Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If he was a 'kid' I would. But he has shown before when given chances on third lines he was not up to the cut and could not get points there, he is not great defensively either. That is why he has had 7 years in and out of the NHL. Not good enough for first two lines offensively, not good enough for 3rd defensively. He brings nothing to an NHL team apart from fists sadly.

So how many of the 72 NHL games have you guys seen him play? Some times its about the right timing and the right opportunity. I remember him from his Toronto days and he plays with an edge he also played pretty well in the preseason. Give him a shot, if he sucks defensively or cant handle a pass he will be sent back down big deal life goes on. This season is hardly going to fail because of giving Newbury a shot on the 4th line for a handful of games!!!!! The only guy on the Phantoms roster that could make a differance right now are Mcginn and Cousins but for their long term success they need more seasoning in the A and prove they can handle significant roles if given the opportunity.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
blame Homer and Lavy if you will for this, but also a blame a bunch of Phantom forwards who had a shot at making the team and didn't step up

btw, are Laughton and Morin going to play for Canada in WJC?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
So how many of the 72 NHL games have you guys seen him play? Some times its about the right timing and the right opportunity. I remember him from his Toronto days and he plays with an edge he also played pretty well in the preseason. Give him a shot, if he sucks defensively or cant handle a pass he will be sent back down big deal life goes on. This season is hardly going to fail because of giving Newbury a shot on the 4th line for a handful of games!!!!! The only guy on the Phantoms roster that could make a differance right now are Mcginn and Cousins but for their long term success they need more seasoning in the A and prove they can handle significant roles if given the opportunity.

It's hard to see a lot of a guy play when he's 31 years old and can't maintain an NHL job to the point where he has less the 80 NHL games played.

That kind of speaks for itself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
btw, are Laughton and Morin going to play for Canada in WJC?

Laughton should be a lock & Morin's probably on the outside looking in but December is still pretty far away so who knows.

Laughton (CAN), Stolarz (USA), & Hagg (SWE) should all be playing which is awesome considering the Flyers haven't had much players in this tournament as of late.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Going into the season I had picked Newbs as our 13th forward for a few reasons. 600k cap hit. One of the best AHLers, and also at 31 you don't mind him being a healthy scratch. He is is decent at both ends of the ice and more suited than the young prospects to play 8 minutes a night rather than double that in the A.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
going into the season i had picked newbs as our 13th forward for a few reasons. 600k cap hit. one of the best ahlers, and also at 31 you don't mind him being a healthy scratch. He is is decent at both ends of the ice and more suited than the young prospects to play 8 minutes a night rather than double that in the a.

ahl.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't mind sending Laughton down, but the timing suggests that Laviolette and Holmgren don't see eye-to-eye.

This disconnect sort of speaks to the lack of vision regarding the final roster spots this offseason.

The 3LW spot was open, and was the most obvious hole after early moves to get Lecavalier, Streit and Emery. Then they passed on affordable options like Gagne, Brunner, Raymond, Morrow, etc. and whiffed on Cleary, preferring the guys already in their stable (Raffl, McGinn, Akeson, so on) and passed on all of them as well. Slightly baffling, to say the least.

My best-case hope is that they really like Raffl but want to give him more time to get used to the NA game in the AHL and Newbury is just serving as a placeholder until he's ready.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Laughton should be a lock & Morin's probably on the outside looking in but December is still pretty far away so who knows.

Laughton (CAN), Stolarz (USA), & Hagg (SWE) should all be playing which is awesome considering the Flyers haven't had much players in this tournament as of late.

Ghost?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I don't mind sending Laughton down, but the timing suggests that Laviolette and Holmgren don't see eye-to-eye.

This disconnect sort of speaks to the lack of vision regarding the final roster spots this offseason.

The 3LW spot was open, and was the most obvious hole after early moves to get Lecavalier, Streit and Emery. Then they passed on affordable options like Gagne, Brunner, Raymond, Morrow, etc. and whiffed on Cleary, preferring the guys already in their stable (Raffl, McGinn, Akeson, so on) and passed on all of them as well. Slightly baffling, to say the least.

My best-case hope is that they really like Raffl but want to give him more time to get used to the NA game in the AHL and Newbury is just serving as a placeholder until he's ready.

Yeah it's baffling that we have Talbot on the third line when Gagne, Raffl, Akeson were and are still viable options.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

4 games last year I believe, both games he played vs the Bruins in the playoffs, and both against the Flyers, including the one where he got beaten by McGinn in a fight.

I also remember a game years ago where him and Matt Walker got into something.

Plus preseason and the odd game I will have caught over the last 7 years, so I imagine ~10. I saw enough of him playing 5 minutes a night on the fourth line being a questionable fighter and defensively liable to know what I think of him as an NHLer. Yeh, he brings energy, but that is it.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Going into the season I had picked Newbs as our 13th forward for a few reasons. 600k cap hit. One of the best AHLers, and also at 31 you don't mind him being a healthy scratch. He is is decent at both ends of the ice and more suited than the young prospects to play 8 minutes a night rather than double that in the A.

there is a reason why he has only played 72 NHL games.
43 of those came in back to back years with the Leafs a half dozen years ago. He is terrible.
Just another player added to our bottom 6 with little to zero offense.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Why is everybody so worried about our 4th line when the major issue throughout preseason and in game 1 has been scoring?

Newbury is a pretty solid player overall when used in a sheltered role: hard-nosed, gritty, and can even score a little. He won't play more than 8-9 minutes a night on that energy line - no big deal at all.

Everyone seemed to be in love with Daroll Powe who had hands of stone and zero hockey sense. Newbury may not be as fast but he is decent in his own zone, even played the PK in the AHL.
McGinn is clearly out of shape and Raffl who might be a good fit for a top-9 role later in the season needs some seasoning in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn't played a regular season game for ages.... who else would be a better choice?

You watch your mouth.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
So why risk Hall being waived if Laughton was going back anyway? If Hall was claimed, what was the plan, keeping Laughton? Newbury?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So why risk Hall being waived if Laughton was going back anyway? If Hall was claimed, what was the plan, keeping Laughton? Newbury?

I think that for the most part, GMs (Homer included) have a pretty good sense of who will be claimed on waivers and who will clear. A large majority of the time when someone is waived, I would bet the team pretty much knows whether or not he will clear. Sometimes they don't care if he gets claimed, other times they want him to, other times they want the guy to clear. But I think I am confident in saying that this isn't some rash decision that is just made at the drop of a hat. I know it is crazy, and I get flamed a lot for saying this, but they actually have a better idea of what is going on around the league than we do here on these boards. Homer most likely had a good indication that he would clear. Crazy, I know.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I think that for the most part, GMs (Homer included) have a pretty good sense of who will be claimed on waivers and who will clear. A large majority of the time when someone is waived, I would bet the team pretty much knows whether or not he will clear. Sometimes they don't care if he gets claimed, other times they want him to, other times they want the guy to clear. But I think I am confident in saying that this isn't some rash decision that is just made at the drop of a hat. I know it is crazy, and I get flamed a lot for saying this, but they actually have a better idea of what is going on around the league than we do here on these boards. Homer most likely had a good indication that he would clear. Crazy, I know.

I buy that. I wouldn't be shocked to find out if GM's call one another to see if there's any interest in a claim before they put a guy on waivers as well.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

In general, I agree, though it wouldn't be the first time Holmgren (or another GM) was caught with his trousers south of his knees. In this case, the flurry of waivings and other circumstances making a mob of players available stacked the deck against Hall being called up, as the majority of clubs were trimming rosters, not filling them out.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Carcillo barely played, and didn't even get his name on the cup

cup1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad