is 6th in d-men TOI/G with under 14 minutes avg. Mez on the other hand has over 19 TOI/G. :facepalm:

This is ridiculous, Schenn was arguably are best and most consistent d-man last yr. He hasn't been bad this yr in the early going (preseason and regular season) by any means yet this is what he gets.

This reminds me of the Briere situation last year. Lavi sticks with certain guys even when they suck and aren't producing. Yet he doesn't reward the hard working players like Rinaldo and Couturier. Don't get me wrong I don't think Rinaldo should be getting loads of ice time but he's effective and seems to be the only Flyer ready to play ever game, he deserves more then 5-6 minutes a game. Similarly Talbot is getting more playing time then Couturier, who's avg a little over 13 minutes a game.

I realize it's early but Lavi has shown repeatedly he has trouble managing his bench, going back to last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad