Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
A win’s a win. 35 games left and we’re within games-in-hand of a playoff spot. Plenty of time and opportunity. Man-up fan base. You’re spoiled.

I'm a Red Sox fan and a Patriots fan. Shove it with that spoiled crap. As the man says, 'YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!' Preds fans have no cups, they are not spoiled. If you said Boston fans are spoiled, yup. You said Preds fans are spoiled, where the cups? No one is spoiled in Nashville. Being 'Happy to be there' is bullshit.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
In the wildcards, Arizona and Vegas are both on 92 point paces. Winnipeg is on pace for 92 points as well. So 93 points might just be barely enough to make the playoffs. So getting 6 of every 10 points might be just enough to get there assuming the other teams don’t win an extra game or two along the way

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's not being spoiled to have expectations of a team that was supposed to be good enough to compete for the division but is doing all it can to stay out of the basement of the division.

If this was a team that was expected to be a bubble team it would be different, but it wasn't, so you can take that spoiled crap and throw it out the window.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Like days of old, Pekka stole this game. .

Strongly disagree- look at any stat from that game that you can find- the shots on goal were pretty even, but the Preds completely dominated everything else. The expected goals in the game were Preds 3.86- Sabres 1.37

Moneypuck deserve to win o'meter was a whopping 88% for Preds/ 12% Buffalo. If you look at the heat map, the Preds were all over the net front area with shots/chances- a rarity for the Preds.

Pekka did have a strong game, but goaltending did not steal that game- Buffalo was very fortunate that it wasn't a blowout loss- Ullmark saved them- if anything it should have been a 4-1/ 5-1 type Preds win.

It is only one game, but hopefully it is a good sign for the rest of the year.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
S

Pekka did have a strong game, but goaltending did not steal that game- Buffalo was very fortunate that it wasn't a blowout loss- Ullmark saved them- if anything it should have been a 4-1/ 5-1 type Preds win.

I don't disagree, but I always have to ask myself: was it Ullmark saving them, or the Preds' too-typical inability to finish?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Strongly disagree- look at any stat from that game that you can find- the shots on goal were pretty even, but the Preds completely dominated everything else. The expected goals in the game were Preds 3.86- Sabres 1.37

Moneypuck deserve to win o'meter was a whopping 88% for Preds/ 12% Buffalo. If you look at the heat map, the Preds were all over the net front area with shots/chances- a rarity for the Preds.

It is only one game, but hopefully it is a good sign for the rest of the year.
Ok. But he only gave up 1 goal while Preds bounced in a couple. Love those dirty goals but definitely not finishing well yet. But a win is a win and they’ve been too rare.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Just looking ahead to the second half- if the Preds are going to make any kind of a run it is certainly not going to be an easy task regardless of how well we play.

The upcoming schedule is BRUTAL.

Next 12 games:
TORONTO
@ Washington
@ New Jersey
VEGAS
@ Winnipeg
@ Calgary
@ Edmonton
@ Vancouver
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
@ St Louis
ST LOUIS
CAROLINA

Yikes- that is a brutal schedule. New Jersey is the only “easy” game on there, and as we all know, there is no such thing as an easy opponent for the Preds.

Reactions: NNCbama

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Just looking ahead to the second half- if the Preds are going to make any kind of a run it is certainly not going to be an easy task regardless of how well we play.

Next 12 games:
TORONTO
@ Washington
@ New Jersey
VEGAS
@ Winnipeg
@ Calgary
@ Edmonton
@ Vancouver
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
@ St Louis
ST LOUIS
CAROLINA

Yikes- that is a brutal schedule. New Jersey is the only “easy” game on there, and as we all know, there is no such thing as an easy opponent for the Preds.
If we are gonna make the playoffs and make a run these are the teams we need to measure up to. If we can’t beat these teams then we don’t need to be in the playoffs at all and Poile can start to maybe retool this team a little

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
If we are gonna make the playoffs and make a run these are the teams we need to measure up to. If we can’t beat these teams then we don’t need to be in the playoffs at all and Poile can start to maybe retool this team a little

Agreed, seems like there's actually several winnable games in that run. Not easy wins, but winnable if the team plays the right way and the goaltending doesn't fall apart.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

It'll be a big test for us and that Vegas through Vancouver stretch may very likely propel us into a playoff spot or bury us since those are all teams that we will be fighting for playoff positioning for down the stretch. From an entertainment perspective getting to watch a bunch of meaningful games for the next month or so will be really fun too.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Agreed, seems like there's actually several winnable games in that run. Not easy wins, but winnable if the team plays the right way and the goaltending doesn't fall apart.

It's weird too because looking at it the toughest games should be the Caps, Blues, and Islanders who we are 4-0 against this season. Being on the road for 8 out of 10 games to start it also would seem like it would be bad too, but given how we've played at home it really doesn't seem like it will make a difference.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
At this point... who knows. I don't think the schedule looks particularly conducive to any change in fortunes. But it's crunch time and maybe the team will pull off a mini-miracle. Either way, I think the real key is that management has to be prepared for either eventuality.... if we just muddle our way through this upcoming pre-deadline slate of games at .500, then we MUST be Sellers. But even if we instead have a pretty solid run, it's not like the team has conclusively Turned The Corner; we can't really yet justify being Buyers either.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Next 12 games:
TORONTO
@ Washington
@ New Jersey
VEGAS
@ Winnipeg
@ Calgary
@ Edmonton
@ Vancouver
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
@ St Louis
ST LOUIS
CAROLINA

For all that is hockey if we lose that game to Jersey with Hynes being fired up to play that one the season is done. Mentally it may be done now. I do not see a good chance to string three in this block of games much less get a 6 or 7 game streak we need.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
For all that is hockey if we lose that game to Jersey with Hynes being fired up to play that one the season is done. Mentally it may be done now. I do not see a good chance to string three in this block of games much less get a 6 or 7 game streak we need.

Don't need a streak. Just need to win 2 out of 3.

(a streak would be nice...)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

It's the same thing as the last 2 months, basically... "2 out of 3"... it's definitely not impossible. It's just... based on any evidence we have had so far, it's difficult to really get invested in that kind of optimism.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

Next 12 games:
TORONTO
@ Washington
@ New Jersey
VEGAS
@ Winnipeg
@ Calgary
@ Edmonton
@ Vancouver
NEW YORK ISLANDERS
@ St Louis
ST LOUIS
CAROLINA

We need an absolute minimum of 15 points in those 12 games.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
But it's crunch time and maybe the team will pull off a mini-miracle.
This would not really shock me as the team *does* have talent. However with that stretch coming up I can't help but seeing it solidify the team as sellers at the deadline. Maybe they will surprise me.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This would not really shock me as the team *does* have talent. However with that stretch coming up I can't help but seeing it solidify the team as sellers at the deadline. Maybe they will surprise me.
It would kind of shock me if they did... but I think where we are at with this team, we still just have to keep hoping for that mini-miracle, right up until it basically becomes mathematically impossible to maintain hope.

I just hope Poile remains pragmatic heading into the deadline despite that. Buying has never really panned out for us before, so it shouldn't be an option pretty much no matter what happens. Selling... hopefully he can see that at least some of our sales items don't really make a significant enough impact on the team's fortunes (i.e. Granlund) to warrant holding onto them for any final hail marys.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, for what it is worth, yesterday was a rare good day as far as the standings go. Winnipeg, Vegas and Chicago- 3 teams we are trying to catch- all lost in regulation.

The Jets are sinking fast- they are 5-12 in their last 17 and are taking some big time lopsided losses. Outscored 16-4 last 3 games. Hard to imagine, but they are actually having a worse season than us. Preds and Jets were the king of the Central division for several years, but that is obviously over...….

Finally, was looking at the Central standings, and it is kind of crazy- if the Preds win their game in hand, we will be only 5 points behind Dallas for 3rd in the division. Dallas is 26-10-3 in their last 39 games and have 2 regulation wins against the Preds. The Preds season has felt like a complete disaster but despite everything, they are (potentially) only 5 points ahead of us with almost half a season left.

Crazy

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Well, for what it is worth, yesterday was a rare good day as far as the standings go. Winnipeg, Vegas and Chicago- 3 teams we are trying to catch- all lost in regulation.

The Jets are sinking fast- they are 5-12 in their last 17 and are taking some big time lopsided losses. Outscored 16-4 last 3 games. Hard to imagine, but they are actually having a worse season than us. Preds and Jets were the king of the Central division for several years, but that is obviously over...….

Finally, was looking at the Central standings, and it is kind of crazy- if the Preds win their game in hand, we will be only 5 points behind Dallas for 3rd in the division. Dallas is 26-10-3 in their last 39 games and have 2 regulation wins against the Preds. The Preds season has felt like a complete disaster but despite everything, they are (potentially) only 5 points ahead of us with almost half a season left.

Crazy

The West in general is just very odd this year. Basically you have the Blues who are clearly the best team, the Avs who are generally solid, and then a whole lot of mediocrity and inconsistent play (and even the Avs fit into this at times).

Along those line I'm a lot less concerned about getting into the playoffs than a lot of people seem to be here. At the current pace 92 points should be good enough to get into the playoffs as a wildcard and we've played at a 89 point pace this far this season. So we really only need to make up 3 points here down the stretch to get in. Essentially getting 6 points out of every 5 games should really be enough. Like others have said if we can't manage to do that we don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

While winning 2 out of three for the rest of the year would put them in the mid ninety point range it would not do what a 6 or 7 game win streak could be the Prozac the fan base needs. I am not at all convinced that either will occur. I mean it is that time of year and anything can happen, but anything can happen to the rest of the teams around us as well for a wildcard spot. The top three in the division are putting up points at over 60% available the preds are at even 50% there is just not much chance to make that up unless the Stars are infected with malaria and a rash of 6 broken legs. While our goals against under Hynes has dropped .25 the goals for has also dropped nearly a full goal per game. So there is a difference in coaching starting to show up. The question thru this next 12 games can the players fully adjust to Hynes while putting 66% of the points in there pocket like the winning 2 out of 3 will. I think there best hope is going to be 6 points maybe 8 in these 12. The two back to backs could be brutal we have to expect that Rinne goes against the Caps and Sarros gets the Devils in that order I do not think either will be a win. Then at the end of the 12 you get a home and home with the Blues. We have a Canucks game in there also we are 33-47-2 against them historically the only team we have lost to more are the Wings. We are 34-37-4 against the Flames historically and they are playing well right now but I expect we get a win over them just due to their inability to score many goals the other games I think we have a chance to win- the Jets game and the Oilers game. Now I hope I am wrong but the Devils, Jets, Flames and Oilers games are the winnable ones. We could get a loser point against the Islanders if they can control Barzel. I know some will point to use beating the Blues twice earlier in the year and while true the Blues just like last year are really playing well now after a slow start. We have always had issues with the Blues even in there down years it was never a given. 60-58-4 Historically including a 6 year stretch where we dominated them.

This week off is doing us no good the players are in Florida soaking up sun not allowed to practice while we stew in the mediocrity of this season.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
At the current pace 92 points should be good enough to get into the playoffs as a wildcard and we've played at a 89 point pace this far this season. So we really only need to make up 3 points here down the stretch to get in. Essentially getting 6 points out of every 5 games should really be enough. Like others have said if we can't manage to do that we don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

And to follow up on this. This is another thing that is almost hard to believe- but since November 21, when were sitting at 9-9-3, the Preds have actually played at a 95 point pace.

That just does not feel right- it feels like we have been a 75 point pace team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad