Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Laughton needs to make the team before he can push Vinnie out of a spot. If he didn't outright make the team, which it was clear he didn't, then he's better off in Jr. Look at Scheifele. He's playing great for the Jets after an extra year in Jr. Let him play as a star in Oshawa, play at the WJC and work on his speed, strength, passing, shot, etc. etc.

Next year he can friggin' play 4C like every other guy. Couts did it and got lots of ice time on the PK too. In many ways, I wish Couts had been sent back - he might've had more chance to develop his offense.

Everyone is rushing this kid, he's good but he's not a born superstar. He will need some time, but he's a heckuva player.

This is exactly how I feel. Let him develop and EARN a top 9 spot on the team. We are one of the few teams that uses 1st round forwards in 4th line roles. Most teams let the prospects ripen...or over-ripen until they 100% have earned a spot.

Look at Connolly in T.Bay 4 goals in 5 games....sent to the AHL. Drouin...sent back. We would be FREAKING if that was Philly doing that.

Let our talented guys play on the top lines and PUSH guys to keep that spot. Use the 4th line for energy/situational players like Rinaldo and Hall.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
if he is called up he cannot play more then 9 games. regular season and playoffs or it counts as a contract year.

So they could call him up on April 1st, let him play the last eight regular season games and (cross your fingers) the playoffs?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
if he is called up he cannot play more then 9 games. regular season and playoffs or it counts as a contract year.

They sign an Amateur Try-out Contract so their actual contract doesn't go into affect at least for the AHL.

I'm not really sure how it would work when it comes to the NHL because Kreider didn't lose any years off his ELC a couple of years ago when he played in all those playoff games with the Rangers.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They sign an Amateur Try-out Contract so their actual contract doesn't go into affect at least for the AHL.

I'm not really sure how it would work when it comes to the NHL because Kreider didn't lose any years off his ELC a couple of years ago when he played in all those playoff games with the Rangers.

I believe Kreider did lose a year off his ELC. If my source is correct this is the last year of his ELC. He also signed out of college. Meanwhile Tom Wilson played 3 playoff games last year and didn't lose a year off his.

Bottom line, if you have a Jr. player that you think can help you in the playoffs, you're going to be more likely to burn that year. You may lose a year on his contract, but at least you don't burn a year of development

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I believe Kreider did lose a year off his ELC. If my source is correct this is the last year of his ELC. He also signed out of college. Meanwhile Tom Wilson played 3 playoff games last year and didn't lose a year off his.

Bottom line, if you have a Jr. player that you think can help you in the playoffs, you're going to be more likely to burn that year. You may lose a year on his contract, but at least you don't burn a year of development

I just looked it up he did lose a year off it. He played 18 games that playoffs so I guess the 9 game rule does come into effect even during the NHL playoffs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I just looked it up he did lose a year off it. He played 18 games that playoffs so I guess the 9 game rule does come into effect even during the NHL playoffs.

Even so, I don't think Kreider is the best example as he signed out of college. I don't think the 9 game rule apply's there. Trying to find an example of a junior player that played in the playoffs. Frankie Corrado played 7 combined games last year. That's the best I could think of off the top of my head.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Flyers Nation ‏@FlyersNation 21s
Scott Laughton had a hat trick last night in a 5-3 #Generals win, now has eight goals and seven assists in seven games.

damn, sending this kid down was the best thing ever

RJ8812*

thats not true about Krieder

and yes the 9 game rule applied to him

He is an RFA this summer after signing a 3-year entry level contract after his college season ended in 2011. The 18 games that he played for the rangers during the '11 playoffs counted as the first year off of his ELC.

I remember how much Rangers fans talked about how Kreider would be a Calder finalist the following season. The guy can't even stick with the big club

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Kreider has zero hockey sense. He relies on his physical assets (speed and shot), but he never puts himself in the right position to use them.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
These numbers that Laughton is putting up in the O will clearly translate well as a 4C with Rosehill and Newbury/Talbot on his wings.:shakehead

Seriously, I think he's just going to wind up as trade bait this season. What else is a 100 pt junior player, with 3rd line C potential (Who'll e lucky to make it to the 4th line on the depth chart behind G, Vinny, Schenn {Who has been actually looking good at C}, Couts and Hall) going to contribute to the team in the position/TOI/Teammates he'll be given?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, this is why I get frustrated with our over drafting of the Center position. Center is the least flexible of all skater positions so if you already have an overload of talent there it's not always wise to go with BPA there.

We have Giroux, Lecavalier, Schenn, Couturier, and Hall all able to play center well and Couturier is already suffering himself from being stuck in a bottom six role because of depth so what chance does Laughton really have? I would be very surprised if Laughton doesn't turn into trade bait eventually.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hall is likely gone after this season. Maybe next year we can have an outsanding 4th line of Laughton, Talbot and Rinaldo that can actually play 10 or more minutes a night and wear other teams down.

There's nothing wrong with breaking into the league as a 20 year old on the 4th line. That's how Mike Richards did it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why is Laughton "capped" at being a 3rd line C. For all we know...he can be a 1st line C if he keeps producing. And yes...with G here I know that a #2 is the best he could probably be. But it bugs me when people say he has "blank" upside when there are PLENTY of examples of later drafted players that go on to be 1st liners.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Why is Laughton "capped" at being a 3rd line C. For all we know...he can be a 1st line C if he keeps producing. And yes...with G here I know that a #2 is the best he could probably be. But it bugs me when people say he has "blank" upside when there are PLENTY of examples of later drafted players that go on to be 1st liners.

That's fair, but I'm still not sure he's shown nearly enough skill to be considered a potential 1st liner.

I think most of us believe that his true ceiling is a Richards-liked 1B/ 2A center--with a strong possibility that he becomes an above average NHL 2nd line center. Somewhere between that and a third line center lay his most realistic projection, I'd think.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At this rate he is going to put up 120-130 points...

Though I cannot really imagine him keeping over 2PPG.

That would be some achievement considering how the scoring in the OHL has subsided in the last 5 years.

No one has put up over 110 since the scoring went below 7 GPG. (after 07-08)

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

That would be some achievement considering how the scoring in the OHL has subsided in the last 5 years.

Is that plausible with him playing at the WJC?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Hall is likely gone after this season. Maybe next year we can have an outsanding 4th line of Laughton, Talbot and Rinaldo that can actually play 10 or more minutes a night and wear other teams down.

There's nothing wrong with breaking into the league as a 20 year old on the 4th line. That's how Mike Richards did it.

I agree. It's worth exploring the idea at least. I'm not confident Laughton is Mike Richards, but I like his pedigree.

Only thing is: We all knew that Laughton had little to prove in being sent down. He's a gear above that competition at his age and level.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Is that plausible with him playing at the WJC?

I did not think about that! He has already missed 4 games at the start of the year as well.

With Oshawa's schedule he will seemingly miss 5/6 games if they make it past the quarters, 5 if they are knocked out of the quarters.

So assuming he is fit for the whole year apart from that he will play probably 58/59 games. He is currently at 17 points in 8... so 2.125 per game. Over 58 that is 123, over 59 it is 125.

But I doubt he is getting more than 110 frankly, it would be amazing if he kept at 2PPG.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly

That is awesome!! I kinda wish Couturier was sent back for one more year in juniors now. I get he had nothing left to show, but it might have helped him work more on his offense than he has done here. It is amazing to see those numbers being put up.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That is awesome!! I kinda wish Couturier was sent back for one more year in juniors now. I get he had nothing left to show, but it might have helped him work more on his offense than he has done here. It is amazing to see those numbers being put up.

Couts was already on 113 point pace in his draft year though, (he actually had the 6th most PPG in all of junior, and that year the Q was the lowest scoring of the three) if he would have gone back I cannot imagine the numbers he would have put up!

Actually I imagine Schenn like numbers... he was on pace for 142 points in 10-11... 0.3 PPG more than anyone else in juniors!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad