Observations XXVII

Should a moderator become involved and direct this thread to true Observations, X's and O's ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
That's all stuff that we as fans do not know, and why fans forming opinions and making definitive statements about players and teams based on advanced stats is a foolish endeavor.

I use them as a way to see if what my eyes are telling me is also being reflected in the analytics. We all know the 5v5 play hasn't really been a problem with this team. Sure the defense has been pretty bad, and the goaltending has arguably been worse, but this is actually shown in the metrics as well. It basically shows that on 5v5 we are more than competitive which must mean that something else is wrong. We all know what that something else is.

I also like to see where we stack up against other teams in specific metrics. That is where I find value in the Tableau charts provided on the Charting Hockey site.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Gosh no. We need more of that, not less. It's more like he's putting Granlund on the trading block. Because we need that in our top 6 too. Trenin doesn't belong on merely a 4th line like Watson.
Yeah Watson is signed at very reasonable money and is perfect for the 4th line. Trenin needs to replace Granlund or Smith next year.

Reactions: NNCbama

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Trenin seems like he has the offensive instincts to be a top six player for sure. Really excited to see how he develops because he to me has the potential of a 30 goal scorer one day.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Gosh no. We need more of that, not less. It's more like he's putting Granlund on the trading block. Because we need that in our top 6 too. Trenin doesn't belong on merely a 4th line like Watson.
These guys all bring different tools in their toolboxes to work. Trenin is big, plays a straight line physical game, has speed and some legit offensive skills (shown at the AHL level). Granlund is an energy guy, faster and smaller, a playmaker who can score, and has situational versatility. Watson is similar in size and skills to those Trenin has shown this year, but Watson has shown he can be a very good defensive forward and a top guy on a good PK, which Trenin hasn't been asked to do at all.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Observation: Colton Sissons was skating at Centennial today. Wasn't a legit workout or anything, looked more like he was testing the stability of his leg.
At least we know he's mobile and testing it, right.?.?.?

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
What's interesting about these last 2 games is our passing has looked *so* much better.

I think a concentration on the breakout and zone entry plan has led to more people being in the right place for support (particularly the centers) has led to shorter, high-percentage passes.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Pretty crazy we won a 1-0 game in Winnipeg with Ellis, Fabbro, Sissons and Watson all out. Reminded me so much of the Trotz years.

The downside is that the Jofa line did basically nothing outside of a chance or two created by Arvy.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I find Trenin scoring 30 goals in a season highly unlikely

I wouldn't say it's likely but that's his potential in my mind. Obviously a small sample size but he's producing well with limited minutes so far and more importantly seems to have good offensive instincts.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I wouldn't say it's likely but that's his potential in my mind. Obviously a small sample size but he's producing well with limited minutes so far and more importantly seems to have good offensive instincts.

Yeah, I could see it being his ceiling. whether or not he hits his ceiling is a different thing all together.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Sunday was the first step for the Hynes coached squad to start closing the gap without losing games in hand. Tonight is the next step. A regulation win puts the Preds two points behind the Oilers with three games in hand on them. There is still time to slowly reel things in and move up the standings.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Its definitely doable, there just isn't much room for error. Definitely need to be winning against the weaker teams you are competing against for those spots.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I find Trenin scoring 30 goals in a season highly unlikely

I see him as a 15 to 20 goals a season player.

Maybe 30, if he plays on a line with a Wayne Gretzky type. I don't believe that Nashville has one of those. Josi is leading the team in points.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

Maybe 30, if he plays on a line with a Wayne Gretzky type. I don't believe that Nashville has one of those. Josi is leading the team in points.
With forwards like Forsberg, Ardvisson, Duchene and Johansen , Josi should never lead the team in points. That’s not to say he isn’t a brilliant player having a great year but all those forwards should normally have more points than him(barring injuries). It shows how he has taken the team on his shoulders singlehandedly some games. If they step it up in the standings, he should be Norris and maybe MVP(Hart?).

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

I'd say 15-20 is the reasonable expectation and then on either end of the projection is him being a flash in a pan and the other side him being a 30 goal scorer. I don't think he would need a Gretzky type linemate to make it happen. Ryan Dzingel almost broke 30 last year playing with Duchene and I don't think Dzingel is even particularly good.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Needless to say, but another HUGE game tonight for many reasons. Edmonton is a team we are trying to catch/pass- win tonight and we are only 2 points behind them with 3 games in hand.

Also, win tonight and that gives us a 3 game winning streak, something we have accomplished only one time this season. We have not won 3 in a row since late October- and that is a sad, ridiculous stat.

And with 2 very winnable games coming up against Anaheim and Buffalo, we have a real shot at a 5 game winning streak- and that is something we have not done since November 2018- yet another sad, sad stat...…….

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I just hope we can continue to hang on with the patchwork defensive pairings. Ellis and Fabbro need to get back ASAP.

By the way, I assume Ellis is dealing with a concussion or did something else happen on that hit? (If we even know)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just hope we can continue to hang on with the patchwork defensive pairings. Ellis and Fabbro need to get back ASAP.

By the way, I assume Ellis is dealing with a concussion or did something else happen on that hit? (If we even know)
Guess it could be neck related as well I would assume.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Yep- if we don't get Ellis back reasonably soon we are in deep trouble.

After Saturday we have 9 days off- next game isn't until 1/27.

I wonder if he will be ready by then?- would be the best possible scenario.....

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Re: Injuries

Seems like Ellis has the post consussion symptoms where he could be good next week or miss the whole season or even beyond and its incredibly tough to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad