Player Discussion NYR Training camp 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yespur isn't bad at dishing the puck I suppose and you can gather from that decision to put him on the PP as the forward point man that Vigneault thinks highly of his defensive abilities in the same way he puts Stepan there on the PP. Another vote of confidence from the coaches to put him on the 4th line with Grabner at this point. They had a good game last night.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
One round of cuts have been made and people are already *****ing about roster decisions that haven't even been made yet.

Never change HFNYR.

We're just wondering why the organization reached out to all these new players this off-season, just to possibly lose them to waivers. When it seems we will have the same lineup as last year, with the exception of two or three spots.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I believe that Trouba will sign a two years contract with Winnipegs and then be traded, or it will take some time until other NHL teams offer for him like (10-20) games into the season. After I listen to WTH Jets podcast 0.61 this weekend - a trade wont happen until NHL teams figure out talents and players in the pipeline beginning of this 2016-2017 season.

A very interesting debate how the whole Jacob Trouba situation in Winnipegs developed over the last months - I recommend it. ;)

http://mkpk279.podomatic.com/entry/2016-09-29T16_21_40-07_00

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Why bother . Lapierre will just get waived when Lindberg is back

Go hrvik or gerbe unless jooris is healthy

Vigneault really wants to get a 100% assessment of the options he has if and when injuries occurs. I think fans think of camp as a opening line up decision process and management treats it as a total evaluation of players within the organization and for the long haul of the season. That said, I am absolutely confident now with the fourth consecutive game for Lapierre that he is going to get offered some sort of a floor contract to go play in Hartford and be the 4th line call up if needed. I'm not sure why they think this is necessary since we have Jooris, Lindberg as the spares at this point behind the presumed 4C right now in Gerbe. Then we have Hrivik as the AHL call up. They brought in Paille last year instead of Hrivik if I remember correctly so maybe their interested in a pure 4th line PK defensive personnel. Lapierre is this year's Paille and Hrivik's chance with the club is getting dimmer imo.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I think there is a lot we don't see during the practices that goes into the decision making of the coaching staff. Allen said during the presser that some have exceeded expectations (Clendo, Gilmore) and some have not met them. Curious who those are if Buchnevich or Vesey is among them. I'd reckon Kovacs and Stromwall haven't either? They haven't been getting much of a chance during the games and now broken up between 3rd and 4th line.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I think there is a lot we don't see during the practices that goes into the decision making of the coaching staff. Allen said during the presser that some have exceeded expectations (Clendo, Gilmore) and some have not met them. Curious who those are if Buchnevich or Vesey is among them. I'd reckon Kovacs and Stromwall haven't either? They haven't been getting much of a chance during the games and now broken up between 3rd and 4th line.

Yes true, exciting time for young promising players. Robin Kovacs need some goals or assist, but I think it`s too early for him - he is only 19 though.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

AV was talking about defense when saying that some players have not met expectations. Skjei and Girardi have to be the culprits.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
AV was talking about defense when saying that some players have not met expectations. Skjei and Girardi have to be the culprits.

I was just about to post the same thing! From his other quotes, he's been pleased with Clendo and Gimore, fine with Holden, happy with Staal, and even praised McLIrath after the other night. McD hasn't been around, Klein is ye ole' reliable, and Graves is still a baby, so who else could he be tallking about?

As for Kovacs....the kid is 19! He's been fine in his one game a and had a good Traverse. His passing and offensive positioning are already up to par, he needs to get better in his own end and engage the opposition with the puck. That'll come. With Miller/Hrivik hopefully winning board battles they can feed him the puck and get him open for some chances.

Honestly the D right now (being unbiased) would look like this based on performance:

McD-Klein
Staal-Clendo
Holden-McLI

Girardi as the 7th

Skjei has not shown enough and is first callup. Graves is still a pup and has time to grow. Gilmore has been great but needs to refine his game, and Paliotta was ok but nothing special. A PP unit of Graves-Gilmore in HFD is impressive.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I have to say.. I'm very surprised/disappointed that Skjei and Graves didn't show up with a chip on their shoulder.

McIlrath needs to be given a chance even if he makes some mistakes. He's ready!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Seems like Clendening and Gilmour surprise plus Skjei's struggles and McIlrath's good but not amazing camp and Holden's existence has given management fits on how to cut down the defense.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
AV deserve an own topic soon and we haven't even started the season.
I mean what has changed since April 2016 - his defense system?
The whole evaluation process..
Hank had too many games?

Oh boy.. Anyway it`s night here. :D

Back to topic - it`s a good time for young talents in preseason - so cross fingers for some fine goals tomorrow! ;)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This pre-season has been amusing. I think Gorton/AV/etc have to have been surprised, both positively and negatively, by a lot of players and might be a bit surprised about how difficult their choices are right now.

Will be interesting to see what the cuts after the game are. I think there will be mostly obvious cuts. But I think a few of the names we see on the list will be more telling about the thinking of the coaching staff right now.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I guess Fontaine & Fogarty are still here for the camp "experience", and not to play. They will be cut w/o having played a second in the pre-season, I reckon.

This is the closest I have followed pre-season. I had not been so involved in prior years. Is it common to keep guys in camp this long with no intention of playing them?

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
I was just about to post the same thing! From his other quotes, he's been pleased with Clendo and Gimore, fine with Holden, happy with Staal, and even praised McLIrath after the other night. McD hasn't been around, Klein is ye ole' reliable, and Graves is still a baby, so who else could he be tallking about?

As for Kovacs....the kid is 19! He's been fine in his one game a and had a good Traverse. His passing and offensive positioning are already up to par, he needs to get better in his own end and engage the opposition with the puck. That'll come. With Miller/Hrivik hopefully winning board battles they can feed him the puck and get him open for some chances.

Honestly the D right now (being unbiased) would look like this based on performance:

McD-Klein
Staal-Clendo
Holden-McLI

Girardi as the 7th

Skjei has not shown enough and is first callup. Graves is still a pup and has time to grow. Gilmore has been great but needs to refine his game, and Paliotta was ok but nothing special. A PP unit of Graves-Gilmore in HFD is impressive.
Your defense prediction is spot on man. Thats exactly what it should be assuming we dont make any trades

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT

McD-Klein
Staal-Clendo
Holden-McLI

Girardi as the 7th

Girardi isn't going to be the seventh D if only because of the money he makes. I'm not saying it's right but it's reality. God we are screwed on Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad