Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Great trade by Blake. It’s high end dumpster diving, but I think he grabbed a diamond in the rough. If this kid takes advantage of his opportunities, he should able to push both Amadio and Lizotte for a bottom six C spot in camp. Those guys will be lucky to score 10 goals in a season. EA is a guy who has potential for 12-18 goals a year.

Hopefully he’s grown up a bit and would handle playing in the AHL with out regressing. He is signed for one more year on his ELC and waiver exempt, so this isn’t like throwaway the pick on a guy who is a contract problem in a year. I’m not sure if he is exempt from the expansion draft, but that’s another angle to this. Nice bit of business at the end of the day.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Say what you want about the Rangers organization but this was entirely Anderssons fault. They gave him way too many chances just because the kid demanded to play in the NHL. Apparently even saw himself as a top6 Center after camp. He's dellusional. When he finally got sent to the AHL he abandons the team just like that and refuses to talk to the Rangers. If anyone ruined the kids development it was Andersson himself. And yes, his skating is bad. Probably fixable but for that to happen the player would need realize and admit it first.

Don't know where you saw that. He said he didn't have a particular problem with playing in the AHL. He said it was more about him being depressed in general. Perhaps he's spinning or lying but his side of the story is that he didn't demand to be in the NHL.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Don't know where you saw that. He said he didn't have a particular problem with playing in the AHL. He said it was more about him being depressed in general. Perhaps he's spinning or lying but his side of the story is that he didn't demand to be in the NHL.

But that’s an inconvenient narrative for wanting to hate someone.

Reactions: VILARGOD

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think this is a pretty fair trade for you guys as well as NYR. For NYR, Lias just wasn't going to work out here. The relationship was pretty much destroyed and while they did salvage it to some extent recently, it was best for both parties to move on and start fresh. To get a 2nd (even if it's a late one) for him is pretty decent value all things considering though it doesn't seem like the Rangers made the best pick with it.

For LAK, I think it's a good risk for the Kings to take on someone who I think can be a solid 3rd line center if things pan out. He's obviously further ahead in progression than someone you'd take at that point in the draft and probably has a better chance of panning out then someone taken at that point in the draft as well. He's a very emotional kid as you can tell and hopefully he's learned to harness it a bit after this whole ordeal. Something happened which we haven't gotten the full details on while he was in New York/Hartford though he also recently accepted a lot of blame as well. He said he was staying up late so he could play video games with friends back home since he was so depressed here. It also didn't help that his 1st season after being drafted he played a ton in many different locations (Sweden, WJC, Hartford, NYR). 18-19 season also saw him bounce back and forth between Hartford and NYR. 19-20 seemed to be the breaking point as he had a really good camp where he stood out and clearly earned his spot but he never got off line 4 even for 1 shift (Brendan Smith even got a turn at wing on the 3rd line). He was stuck centering Haley and Smith for the most part which is a no win situation while Brett Howden got the 3C role though many people thought Lias earned a bigger role in camp and Howden didn't deserve those minutes. To me, it was clear he wasn't a David Quinn favorite but why is a bigger question. He routinely got limited minutes in that 4th line role so who knows if maybe it was a practice thing or maybe he just never earned Quinn's trust. He was sent down shortly after the beginning of the season and went to Hartford and that's when the issues started occurring and he was home by Christmas. It should be noted though that even after his good camp, he did himself no favors with his play on line 4. So while at some point he probably should have gotten 1 shot off the line, he didn't earn it beyond his camp either. Again, don't know if it's a byproduct of who he played with, maybe being upset about the situation, or both.

He comes across as a smart/cerebral player on the ice though the biggest issue to me is his skating. I know someone above said it wasn't a strength but not an issue at the same time but I can't agree. It seemed to have a big time effect at the NHL level and was definitely a hinderance. Like I said, I think solid 3C is definitely a reasonable and attainable goal for him but not sure if there's any more upside there especially if he doesn't improve his skating.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It is weird to say, but this is my favorite thing that happened today. I think Lias could work out very well with our young centers. This has the makings of a ridiculous steal imo. He's who I am going to be watching with great interest in this year's training camp.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The main point I’m picking up in all of this is that in a couple of spots now I’ve seen the word ‘depressed’. If he was actually suffering from depression it could explain the perceived character flaw and perhaps it is now something behind him. If so a fresh start could be perfect.

Of course I’m making some assumptions about him having depression, as being depressed isn’t necessarily the same thing, but if it were the case all my concerns about this deal disappear. It’s certainly a condition you can deal with and move on from and have done so myself, so it may well now completely be a none issue. Having his dad on the payroll certainly helps significantly.

Either way it is a low risk, high reward move so I’m pretty happy with it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I think this is a pretty fair trade for you guys as well as NYR. For NYR, Lias just wasn't going to work out here. The relationship was pretty much destroyed and while they did salvage it to some extent recently, it was best for both parties to move on and start fresh. To get a 2nd (even if it's a late one) for him is pretty decent value all things considering though it doesn't seem like the Rangers made the best pick with it.

For LAK, I think it's a good risk for the Kings to take on someone who I think can be a solid 3rd line center if things pan out. He's obviously further ahead in progression than someone you'd take at that point in the draft and probably has a better chance of panning out then someone taken at that point in the draft as well. He's a very emotional kid as you can tell and hopefully he's learned to harness it a bit after this whole ordeal. Something happened which we haven't gotten the full details on while he was in New York/Hartford though he also recently accepted a lot of blame as well. He said he was staying up late so he could play video games with friends back home since he was so depressed here. It also didn't help that his 1st season after being drafted he played a ton in many different locations (Sweden, WJC, Hartford, NYR). 18-19 season also saw him bounce back and forth between Hartford and NYR. 19-20 seemed to be the breaking point as he had a really good camp where he stood out and clearly earned his spot but he never got off line 4 even for 1 shift (Brendan Smith even got a turn at wing on the 3rd line). He was stuck centering Haley and Smith for the most part which is a no win situation while Brett Howden got the 3C role though many people thought Lias earned a bigger role in camp and Howden didn't deserve those minutes. To me, it was clear he wasn't a David Quinn favorite but why is a bigger question. He routinely got limited minutes in that 4th line role so who knows if maybe it was a practice thing or maybe he just never earned Quinn's trust. He was sent down shortly after the beginning of the season and went to Hartford and that's when the issues started occurring and he was home by Christmas. It should be noted though that even after his good camp, he did himself no favors with his play on line 4. So while at some point he probably should have gotten 1 shot off the line, he didn't earn it beyond his camp either. Again, don't know if it's a byproduct of who he played with, maybe being upset about the situation, or both.

He comes across as a smart/cerebral player on the ice though the biggest issue to me is his skating. I know someone above said it wasn't a strength but not an issue at the same time but I can't agree. It seemed to have a big time effect at the NHL level and was definitely a hinderance. Like I said, I think solid 3C is definitely a reasonable and attainable goal for him but not sure if there's any more upside there especially if he doesn't improve his skating.
This was an awesome summation.

Thank you

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The main point I’m picking up in all of this is that in a couple of spots now I’ve seen the word ‘depressed’. If he was actually suffering from depression it could explain the perceived character flaw and perhaps it is now something behind him. If so a fresh start could be perfect.

Of course I’m making some assumptions about him having depression, as being depressed isn’t necessarily the same thing, but if it were the case all my concerns about this deal disappear. It’s certainly a condition you can deal with and move on from and have done so myself, so it may well now completely be a none issue. Having his dad on the payroll certainly helps significantly.

Either way it is a low risk, high reward move so I’m pretty happy with it.
There was an interview in Sweden. He talked about not sleeping and being on the phone with friends and family all night. Some people say he was onlining gaming with friends back home all night. He says things were actually worse in NY than in HFD but neither were necessarily about the org, just his state of mind: struggling, having a foot problem, just not being in a good mental or emotional place. He also says he could've handled things better.

He didn't handle things well, no doubt. But again look at Kravstov and what he says about HFD. A lot of these Euros come over and get stuck in the minors without much support. Maybe it's better to let them play in Europe for an extra couple of years and come over when they are ready. The Habs recently talked about how they messed up a couple of guys by bringing them over for camp, cutting them and then when they got back to Europe their season was already well underway and the coaches there already had their lineups set.

It's not about coddling or anything, it's about acting in your own best interest and sometimes that means helping a kid who needs help.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I trust the Kings here. Been on their radar since the draft. Small price to pay for a guy that could turn it around. Welcome to LA Lias.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
I completely forgot that we have to deal with listening to Alex Faust, i've grown really really tired of him.
Yes these young polished play by play guys coming up are like robots. Alex Faust and Joe Davis are like twins. But I guess when you replace Bob and Vin its a losing battle.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That is not what the information was back then. I'm not a Rangers fan and couldn't tell you where I got it from but from what I recall he demanded the 2nd line Center job after a rough camp. That was way before he got sent to the AHL or left the team. They kept him up in the NHL despite playing poorly and when he got scratched and eventually demoted he played even worse. His AHL numbers were bad and he clearly had attitude problems. He was dellusional, at least back then. He saw himself as a complete players and wasn't able to understand the need to work on his weaknesses. If the Rangers did something wrong, it was probably keeping him up for way too long.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yes these young polished play by play guys coming up are like robots. Alex Faust and Joe Davis are like twins. But I guess when you replace Bob and Vin its a losing battle.

At one point in time, Los Angeles sports were called by Chick Hearn, Vin Scully, and Bob Miller. Three of the very best.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Seriously, imagine getting the 7th overall for a late second and he pans out. It would be some nice luck for us after NYR jumped ahead of us in the draft
I’d have taken Byfield at #1 anyway (and said so weeks ago btw), so I was fine with someone being ahead of us :naughty::thumbu:.

Reactions: dick341 and Lt Dan

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
Make him room with somebody like Kopitar or Brown, even if they put him in AHL team. Someone to make sure he doesn’t party/play games all night. Someone with a spouse who might pay more attention to depression issues.
Just a thought
Not all 20 year olds are ready to be adults

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

His camp wasn't very good though and Howden was just a much more complete player back then and still is now. Andersson was never good enough to play in the NHL but wasn't ready to acknoledge it. Rangers kept him up for way too long and when they finally sent him to Hartford Andersson decided to be pissed and half ass it instead of working on his weaknesses. Eventually even left the team. As if that wasn't enough he even refused to talk for days.

I hope that he learned from his mistakes and everybody deserves a 2nd chance but he better not blame the Rangers for what happened.

Jets fan here.

I would easily send a 3rd rounder for a player previously selected 7th overall who still has time to grow. 3rd rounders don't exactly have a high chance of making it to the NHL, and for me it is worth the risk to possibly be rewarded with a very talented player.

I think at this point it's a gamble for either team. The Kings realistically have a shorter shelf life with opportunity given the guys age. I've learned to not put too much stock into draft position. I also don't follow prospects so I have no insight on either player. Although statistically you are likely to get a better player the higher they are drafted, there are no guarnatees. The Kings have also done pretty well in the 2nd to 4th rounds over the past 10 years from my recollection. Again, i could be wrong with that and it's still purely anecdotal.

I don't know much about this kid other than the incident where he threw his silver medal into the stands in anger or frustration. I had mixed feelings about that. It seems like a poor sport / grandstanding action but i can also respect the disappointment, competiveness and the fact that he cared that much. I'd like to chalk that up to a kid that needs to get his ass kicked (literally or figuratively) to know where he stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad