Player Discussion NYR Training camp 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
im really not all that surprised the Skjei isnt as good as people thought he would be....because I dont think he was very good in any of his games up with us last year...McIlrath on the other hand, i really saw a lot of good thing...sure, the bad was there too, but you saw a ton of potential...at this point, potential is all youre looking for...with Skjei im seeing mostly a terrific skater..but i question most of the rest of his game...as far as being ready this season....he looks to have the toolset to be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman for years to come, but i dont think he was ready last year...and i dont think hes ready so far this year....also playing with Girardi hasnt helped him one iota.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
AV giving Vesey every chance to succeed with the lines for tomorrow's game.

He's definitely earned it with his 2-way play, skating, hustle, and willingness to drive the net. Vesey has jumped in to NHL play with a "head first" attitude (as opposed to Buch, who I think is dipping his toes in...checking the temperature).

IMO, Vesey will do good things with a worthwhile Center. Stepan has worked well with Kreids, so he could probably do wonders for Vesey, too.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I somewhat agree with HF's own Mike Farkas on Skjei. He has a lot of raw tools but every game his decision making and awareness get stalled like 2-3 times in the defensive zone that lead to a penalty or scoring chance. He's still young and has time to figure it out but that "glitch" is going to be the difference in him being a young journeyman a la Jon Moore, or being a 2nd pair DMan.

As for Girardi as the 7th, he's not playing tomorrow (honestly not to complain but anyone over Summers should play that guy is brutal) but the last two games he should be given a long look and if he struggles, then no reason he shouldn't start the season scratched and have to work his way into the lineup.

Dave Maloney was scratched late in his career, Greschner who was very banged up for a lot of the Herb Brooks years was scratched here and there and of course later when Roger Neilson was coach, Barry Beck under Ted Sator, Malik in his last year here, and even Richards.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Seems like Clendening and Gilmour surprise plus Skjei's struggles and McIlrath's good but not amazing camp and Holden's existence has given management fits on how to cut down the defense.

Clendening spent almost all of the last 2 seasons in the NHL, why would it be a surprise that he can keep up at this level? Everyone wrote him off as a career minor leaguer, but he played only 6 games last year and 11 games the year before that in the AHL. His last season in the AHL was at the age of 21 and he had almost a point per game as a defenseman there. Presumably he's improved since then because he's older, stronger and got the best coaching in the world for 2 years in the NHL. At worst, he's a 4A player, but he's more likely to be an NHLer on one team or another.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
im really not all that surprised the Skjei isnt as good as people thought he would be....because I dont think he was very good in any of his games up with us last year...McIlrath on the other hand, i really saw a lot of good thing...sure, the bad was there too, but you saw a ton of potential...at this point, potential is all youre looking for...with Skjei im seeing mostly a terrific skater..but i question most of the rest of his game...as far as being ready this season....he looks to have the toolset to be a solid 3rd pairing defenseman for years to come, but i dont think he was ready last year...and i dont think hes ready so far this year....also playing with Girardi hasnt helped him one iota.

That's my analysis as well. Skjei is not NHL-ready. People saw a good skater given very simple assignments and decided he can play in the NHL, which happens with a lot of guys (like Kreider when he first came up). Skjei needs to go back to the minors and adjust more before he's ready. All the predictions of him being top-4 immediate were laughable and now that's becoming obvious.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Clendening spent almost all of the last 2 seasons in the NHL, why would it be a surprise that he can keep up at this level? Everyone wrote him off as a career minor leaguer, but he played only 6 games last year and 11 games the year before that in the AHL. His last season in the AHL was at the age of 21 and he had almost a point per game as a defenseman there. Presumably he's improved since then because he's older, stronger and got the best coaching in the world for 2 years in the NHL. At worst, he's a 4A player, but he's more likely to be an NHLer on one team or another.

Hey, I'm only here to **** post and create original memes.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

but srs let's be real here. To put up the points, goals, and PMD puck moving success they did in just about every game is by definition a surprise when they're technically on pace to become Adam Clendorr and John Gilmorr. Hot damn, those are good spicy nicknames for them when they get on the score board. Like I said, original memes and **** posts.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not quite sold on Skjei not being ready to play here. His defense and play away from the puck might not be at the NHL level in some ways and to varying degrees but I think it'll benefit him more to play here and go through the process of learning how to play at the NHL level up here instead of down in Hartford. Beukeboom is here and he's familiar with both Skjei and McIlrath. I think the big club is the right place for him even if there are some bad plays on some nights. Or Hartford is right for him, close call.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So AV said they would most likely have ~8 players practicing on the next game day which means quite a few cuts. If I had to guess:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Vesey-Hayes-MZA
Miller-Stepan-Nash
Fast-Hrivik-Grabner

Gerbe-Lapierre-Jensen
Pirri-Glass

McDonagh-McIlrath
Staal-Clendening
Holden-Klein

Gilmour-Girardi
Skjei

All others cut

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I thought Jensen played well in the last game against the Devils. He and Hrivik have chemistry already from their time in the AHL. Jensen has been moved around and given lots of opportunities and I think he has slowly gotten better and better. He has good size and speed and pretty good hands. He would be a nice versatile player for this team even as a depth forward as he can fill in on the 3rd line or play on the 4th line.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He's definitely earned it with his 2-way play, skating, hustle, and willingness to drive the net. Vesey has jumped in to NHL play with a "head first" attitude (as opposed to Buch, who I think is dipping his toes in...checking the temperature).

IMO, Vesey will do good things with a worthwhile Center. Stepan has worked well with Kreids, so he could probably do wonders for Vesey, too.

I don't know. He looked quite mediocre in the 2nd game against NJ facing mostly NHLers with weak teammates.

If he looks good tonight, is that Vesey, or is that his teammates?

All of the Skjei detractors are out again. Happens all of the time. This player can't play and when they make it.....silence.

Nobody is saying he can't play. The viewpoint on Skjei that I have, is that he's just not that good yet. He wasn't as good as people tend to remember him being last season, either, and he hasn't looked good this preseason when the 3LD spot was his to lose.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for guys like Skjei or Vesey to need some Hartford time to start the year. It happens.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Is anyone noticing how much older the guys who are fighting for spots are on this team?

McIlrath - 24
Clendening - 23 (24 in a few days)
Gilmour - 23
Jensen - 23
Hrivik - 25
Skjei - 22
Vesey - 23
Buch - 21

These aren't the 19,20,21 year old kids (with the exception of Buch).

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Is anyone noticing how much older the guys who are fighting for spots are on this team?

McIlrath - 24
Gilmour - 23
Jensen - 23
Hrivik - 25
Skjei - 22
Vesey - 23
Buch - 21

I can't honestly say that I'm surprised. We've drafted a lot of long-term projects over the years, and then we went and signed other projects and UDFAs. We don't have a ton of kids, and, since we tend to draft later, they're a next batch of projects. The most promising young (and I mean <21) forwards we have, I think, are Kovacs and Gropp, and they'll both be 20 by the middle of November.

The good thing is that we are doing well enough with what we have.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

McIlrath - 24
Gilmour - 23
Jensen - 23
Hrivik - 25
Skjei - 22
Vesey - 23
Buch - 21

When most of the (actual) core of this team is under 30, I don't think this is much of an issue.

Everyone likes to talk about how the Rangers are an "older" team. Just not true. Think people still tend to think of the Rangers as the pre-lockout and early post-lockout (read: first lockout, ugh) Rangers.

Hasn't been the MO here for a while.

NHL Numbers has the Rangers avg age at ~27. Middle of the pack.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I can't honestly say that I'm surprised. We've drafted a lot of long-term projects over the years, and then we went and signed other projects and UDFAs. We don't have a ton of kids, and, since we tend to draft later, they're a next batch of projects. The most promising young (and I mean <21) forwards we have, I think, are Kovacs and Gropp, and they'll both be 20 by the middle of November.

The good thing is that we are doing well enough with what we have.

I agree, and the NCAA signings have been good. Bodie, Gilmour, Vesey, Hayes.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
2nd time they are going with Glass-Lapierre

Not sure what to think, it's Philly so maybe a good idea, yet if it turns out to be a good idea I am afraid that will be enough justification for AV to push for them to be 2/3rds of the 4th line.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Can't wait until Jooris and Gerbe are cut and Lappy and Glass are every day fourth liners on this team.

Can't
Wait.

tumblr_m934hfztvH1r1ang0o1_400.gif

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
That's my analysis as well. Skjei is not NHL-ready. People saw a good skater given very simple assignments and decided he can play in the NHL, which happens with a lot of guys (like Kreider when he first came up). Skjei needs to go back to the minors and adjust more before he's ready. All the predictions of him being top-4 immediate were laughable and now that's becoming obvious.

Agree with above. He should be serviceable on a 3rd pair already but I just don't see decision-making and reaction that warrants a bigger role YET. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent back to AHL ONLY to accommodate / protect another prospect who's not waiver protected. It would not be detrimental to his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad