Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
For what it is worth, I expect Granlund, Bonino and Smith to all be traded.

Johansen is also one I expect to be gone, maybe not this season, but during the off season to move up in the draft.

I've heard from a pretty realiable source that Smith wants north of $5M. This is the same source that said Duchene would be under $8.25 and Josi would be around $9. They also predicted Lavi would be fired after the Cali road trip.

If that is the case, I expect Smith to be delt even though I would probably prefer to keep him.

Mods if you feel like deleting this that's fine, just reporting what I'm hearing.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Somebody needs to fine Arvy for his complete inability to get shots on net this season. Going to start nicknaming him 'Ol' Ring Around the Boards.'
Josi and Fabbro are also shooters that miss the target more often than not.

Ironic stat: Smith is the only regular on the team who shoots on target more than 2 out of 3 attempts.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Josi and Fabbro are also shooters that miss the target more often than not.

Ironic stat: Smith is the only regular on the team who shoots on target more than 2 out of 3 attempts.

If you consider the goalies jersey crest "on target" then I suppose you are correct, lol.

And dont defensemen shooting from way out sometimes not aim directly at the net because they are hoping for a deflection or weird bounce off the boards? I would think the chances of Dmen scoring directly on their shots is less than a forward.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Whatsup guys

What would be your observations on Alex Carrier’s play during his short 3 games stint with the Preds ?

I saw he played only around 10 minutes a game, but did he leave a good impression ?

NHL regular next year or not ?
Didn't really get enough time to see much, but I think he should at least be in the running for a spot next year. I'm assuming they let all of Hamhuis, Irwin, and Weber go, but with Poile you never really know, his loyalty extends in just about all directions, so he could even retain these bottom/spare D. The Preds should sign a new body or two and give Carrier a legitimate shot, but you never know.

Reactions: Max McBolt

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If you consider the goalies jersey crest "on target" then I suppose you are correct, lol.

And dont defensemen shooting from way out sometimes not aim directly at the net because they are hoping for a deflection or weird bounce off the boards? I would think the chances of Dmen scoring directly on their shots is less than a forward.
Yes, both percentage of shot attempts not being on target and shooting percentage are normally substantially lower for d-men due to factors including what you are describing.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
If they are playing Watson over Trenin management has also given up on the season. Watson advance stats are awful this year.

It really matters which advanced stats you look at. "expected" stats fail correlation assessments.

On the other hand, the Admirals play tonight. Trenin is an AHL allstar and can benefit from a week in the AHL rather than taking a bye week. This is Watson's first appearance in a game since Hynes actually conducted a practice. Time to see how he buys in and fits into the new coach's system.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
For what it is worth, I expect Granlund, Bonino and Smith to all be traded.

Johansen is also one I expect to be gone, maybe not this season, but during the off season to move up in the draft.

I've heard from a pretty realiable source that Smith wants north of $5M. This is the same source that said Duchene would be under $8.25 and Josi would be around $9. They also predicted Lavi would be fired after the Cali road trip.

If that is the case, I expect Smith to be delt even though I would probably prefer to keep him.

Mods if you feel like deleting this that's fine, just reporting what I'm hearing.

Smith at $5-6mil is expected based on performance. 20+ goals in five of the past six seasons and on pace to contend for 20+ again this season. That gets a forward paid.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Smith at $5-6mil is expected based on performance. 20+ goals in five of the past six seasons and on pace to contend for 20+ again this season. That gets a forward paid.
I have never understood the Smith thing. He’s usually good for 20+ goals, goes all out every shift and plays PP and a little D. We were excited initially about Turris who had more assists but didn’t score goals like Smith. Ditto Grandlund. Jarnkrok is versatile but not a scorer. Sissons is , well, just Sissons. Bonino has only hit 20 once. Grimsldi is lightning fast but not really a scorer yet.
Point being, if Preds didn’t have Smith they’d be searching for a player like him and be happy to find one with his stats and desire.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I have never understood the Smith thing. He’s usually good for 20+ goals, goes all out every shift and plays PP and a little D. We were excited initially about Turris who had more assists but didn’t score goals like Smith. Ditto Grandlund. Jarnkrok is versatile but not a scorer. Sissons is , well, just Sissons. Bonino has only hit 20 once. Grimsldi is lightning fast but not really a scorer yet.
Point being, if Preds didn’t have Smith they’d be searching for a player like him and be happy to find one with his stats and desire.
I expect we all like Smith and what he does. Just... if you have to sign him at this stage in his career for 6 years and $6M per... I'm not sure that's going to be a great deal for us in a few years. :dunno:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
We have not won ANY 2-1 games this year. Zero.

If this season is going to turn around, it will be because Pekka regains some semblance of his old self. And I also believe if Pekka can stand on his head and win a couple or three, the team will feed off that and play with more confidence.
:eek::teach:

Reactions: glenngineer

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN

People don't like Smith because he doesn't look pretty. He skates with a choppy motion, he's not a great passer, and he's not a great shooter. And he's streaky. But Craig Smith makes up for all his deficiencies with pure effort and always has. I can count on one hand the number of times in his career I've thought Smith gave a poor effort.

How many people would realize Smith is #6 on the Preds all-time scoring list. The only current Predator ahead of him? Forsberg.

Last edited:

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
The thing that shocked me about last night's game is the speed and the effort. I was blown away by how fast and hard we were skating and couldn't remember the last time I had that reaction. That's a sad commentary though, because it tells you how long it has been since we have.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So apparently Hynes said they wanted to get 6 out of 10 points from the 5 games leading to the break. Mission accomplished, although it didnt look pretty.

Taking 6 out of every 10 for the remaining 35 games will put us at 93 points, which I suspect wont be enough for a WC spot.

Shows just how tenuous our playoff hopes are right now. We absolutely cannot afford another 3 game losing streak or the math starts to get downright daunting

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Like days of old, Pekka stole this game. Both Preds goals were of the lucky, dirty variety. Ok, they’ve been missing those gritty goals but they’ve got to play even better than last night.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Pekka with a solid game Ullmark with a solid game. The Preds did what they needed to do matched the team speed. Won a low scoring 1 goal game finally, won on a Sat night, Played with effort, held Eichel off the score sheet, Give us a all star break to not pull all of our hair out.

The thing that has not changed this team needs a streak real bad to save our sanity. The issue is where could it be? The next 5 games I can not see 6 points. I see wins over Devils and the Flames. Then the next 5 games is even worse I can see them beating the Oil but the Blues twice Isles and Canucks could well end our season.

If you look at Pekka game log he has had a 4 game win streak and two 3 game win streaks. With 35 games to go he has to have the rest of the load besides the 5 back to backs. This will give him 59 starts for the year. Too much??? Maybe but there is just no other option to ride him. Ingram will get a few games before the end of the year my guess is after the deadline.

The win was good for our soul but 8 points in the last 8 games has made no distance up on the division. 9 games until the team gets to play a division team now. While the other teams in the division are playing each other That 4 game swing against the Pacific shapes up to be brutal all four of them are fighting for position we match better with the Flames than the rest. The Wild have two more games before the break the Panthers and the Wings both at home. So we can expect they win against the Wings and put us last in the division before the break but when the break is over the Wild have a tough road, 4 straight division games then tough games against Vegas and the Rags. The Hawks beat the Leafs last night and are on a three game win streak going into tonights game with the Jets a three point games here will SUCK. Looking up seeing two Pacific teams in the wildcard spots with 4 teams tied with 57 points does give hope. There games in hand are troubling since they have been feasting on each other they have more games done. To make a run at them the central division teams are going to need a 5 to 7 game win streak so who will it be the Preds, Hawks, Wild or the Jets?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think Buffalo's usage of Eichel actually hurt them, he was basically dead in the final minutes. Managing his ice time earlier in the game would have kept him fresh and it could definitely have made the difference in last night's game.
That's hard for them to do right now with Skinner and Ollfason both out. Hes is the only play maker they have healthy. Its is essentially like teams shutting down the JOFFA line here. It limits the rest of the team. The Preds got it done they did allow Reinhart to get a goal but holding Eichel off the scoreboard pretty much assures Buffalo a loss. Well that and starting Hutton.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The thing that shocked me about last night's game is the speed and the effort. I was blown away by how fast and hard we were skating and couldn't remember the last time I had that reaction. That's a sad commentary though, because it tells you how long it has been since we have.

I'll be honest, I thought the speed and effort the last two games have been non-existent. Not calling your comment out at all but the first game with Hynes at the helm, we still looked like the team Lavy was coaching. The road trip, we had jump, effort and speed from the get go. The Anaheim game looked like the Boston game all over again. And last night, I was bored out of my mind because it looked like a preseason or game early in the season. Passing was horrific. Guys looked lost. No cohesiveness at all. Happy about the win but they need to get their game together if we're going to make a run to get into the playoffs as well as doing any damage in the playoffs. This Jeckyl and Hyde stuff needs to stop.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
So apparently Hynes said they wanted to get 6 out of 10 points from the 5 games leading to the break. Mission accomplished, although it didnt look pretty.

Taking 6 out of every 10 for the remaining 35 games will put us at 93 points, which I suspect wont be enough for a WC spot.

Shows just how tenuous our playoff hopes are right now. We absolutely cannot afford another 3 game losing streak or the math starts to get downright daunting

6 of 10 when making changes is a decent starting point and above their season to date. The team needs to stabilize things and take closer to 70% of the points from here on out to secure a playoff spot. It still astounds me that this team is within striking distance if it could ever string a few games together and capitalize on its games in hand with Vegas and Arizona within reach.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
93 points has historically been enough to get in the past few seasons, but it would nice to pick a few extra points so we're not dependent on other teams losing. Getting the 1st wildcard and going through the Pacific would be easier on paper too so would be ideal to end up in the 97-100 point range.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
A win’s a win. 35 games left and we’re within games-in-hand of a playoff spot. Plenty of time and opportunity. Man-up fan base. You’re spoiled.

Reactions: 101st_fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->