Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
We seriously need to be in the market for a goalie. Saros is not the answer.

Saros may kick juicy rebounds, but he's generally quick enough to get any followup shot too.

Last night a rebound was only a factor in one goal. And on that goal, we allowed a player to shoot from the slot below the hashmarks, let the rebound go right between Josi's legs and then Granlund was in poor position to stop the rebound shot. Three failures on the defense, one on the goalie which occurred because he made an excellent save on a high-danger chance.

Neither goalie is having much success. That tells you it's likely a lot less on the goalie.

FYI - I do think Saros needs to continue to improve on rebound control, but I think it's way too early to write him off, especially considering how well we've seen him play during his young career.

Max McBolt

Dec 18, 2018
Whatsup guys

What would be your observations on Alex Carrier’s play during his short 3 games stint with the Preds ?

I saw he played only around 10 minutes a game, but did he leave a good impression ?

NHL regular next year or not ?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Preds are now 4-11 in last 15 games in Bridgestone

FOUR AND ELEVEN

I absolutely hate watching us in Bridgestone-

Following up on this- I remain oddly fascinated about our play at home

I went back even further with it and we are 21-24 in our last 45 home games.

What is interesting to me is that with all of the problems this team has, and we all know that is a long list- even so, if the Preds simply played decent hockey at home we would be sitting here in good position.

Our play on the road has been just fine- last year we were 22-15-4 and even this year we are 11-9-3. Those records are perfectly acceptable.

If we just had a league average home record- say, 13-6-4 instead of our current 10-9-4- we would be at 55 points and in the playoffs- and just 3 points out of 2nd place in the division. That is just 3 more home wins- (wins over Detroit, Chicago and Anaheim, 3 games we inexplicably lost).

We aren’t just average at home anymore, we are flat out terrible- last 3 home games were all blowouts (5-2/ 6-2/ 4-2) and we never led for one second in any of them.

We just lost twice to Anaheim. Played awful in the road game but at least fought back and took it to OT. At home, we can’t even do that- when we get behind at home, by any margin, the game is over- period.

It all started with that Calgary complete meltdown where we blew a 3 goal third period lead. Starting with that game, we are 4-11 in last 15 and have a minus 20 goal differential (38 goals scored/58 goals allowed). MINUS 20????!!!

I mean, those numbers are what you would see from the worst team in the league.

Absolutely mind boggling. I would be perfectly fine if we played the rest of the season on the road- we would have a better chance at the playoffs.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I have accepted our position as sellers at the deadline, and I think the game last night could've likely done the same for Poile.

Yes, and I am totally fine with that. Poile's moves as a seller have been much much better than as a buyer.

Move Granlund, Smith and Bonino. Listen on everyone else.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Whatsup guys

What would be your observations on Alex Carrier’s play during his short 3 games stint with the Preds ?

I saw he played only around 10 minutes a game, but did he leave a good impression ?

NHL regular next year or not ?
I liked much of what i saw. I think he'll get a legit shot going into next season.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yes, and I am totally fine with that. Poile's moves as a seller have been much much better than as a buyer.

It's expected to have a positive seller resume, buying on the deadline almost never works out for a given team.
Poile has outright f***ing sucked when he's buying players.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Poile is part of our problem.

Poile's role here is complicated. He went out and found the talent we've sought for so long. The issue is that the talent he brought in isn't meshing worth a damn right now. It's a wonderful team on paper, mediocre on ice. No heart or resilience.

I wish I had the insight in the locker room to discern what the issues are with this team. We see symptoms during games but not the root cause.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

I concur with seller. Granlund and Bonino are ok to go. I’d seriously kick the tires on Forsberg and Johansen. Neither seems have much desire to work hard.
But Smith is not the problem on this team. He works hard every night; just has more limited skills. In fact, he works his way to 20 a year. Forsberg limits himself to the 20’s while he could work himself to the 40’s.
Teams with a good core of stars need players like Smith, Jarnkrok and Sissons as secondary players but they cannot lead the team. Players like Duchene and Arvidsson can be these leaders as could Johansen and Forsberg. But Johansen and Forsberg are a couple of under achievers who appear content.
I’ve never been sold on Saros as Preds future star goalie and with Pekka’s diminishing skills he’s a problem. Also Preds don’t need both Eckholm and Ellis.
I’d sell quite a few if possible.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
f***, this is a depressing season. This team needs a mental enema. Talent wise, this team should be a top 5 team. It is bottom 10. If the front office sells, they could theoretically score a haul for a draft which could be 'generational'. BUT, if the front office buys into the season they have Picks which could be glorious. I do not envy Poile's choice. Either way, I think this is Poile's last season. Hope is fleeting and I'm wondering if there is a locker room leader to trade for which fits needs.

I don't know what would be the best options: benching stars, taking the C off Josi, blow it up.

I'm in the camp of fight, but that is changing by the day.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
People gave 303 crap when he said goaltending was the biggest problem with this team but he was right. This team, as bad as their record is, can score goals. In every season prior to this, Rinne would carry the team through periods of crappy play and poor offensive productivity. But not this year. We have not won ANY 2-1 games this year. Zero. 101st pointed out that the 1-0 Saros win was the first game we have won with less than 3 goals. That's goaltending, pure and simple. You can rationalize that the goaltending is bad because the play in front of them is bad but I'd argue we've had much worse teams that Rinne has made look better than this one.

If this season is going to turn around, it will be because Pekka regains some semblance of his old self. And I also believe if Pekka can stand on his head and win a couple or three, the team will feed off that and play with more confidence.

That said, I think we've reached the point where we need to see if Ingram has NHL ability that we can tap into.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
To make my goaltending point in more concrete terms, this team has lost eleven games in which they scored 3 or more goals and five games in which they scored 4 or more.

That explains the current predicament of this team better than any fancy stats.

If we win 3 of those 5 where we scored 4 or more and 2 of the other six when we scored 3, and maybe stole one freaking game where we score 2, that's 9-12 points more in the standings (some of the losses were OT).

Wed be concerned but not despondent about the season. And Lavy would still be coaching.

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I think Forsberg is trying too hard to be “the guy”. He has gone through phases of this before. He needs to stop pressing and work with his line mates.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
If the plan is to skate Watson on Saturday then it makes sense to send Trenin down to get more time in Milwaukee ... a winning environment. Not everything is the end of the universe.

If they are playing Watson over Trenin management has also given up on the season. Watson advance stats are awful this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis