Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Tweet Roundup on this trade:

From Lisa Dillman:
"Andersson said he was shocked by the trade. Feels like his own draft day.
He wasn't watching the draft and learned of the trade, via a call from the Kings.
He is super excited for a fresh start and can't wait to get started. Andersson also says it is a relief bc of his situation with the Rangers. "Super happy right now."
Andersson said he believes in himself and showed that he can still play his game after returning to Sweden. Said he lost his game in New York.

Lias said he heard from his dad already and Christian Ruuttu. One of his best friends is LA prospect Jacob Moverare, who was especially psyched by the trade. Andersson has never been in LA"​

From Jon Rosen
"Father, Niklas, is a European LAK scout. LA became a likely destination as he drifted apart from NYR. No surprise here.
LA was very high on him in '17. Heard his name a ton in the lead-up to the draft. Here's what Christian Ruuttu told me: "I mean, we’ve known Lias for years. He’s been going to the games with us. Actually, he’s been helpful even last year telling us a little of the personnel of...players, the Swedish players, when he was playing on the Under-18 team. We’re trying to be very … openminded, of course. Lias is a hell of a player. It was very much fun to watch his last two years, how he grew as a player, how his role in the Swedish league got bigger and bigger, and ended up winning the Swedish championship with HV71, being the second line center of the team.” End Ruuttu quote.
LA would've considered Andersson at 11, but he went 7th to NYR. By the time the 10th pick rolled around, LA was set on either Owen Tippett or Gabe Vilardi. Florida made the choice easy for them by selecting Tippett."

Some good tidbits in here.​

Last edited:

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
As someone who came to the States from Europe at 17 years old, I can tell you it’s a massive kick in the nuts culturally. Even speaking fluent English at the time.

European culture, values and pace of life is vastly different.

It will behove the Kings to have a support system in place for him.

The good news is that 7 of our 9 Swedes will be playing out of LA proper next season, so that will be something different than NY.

And our beaches are way better than that crap in NY.
I have to agree. Being from the UK we are probably as close as it gets culture wise and I’ve been to NA plenty of times, but I know I would have really struggled as an 18 year old on my own. In all truth even now I’d find it challenging and I’m now in my 40’s... The differences are quite significant although that doesn’t mean they are all bad.

Reactions: Token

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
It's important for an organization to have a support system for the younger guys, especially when they are coming to live in America from Europe.

I think the Kings had veteran players who "billeted" Kopitar in his first season, and I believe they did it with Doughty as well. At least I don't think Simmonds and Doughty became roommates until their second season with the Kings.

I wonder if the Rangers had a similar arrangement worked out for Andersson.

Didn't Doughty stay with Quick and his family?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As a Rangers fan he needed a change of scenery. Things had gotten to the point of no return. One of the issues I think is we brought him over too early. That D+1 season--he was at the draft--then at development camp, then back to Sweden, then at Traverse City, then playing for Frolunda, then the WJC, then playing for Hartford and then finishing the season with the Rangers. Too much shit.

Anyway watch his skating. That's the main thing that needed improvement and unless it has in the last year or so he's probably better off as a winger.

Very happy by the way with Will Cuylle---the guy we took at 60. He was the guy I most wanted who was still left on the board. Good luck with Lias--hope you can get him turned around.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah, i would imagine the Kings would play him at winger not center. There's simply no spot for him on the team as a center -- especially in the coming years when Byfield/Turc/etc. arrive. Now winger -- he could find a spot.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
It is weird to say, but this is my favorite thing that happened today. I think Lias could work out very well with our young centers. This has the makings of a ridiculous steal imo. He's who I am going to be watching with great interest in this year's training camp.

Unfortunately I don't think he can come to training camp since he is signed to an SHL team. He could potentially join after the SHL season is over but not any earlier.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Unfortunately I don't think he can come to training camp since he is signed to an SHL team. He could potentially join after the SHL season is over but not any earlier.

Would suck, but could be good for his development. Honestly, the more it has sunk in the more I love this move. I think he could be a Patrick O'Sullivan or better acquisition for the team.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
He was under contract to the NY Rangers. That contract has now passed to us. Not just his rights. His contract. He has played in the NHL under that contract. He has never been released from that contract. He is being loaned to the SHL team. I don't pretend to have the slightest idea about what would be best for his development. But I'm pretty certain we can call him back at any time, just like Samuel Fagemo, Carl Grundstrom, Jacob Moverare, and Johan Sodergran. Who are also on loan to European teams.

Edit:
The official announcement (from the NHL and the Rangers) doesn't specify the terms of the loan. Still, I feel pretty confident that, if we wanted him to attend camp & then return the the SHL, it wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
He was under contract to the NY Rangers. That contract has now passed to us. Not just his rights. His contract. He has played in the NHL under that contract. He has never been released from that contract. He is being loaned to the SHL team. I don't pretend to have the slightest idea about what would be best for his development. But I'm pretty certain we can call him back at any time, just like Samuel Fagemo, Carl Grundstrom, Jacob Moverare, and Johan Sodergran. Who are also on loan to European teams.

Edit:
The official announcement (from the NHL and the Rangers) doesn't specify the terms of the loan. Still, I feel pretty confident that, if we wanted him to attend camp & then return the the SHL, it wouldn't be an issue.

All those other players are playing in other leagues that allow NHL/AHL players to return to NA once the season starts. The SHL does not. That's why a bunch of Kings SHL players switched league this year. I mean I guess there could be some legal battle and maybe it could get sorted that way but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be playing in HV71 this year and won't be allowed to join camp.

In the end, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. He'll build confidence and be more mentally prepared to join the Kings next year.

Token

May 15, 2019
All those other players are playing in other leagues that allow NHL/AHL players to return to NA once the season starts. The SHL does not. That's why a bunch of Kings SHL players switched league this year. I mean I guess there could be some legal battle and maybe it could get sorted that way but I'm pretty sure he's gonna be playing in HV71 this year and won't be allowed to join camp.

In the end, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. He'll build confidence and be more mentally prepared to join the Kings next year.
It’s more complicated than that.

SHL generally views NHL contracts as superseding and allows players “leave” from their SHL contracts for call-ups to the NHL/AHL.

What they did special for this season, with all the COVID crazy, they amended their rules to protect jobs of existing SHL players and prevent an influx of NHL players.

Instead, they allowed this type of “flooding” of the market in the Allsvenskan tier-2 league.

So, there could be some technicalities around whether Andersson was already on a SHL contract when the season started (i.e. a local player holding a job) with an overriding NHL contract or if he is considered an import returning from the NHL.

First scenario is more likely as he played there last season under a loan scenario.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden

SHL generally views NHL contracts as superseding and allows players “leave” from their SHL contracts for call-ups to the NHL/AHL.

What they did special for this season, with all the COVID crazy, they amended their rules to protect jobs of existing SHL players and prevent an influx of NHL players.

Instead, they allowed this type of “flooding” of the market in the Allsvenskan tier-2 league.

So, there could be some technicalities around whether Andersson was already on a SHL contract when the season started (i.e. a local player holding a job) with an overriding NHL contract or if he is considered an import returning from the NHL.

First scenario is more likely as he played there last season under a loan scenario.

Cool, thanks for elaborating. It's an interesting scenario for sure. The GM of HV71 seemed pretty adamant that this changes nothing and that Liam would be playing for them all season. I wouldn't take his word as gospel since he clearly prefers that to be true but I would still be surprised to see Liam at camp.

Reactions: Token

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Didn't Doughty stay with Quick and his family?
Maybe, I don't remember. I do think both Kopitar and Doughty lived with veteran teammates in LA during their first seasons. Also, if I remember correctly, Doughty roomed with Sean O'Donnell on the road.

You have to set up a good environment for young guys coming over from Europe, and make them feel like part of a family. They also need the opportunity to get out and have some fun.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Token

May 15, 2019
Lias will have 6 other Swedes in LA with him this time around, including his BFF Moverare.

In his interview he said his best friend called him up right away from Finland and screamed so loud.

I think this was well thought out before they pulled the plug and I salute the Rags for doing good on the kid.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I see no issues with him playing in the SHL this season, he can have some success and come over next year once they have a better idea what they have in Vilardi, Turcotte, Thomas etc giving them a clearer picture of where Andersson might fit.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso

I think this is the reason Bjornfot is playing in the SHL right now. Something related to him already having a contract with an SHL team.

Reactions: BigBrown

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Good article about this acquisition in The Athletic by Dillman. Nice comments by Futa and Yannetti "Yannetti said the groundwork leading to the Andersson trade was “an all-inclusive effort”
“It’s not usually the case,” he said. “Usually there’s either a pro component or an amateur component, predominantly or even an analytic component, predominantly. All three were in agreement.

Why trading for Lias Andersson could be the Kings' most valuable move on draft Day 2

Reactions: Steve Zissou

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
While LA may not be the best skating forward, he really succeeds in front of the net. I watched a ton of the World Junior games when Sweden placed SILVER and he was Captain of that team. He was lights out with 6 goals in 7 games. Most of the goals came from tips directly in front of the net especially on the power play.

I think of his game as similar to Thomas Vanek that desperately needed a change of scenery if he was to have any success in the NHL at this point.

Having Moverare and Kempe already in the system will be a huge boost to this confidence.

Last edited:

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Maybe, I don't remember. I do think both Kopitar and Doughty lived with veteran teammates in LA during their first seasons. Also, if I remember correctly, Doughty roomed with Sean O'Donnell on the road.

You have to set up a good environment for young guys coming over from Europe, and make them feel like part of a family. They also need the opportunity to get out and have some fun.
Dough boy also had Smyth get on him about drinking Diet Coke.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
While LA may not be the best skating forward, he really succeeds in front of the net. I watched a ton of the World Junior games when Sweden placed SILVER and he was Captain of that team. He was lights out with 6 goals in 7 games. Most of the goals came from tips directly in front of the net especially on the power play.

I think of his game as similar to Thomas Vanek that desperately needed a change of scenery if he was to have any success in the NHL at this point.

Having Moverare and Kempe already in the system will be a huge boost to this confidence.

Recall that WJC too. What is lacking in the bottom 6 now - especially with loss of Clifford - is some snarl and physical play. Lias is the type of 3C the Kings need - skill and some good physical play and goes to the net!

Lizotte is tenacious and good on forecheck and turning pucks over, but would prefer Lias at 3C and Lizotte at 4C....I really liked Amadio, but he did not step up last year.
He has good vision and decent playmaking abilities - but is a poor skater and lacks snarl / physical play. He is great at stealing pucks - almost as good as Richards was - he really is, but it's time for an upgrade at 3C. Maybe Anderson-Dolan can be that guy, maybe Akil Thomas can - but Clifford has moved on, Lewis has moved on and time for Amadio to move on and to get some new players in the bottom 6.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
It's important for an organization to have a support system for the younger guys, especially when they are coming to live in America from Europe.

I think the Kings had veteran players who "billeted" Kopitar in his first season, and I believe they did it with Doughty as well. At least I don't think Simmonds and Doughty became roommates until their second season with the Kings.

I wonder if the Rangers had a similar arrangement worked out for Andersson.

I also remember Jack Johnson living with Blake his first season.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1