Recalled/Assigned: Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I've said it before on the prospects board and I'll say it again here. I see Laughton having a similar career to that of Jarrett Stoll. That's who he reminds me of anyway. 40 point two way center who does everything well but nothing exceptional. A very good, dependable player. I think that's a realistic expectation for him. If he happens to turn out to be the next Richards or Bergeron, then we can all be pleasantly surprised.

The next Crosby IMO.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I've said it before on the prospects board and I'll say it again here. I see Laughton having a similar career to that of Jarrett Stoll. That's who he reminds me of anyway. 40 point two way center who does everything well but nothing exceptional. A very good, dependable player. I think that's a realistic expectation for him. If he happens to turn out to be the next Richards or Bergeron, then we can all be pleasantly surprised.

Chris Kelly is another comparison. Still, that would be very dependable player that cup teams always seem to have.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Even if there were guys after him playing in the NHL, that's a dumb reason to worry. It's not about who gets there first, it's who turns out to be the better player in the long run.

The point was made to show that it is not like Laughton is behind everyone else in his development. If everyone in the 1st 2 rounds were in the NHL and contributing, then we should have a reason to worry. It's BS to say he has proven all he can in Jr. Did he win a scoring title and crush the competition? NO! Did he stand out in training camp? NO! He played equal to Hall. Let him dominate the OHL. Who knows, he might come in and make an impact like Jenner or Scheifele. If his upside is only a John Madden, what the hell is the rush when we have our top 3 centers in place for years.

Last edited:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
The point was made to show that it is not like Laughton is behind everyone else in his development. If everyone in the 1st 2 rounds were in the NHL and contributing, then we should have a reason to worry. It's BS to say he has proven all he can in Jr. Did he win a scoring title and crush the competition? NO! Did he stand out in training camp? NO! He played equal to Hall. Let him dominate the OHL. Who knows, he might come in and make an impact like Jenner or Scheifele. If his upside is only a John Madden, what the hell is the rush when we have our top 3 centers in place for years.

Yeah I gotch ya

BleedOrange

BuildThroughTheDraft
Aug 14, 2005
Oshawa Ontario
Gens’ Laughton is OHL Player of Week

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/gens-laughton-is-ohl-player-of-week/149905

The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Philadelphia Flyers prospect Scott Laughton of the Oshawa Generals is the OHL Player of the Week for the week ending October 6 after leading the league with nine points in three games scoring three goals with six assists and a plus-minus rating of plus-1.

Laughton returned from the Flyers this week and contributed immediately to the Generals’ who picked up three wins in three games. He also becomes the second member of his club to win the award in three weeks following 2014 NHL Draft prospect Michael Dal Colle in Opening Week. On Thursday night in his first game back with the club, Laughton scored twice and added two assists claiming first star honours in a big 7-1 win over East Division rivals the Peterborough Petes. One night later the Gennies hosted the Bulls in another East Division clash with Laughton collecting two assists as part of the 3-2 win. His week wrapped up on Sunday night with another multi-point game scoring once with two assists as first star of a 4-1 win over the Guelph Storm.

:yo::yo:

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I wonder how much of a look he got at LW. All of the pre-season discussion seemed to be about whether he would make the team at 4C--and quite a few posters (rightly, I think) expressed concern about using him solely in that role.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I wonder how much of a look he got at LW. All of the pre-season discussion seemed to be about whether he would make the team at 4C--and quite a few posters (rightly, I think) expressed concern about using him solely in that role.

There has been no conversation with him at wing. The really don't like him there for whatever reason.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
There has been no conversation with him at wing. The really don't like him there for whatever reason.

It is interesting. They've already begun the process of converting Schenn to wing, but unless they are planning to keep Laughton at 4C, someone else needs to move (either positionally or as a trade). Presumably Giroux and Couturier are set, so that would mean either Lecavlier or Laughton need to shift positions.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I have to question the decision only if it was Laviolette's. He's now gone, and Laughton can't be brought back up.

If there was an organizational consensus that Laughton was better off playing a 1C role in the CHL, then I trust them--they've got a decent track record when it comes to 1st round forwards.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It is interesting. They've already begun the process of converting Schenn to wing, but unless they are planning to keep Laughton at 4C, someone else needs to move (either positionally or as a trade). Presumably Giroux and Couturier are set, so that would mean either Lecavlier or Laughton need to shift positions.

Laughton needs to make the team before he can push Vinnie out of a spot. If he didn't outright make the team, which it was clear he didn't, then he's better off in Jr. Look at Scheifele. He's playing great for the Jets after an extra year in Jr. Let him play as a star in Oshawa, play at the WJC and work on his speed, strength, passing, shot, etc. etc.

Next year he can friggin' play 4C like every other guy. Couts did it and got lots of ice time on the PK too. In many ways, I wish Couts had been sent back - he might've had more chance to develop his offense.

Everyone is rushing this kid, he's good but he's not a born superstar. He will need some time, but he's a heckuva player.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Richards was 20 when he played with the Flyers and had played in the AHL.

Richards played with Kitchner @ 18 & 19, then played in the AHL (somehow) @ 19 to help the Phantoms win the Calder.

Then played 79 games with the Flyers @ 20, probably mostly on the 4th line.

If anything Laughton is following the EXACT same path.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Laughton needs to make the team before he can push Vinnie out of a spot. If he didn't outright make the team, which it was clear he didn't, then he's better off in Jr. Look at Scheifele. He's playing great for the Jets after an extra year in Jr. Let him play as a star in Oshawa, play at the WJC and work on his speed, strength, passing, shot, etc. etc.

Next year he can friggin' play 4C like every other guy. Couts did it and got lots of ice time on the PK too. In many ways, I wish Couts had been sent back - he might've had more chance to develop his offense.

Everyone is rushing this kid, he's good but he's not a born superstar. He will need some time, but he's a heckuva player.

My thoughts exactly. Another year in the OHL will do wonders for his offensive game. He'll finally get to be a number one center in Oshawa, captain a team, and play in an impact role for the WJC team. If Monahan sticks in Calgary, he could very well play his way into the number one center role and captain for that team as well. I'm really excited for this guy, as I think he'll be an excellent third line two-way centerman for a long time.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Schenn has more skill than Laughton and Schenn isn't exactly known for his defensive acumen. Laughton's main asset is his two way ability. If you move him to the wing you aren't getting the most out of your player. Laughton's not a stiff, but as of now he's not a guy I need to get on the wing because he's too good offensively. Maybe one day he will get there but Laughton is where he should be.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Richards was 20 when he played with the Flyers and had played in the AHL.

Richards played with Kitchner @ 18 & 19, then played in the AHL (somehow) @ 19 to help the Phantoms win the Calder.

Then played 79 games with the Flyers @ 20, probably mostly on the 4th line.

If anything Laughton is following the EXACT same path.

Season ended so Richards and Carter were called up to Phantoms. Same can be done with Laughton if the Phantoms make playoffs.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Season ended so Richards and Carter were called up to Phantoms. Same can be done with Laughton if the Phantoms make playoffs.

So the rule that they can't play till their 20 becomes softened when there is no junior season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad