Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, for what it is worth, yesterday was a rare good day as far as the standings go. Winnipeg, Vegas and Chicago- 3 teams we are trying to catch- all lost in regulation.

The Jets are sinking fast- they are 5-12 in their last 17 and are taking some big time lopsided losses. Outscored 16-4 last 3 games. Hard to imagine, but they are actually having a worse season than us. Preds and Jets were the king of the Central division for several years, but that is obviously over...….

Finally, was looking at the Central standings, and it is kind of crazy- if the Preds win their game in hand, we will be only 5 points behind Dallas for 3rd in the division. Dallas is 26-10-3 in their last 39 games and have 2 regulation wins against the Preds. The Preds season has felt like a complete disaster but despite everything, they are (potentially) only 5 points ahead of us with almost half a season left.

Crazy
I think what's really hard to imagine about the Jets is how they were able to stay afloat so long after losing: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot all off last season's D. And then Little, Tanev gone, Lowry now injured - they provided underrated contributions as well. So many band-aids in their lineup, it's a testament to something (coaching?, Hellebuyck, etc) that they've hung in as long as they have.

Anyway, even if some of the teams ahead of us are only on a 92-pt pace, we are still faced with the problem that there are 10 teams ahead of us right now. Some may stagger and not maintain that pace. Some may do better. Some will be more aggressive or feel more pressure to add at the deadline than we do. (Whether this makes any real difference or not, who knows). The projections that currently have us anywhere from about 45-60% odds on making it feel about right. Basically it is a coin toss right now.

Reactions: Byrddog

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Does anyone know if the Preds held practice this week before the All-star break?

During the bye-week teams are not allowed to practice or hold meetings.

I'm not sure about during the actual all-star break, they might have three days available to practice, or they might not.

If nothing else, the break gets the players away from one another and the stink of this season, so they might come back refreshed and ready to really shift into Hynes system. At least, that's what the optimistic side of me wants to believe.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think what's really hard to imagine about the Jets is how they were able to stay afloat so long after losing: Byfuglien, Trouba, Myers, Chiarot all off last season's D. And then Little, Tanev gone, Lowry now injured - they provided underrated contributions as well. So many band-aids in their lineup, it's a testament to something (coaching?, Hellebuyck, etc) that they've hung in as long as they have.

Anyway, even if some of the teams ahead of us are only on a 92-pt pace, we are still faced with the problem that there are 10 teams ahead of us right now. Some may stagger and not maintain that pace. Some may do better. Some will be more aggressive or feel more pressure to add at the deadline than we do. (Whether this makes any real difference or not, who knows). The projections that currently have us anywhere from about 45-60% odds on making it feel about right. Basically it is a coin toss right now.

A continued 92 point pace has us going down to the wire for a possible playoff position. The thing is that it doesn't take much of an overall improvement to get that points percentage trending in the right direction and suddenly 3rd in the division/ wild card 1 are realistic endpoints for this regular season that has been so frustrating up until now.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
This week off is doing us no good the players are in Florida soaking up sun not allowed to practice while we stew in the mediocrity of this season.
Probably a good indicator that one should change their priorities if they're taking the season harder than the players are.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I've got another take, if the fans are more concerned than the players then that's an indictment of the players.
If I had something like $30M locked in, it would probably be a little difficult to get TOO concerned.

Flip side as a fan posting frequently here... while it might seem like I was concerned if your only intersection with my life was reading my posts here... the reality is this is a tiny little distraction in the overall picture of any of our lives, so I can't see how any fan could ever truly be more concerned than even the most complacent player. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Who needs character if you have money, huh?
Depends on your definition of "character" I guess. Hockey is still just a game and entertainment product, so you could take your $30M and demonstrate a whole lot more character via other channels besides focusing on hockey.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm sure that's what they are doing if they are in Fla soaking up the sun
I imagine some are going more exotic than FLA. But taking care of yourself and enjoying time with your family could be considered smart character choices too. YOLO. Some are probably partying and blowing their $$$. It's their money.

I guess at that level it's more incumbent on the GM to try to construct a team where he has identified players who are going to stick to their hockey goals when it comes time to hand out contracts...? I wouldn't really blame players for just being themselves and enjoying life. It's somebody else's job to figure out who has what it takes to win a hockey championship. :dunno:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
To be honest, some players just don't really care either, some NHL players don't even like hockey but they've been elite at it from such a young age that they were kind of forced to stick with it, or players who used to really love the game but after progressing through the levels and grinding at it year after year can lose their passion for it. I think those are the ones who get paid and lose their edge a bit. Probably a tiny % of NHL players, but if you have 2-3 of them on your roster that can pull the room in the wrong direction.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
To be honest, some players just don't really care either, some NHL players don't even like hockey but they've been elite at it from such a young age that they were kind of forced to stick with it, or players who used to really love the game but after progressing through the levels and grinding at it year after year can lose their passion for it. I think those are the ones who get paid and lose their edge a bit. Probably a tiny % of NHL players, but if you have 2-3 of them on your roster that can pull the room in the wrong direction.
Go look at these guys' Instagrams about a week after they get eliminated from the playoffs. They're on various yachts all over the world smiling and spending time with their families or partying. It's important to keep in perspective that this is indeed a game, for entertainment and for turning $ for the owners and the league.

Reactions: NNCbama

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i think it's more than a tiny % but great post. it applies to all areas of life.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
During the bye-week teams are not allowed to practice or hold meetings.

I'm not sure about during the actual all-star break, they might have three days available to practice, or they might not.

If nothing else, the break gets the players away from one another and the stink of this season, so they might come back refreshed and ready to really shift into Hynes system. At least, that's what the optimistic side of me wants to believe.

As a follow up, it looks like the Preds have a public practice scheduled in Bellevue on Sunday, so they should indeed have at least 3 days available to practice (2 and a morning skate) during this break.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I've got another take, if the fans are more concerned than the players then that's an indictment of the players.

Nah. The season is an absolute grind for these guys and a few days away to recharge the batteries is a good thing. I hope the last thing they think about is hockey.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Do you spend all your time on a week off of work thinking about your job? I know I sure don't and that if I did it would have cracked me long ago. Compartmentalization and balance can be very good things.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
If I was performing far below my and my companies expectations it certainly would be on my mind. Especially if my company was near the bottom in relation to it's peers and far worse than recent years and my boss had been fired because of it.

I was just reacting to this comment "Probably a good indicator that one should change their priorities if they're taking the season harder than the players are. " Which made me think that if the players care less than the fans, those whose lives were built around being a NHL player then that complacency was disturbing.

Then again if the players don't give a crap then neither should we. And we obviously do since we are on this forum.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is understandable that players would take some time for themselves in a break like this. I would guess the majority of us here do the same. But what Fossil said has merit as well. These guys have chosen a profession where they are paid generously to perform 15 to 20 minutes a day for 82 to 110 days a year. Yes they do time in the gym on days but how many others do this on top of there jobs in the real world. I have said this before a few years ago and was chastised about how difficult there jobs are. Well I can think of quite a few occupations that are significantly more difficult and taxing on the human body. A number of people perform in occupations where life and limb is on the line either there own or others. And as Fossil points out if these people were performing as poorly as these players they would make some decisions to change occupations or put in extra work in down time to improve their performance. It is not like there lives depend on performance.

With that said we as fans enjoy there product and each has varying depths of expectations. At this level it is more a motivation issue for players than a skill issue. Motivation for any flesh comes from few resources. Leadership, primal needs or internal fires in the individual. Typically one of those three motivate each of us to perform. This is not unique in hockey but exists in us all to a good job or a poor one. In hockey accountability is hard unless you are a coach or GM your job is on the line at all times. But players have contracts that will be honored reguardless of future performance. A typical contract for a athlete at the professional level relieves them for ever having to work again after the playing days. Even a three year 3 million contract banks more than the majority of the population will earn in a lifetime. So money is not a motivator for players after they have made it just a few years in the league. So whats left leadership and personal motivation. If either fails performance tanks.

As fans we can only hope that after this week these guys come back refocused. To be honest it is a small number here that are the issue and each has been discussed thru out the season. Then there are some who either by age injury have dropped off. Then there a few that talent level alone is there issue. Again as fans we get too caught up with individual favorites at times and just ignor the performance either wishing for more potential . One example I can give is Colon Wilson because I really really wanted that guy to be better than he ever was. I gave up on him faster than most around year 5 he was here and some continued the entire 8 years he was here even if he was just good in the playoffs some found value there. Wilson has made just over 27 million from the league after the contract he is on expires. A good guy that will never have to work again and was mediocre at best his entire career.

SO yes as fans we should have expectations for these guys. We have shelled out a lot of money over the years and put in much more time into teams because this is a release for us. We are all poor GM's for various reasons. And we have arguments with each other often but that is to be expected. Each of us want this team to perform, even me but we all have different outlooks as to what would make the team better.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
i still find it funny you came back to being a preds fan once tampa started to struggle.

i don't think you have much credibility about athletes putting the required effort in to be successful when you changed your favorite hockey team from nashville to tampa bay like it was nothing.
You may want to take a look at the standings again. Tampa is not struggling. Even with that I have not stopped following the four teams I have been following for 20 years now. I follow the Bolts, Preds, Sabres, Avalanche that has not changed. Prior to Nashville getting a team I pulled for the Oilers and before that the Flyers back in the 80's now if you wish to criticize me for leaving them that would be warranted in fact since the Weber thing with the Flyers I have dispised that team.

Now have I focused more on the Bolts the last couple years yes im guilty there because I think they have a much better chance at a Cup than the other three and yes my favorite player is there but my second and third favorite players are Preds Josi and Rinne. If the truth is told if I were betting I think the Colorado will be the next of my favorite teams to win a cup but we will see.

I held off from posting on the Pred board for quite some time and came back to get a feel of what some here think about rebuilding this team that is floundering. A team that was preseason favorite to make a deep run now sits at the bottom of there division. Take it for what it is worth if I did not care about what happens to this team I sure could just not even come here to have a handful of people criticize my loyalty. I have not attended a game in Nashville since my run in with them owners a few years ago and that will remain to be the case until ownership changes. On top of that I have not been to the Bridgestone Arena since that time for the same reason. I refuse to give that ownership group another dime of my money. Perhaps ownership will change and I return or maybe not. I will still follow the team as well as the three other team I like. If people here do not like that its on them not me. Over the years I have spent enough time and $$$$$ to justify my continuing to follow this team and wanting the team to succeed.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Looking over the team stats I was wondering where the team was hurting.

Team offense? 8th in goals per game
Team defense? 9th in goal against per game
shot per game? 3rd! 3rd! per game as compared to all the other teams.
Shots against? 4th! 4TH per game!

Goalie stats?

Rinne: .899 oy. 2.95 GAA oy
Saros: .895 oh gawd 3.13 GAA oh hell!

Cumulatively, the stats are shit. BUT, they are going up. Slightly. Slowly.

Can the Preds wait that long? They can either reduce the number of shots OR trade for a new goaler. Some one mentioned here, call up Ingram. He would get a slight 'dead cat bounce.' Would that be enough to get a few wins??

Honestly, this team CAN make the playoffs as constructed, IF the goalies start showing up.

Rinne and Saros are the problem, CAN they fix it? Is this a 'drop a dope' where they play hot towards the playoffs?

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
The latest “ Biggest game of the Year” tonight. Sets the tone going forward. Playing a team in a similar position (underperforming with high expectations). A must-win against a talented team that can breakout at anytime. The Playoffs have started. Buckle up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad