Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well, it all started when, on live television, he took his silver medal he had just been awarded as team captain at the WJC and indiscriminately tossed it over the boards and into the stands.

Then it continued with his general performance on the Rangers, and the fact he basically quit the team in the minors and asked the Rangers to go back home to Sweden.

It then came out that he was depressed (or if you don't like that word, pick your own synonym), using sleeping pills, and basically not mentally functioning, all of which he discussed publicly in Sweden. Link.

As Kings fans, we certainly hope he'll eventually come back over to the NHL at 100% and be ready to succeed, but the kid has demonstrated a real pattern of emotional difficulties. We'll see what happens.

That video cut out just when it was about to get good. Ferraro was gearing up to lose his shit.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
all of that sounds like an 18-19 year old who was moved to a foreign country and expected to assimilate immediately. Aside from the medal tossing which was just immaturity, nothing sounds overly worrying.
I’d put a serious bet on 90% of those medals being binned. Personally I think giving it to the fans was fine.

Token

May 15, 2019
Or, they could have gotten that from his own Dad, you know, a Kings employee, who said that he needed to step away from the game for a bit to get his mental health in order at home.

But this board has members who inexplicably choose every opportunity to rip on fans of other teams who dare express an opinion that isn't in line with something they barely even know.
WTF? How do Rags fans benefit from his dad working for the Kings? What deep insight did they get from that.

We don’t get any insight either from his dad and we all Kings fans.

You talking rectal-cranial inversion again.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's extra about the footage whether you like it or not is he doesn't even want the official to hang it around his neck :laugh: He just holds out his hand like he's receiving candy because he knows he's gonna chuck it

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What's extra about the footage whether you like it or not is he doesn't even want the official to hang it around his neck :laugh: He just holds out his hand like he's receiving candy because he knows he's gonna chuck it
yeah i didn't really appreciate the presenter guy being snappy about it to him, telling them to take off their helmets and then refusing to just hand it to him. like cmon man, no one's here to see the medal presenters, give it to the kid and move on.. lots of other players look like they took it off immediately too

i'm not gonna claim to know much about the kid and honestly i forgot about the whole silver medal drama, but hopefully being around moverare and his dad gives him a little impetus to put it together. i do feel he was put in a kinda shit position in NY so i'm not hurt over winging a 3rd rounder for his potential bounce back.. you do generally go 7oa for a reason

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Wow. Had no idea Lias Andersson had this much talent.
Geez oh man. Check out the WJC and SHL highlights.
Goes to net strong....great hands. Great finish. Like
Elite level finish. Of course, he was not ready to be 2C at 18 on the
Rags...he needed another yr in SHL. Plus, he was not ready to be in USA
At 18. He turned 22 this week. Seems to have matured and back on his
Game in SHL.

Andersson > Amadio, Lizotte, Carter (2020 version) Grundstrom, JAD, Wagner, Luff, Moore.

He’s pumped and 100% dialed in now...motivated. For 60th overall 2020?
The deflection at 1:37 is filthy ill. That’s a tough angle and near impossible to Get get that result.

Pair him up with Vilardi and Kempe and let them run wild. That would be one hell of an eventual third line.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Byfield - Madden
Kempe - Vilardi - Andersson

Reactions: Schrute farms

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What we won't know for a while is if the Kings are going to honor the Rangers agreement with HV71, that Andersson would play the entire season in the SHL this year. Hoven hinted that this was in the cards, but left the door open a bit. I think we'd all like him to play here this year, but it could be important for him to get his confidence back and excel on the first line on his team.

"While anything could change once there is a more clear path to an NHL start date, the original plan called for him to remain in Sweden when he was assigned there by the New York Rangers. It’s believed the Kings will follow a similar course and look to bring him over next summer. Only time will tell."

Reactions: tny760

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I kinda like the incident where he tosses the silver medal over the boards. No doubt it is immature, and I do not condone that practice, but it shows something else about his character--he really cares about winning. Sort of like Doughty going crazy when things go wrong and we rag on him for that, but we also value how competitive Doughty is. I would rather have an immature sore loser who cares about winning, than some passive player going through the motions just to get a paycheck.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I kinda like the incident where he tosses the silver medal over the boards. No doubt it is immature, and I do not condone that practice, but it shows something else about his character--he really cares about winning. Sort of like Doughty going crazy when things go wrong and we rag on him for that, but we also value how competitive Doughty is. I would rather have an immature sore loser who cares about winning, than some passive player going through the motions just to get a paycheck.

It’s definitely immaturity, but it also means there’s room for growth. If he did that at the World Championships or the Olympics at 25, I might be more concerned. At 18, it’s a teaching moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I stress again that he was the "C" of that team, as well. I don't know how this guy would keep getting letters if he were truly just a loose-screw prick like Sean Avery, which is what he's being made out to be.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I stress again that he was the "C" of that team, as well. I don't know how this guy would keep getting letters if he were truly just a loose-screw prick like Sean Avery, which is what he's being made out to be.
can't help but feel like an actual bad person would've tossed it and stood there defiantly or anger would've come out, but he was bawling his eyes out through multiple coaches consoling him.. kid really, really wanted to win and he was hurt. i can't hold it against him

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
As much as i'd like to see new, young talent on this Kings team as soon as possible -- I think it's best for the kid to stay the entire season at SHL and get everything 100% straight with himself/head, his confidence, maturity, game, etc. Then ready to freaking roll the following season in LA with Kempe and possibly some other fellow swedes on the Kings. Even if some of those fellow swedes are playing in Ontario, it's close enough to live together and/or hang out a lot of the time (in case he has lingering depression-type issues...although hopefully that is a thing of the past and simply a teenager thingy).

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Makes me really want to like the guy, specially with being so open about his mental health problems. I hope this turns out good for the kings but even better for him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Remember in the playoffs one year when prongers philli team lost, and a young kid had scored the winning goal, and the team came to get the puck for the kid, and pronger flipped the puck over the boards like "naaaa"

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Remember in the playoffs one year when prongers philli team lost, and a young kid had scored the winning goal, and the team came to get the puck for the kid, and pronger flipped the puck over the boards like "naaaa"

Pronger was a dick like that. A long time ago my team was skating at the pond following a Ducks game and we didn't wrap up until like midnight. We were standing out in the lot BS'ing and there was a couple families with 2 or 3 kids each still milling around by the double doors that led down to the rooms. A big black Escalade or something like pulls up and stops in the red zone right where the parking gate is for the main lot, and Pronger comes right out of the doors. Kids that had waited for 2 hours were asking him for his autograph and he didn't even glance at them, not breaking eye contact with the car and hopping in. Not even a word or an acknowledgement.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Makes me really want to like the guy, specially with being so open about his mental health problems. I hope this turns out good for the kings but even better for him.
Being open about it is a great sign for me, if he’s talking about it then he’s moved into a much better place. Depression is deadly when bottled up and buried and as a young 18 year old I’d put money on it that’s what he was doing whilst almost certainly not realising he was actually depressed.

I can only speak from my own experience. I had a lot of shit going on in my life and at one point was probably a few hrs away from ending it. I mean that literally and I’m not being melodramatic. I hung in there for my kids and then my doctor realised where I was at and got me the help I needed. I used medication but the most effective thing was talking about it and surrounding myself with the right people (incl. binning my ex) and I haven’t looked back. Mentally I’m probably better than I’ve ever been despite a lot of the life shit still being there and whilst I now know what the warning signs are there’s no hint of depression in me.

I’m not looking for any ‘well done’ comments or any of that crap. The point I’m making is that just because he was depressed it doesn’t mean a) he still is b) it will come back or c) it makes him weak or anything. The last point is a good one as one of the groups at high risk of getting it are strong people that battle on through issues, act all stoic and don’t share their issues with anyone. That was my biggest problem, I spoke to no one about any of my troubles and always said I was fine. Now, I talk to anyone that will listen and bore the hell out of them but I feel great! See I’m even sharing with you clowns... :laugh:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I remember an American team refusing to accept their silver medals. Of course they did get totally hosed by the officiating in the game against the USSR.

The problem with the 1972 American team was it was coached by the ancient Hank Iba (68 years old). Iba took a team of players which didn't have the likes of NBA 1st round draft picks Bob McAdoo, Paul Westphal, and Julius Erving. You have to remember in 1972 a man of 68 was a bit past retirement age.

The 1972 American team didn't attend the medal ceremony.

In 1976 a 45-year old Dean Smith takes four of his own North Carolina players (including Walt Davis, Mitch Kupchak, and Phil Ford) along with 1st round NBA draft picks Scott May, Adrian Dantley, and Quinn Buckner to the Olympic games. They destroy every team they face other than Puerto Rico winning that one 95-94.

In 1980 the American team would again leave no doubt as a 40-year old Bobby Knight would take a team which included Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan, and Chris Mullin and destroyed almost every team they played by 30 points. The closest game was against East Germany, a 78-67 win.

In 1988 the American team won the bronze medal losing again to the USSR, and in 1992 the Dream Team was born.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad