Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
He'll be a good middle line player for you who will pot some goals and maybe be an assistant captain. He can be a winger or a center. He's got heart but he's very impatient and immature. He didnt make the team last year and went home crying. Then he said there was hazing in the clubhouse and all this stuff about feeling lonely and being depressed. By a lot of accounts he's kind of an asshole. He's the kid who threw his olympic silver medal away. Some see that as great some don't. The trade will energize him. But he's a good player and played well in Sweden. He was just never the 7th overall pick. He's not that kind of player.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
He'll be a good middle line player for you who will pot some goals and maybe be an assistant captain. He can be a winger or a center. He's got heart but he's very impatient and immature. He didnt make the team last year and went home crying. Then he said there was hazing in the clubhouse and all this stuff about feeling lonely and being depressed. By a lot of accounts he's kind of an asshole. He's the kid who threw his olympic silver medal away. Some see that as great some don't. The trade will energize him. But he's a good player and played well in Sweden. He was just never the 7th overall pick. He's not that kind of player.

Thanks for the analysis. Sounds like he needs to grow up and lose a bit of the snowflakeitis.

Reactions: RocketKing

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is a 22 year old kid who hasn't grown up mentally yet. That can be fixed a lot of times. It isn't like he is 26 and hasn't even begun to see the light. We gave up a low 2nd to get him. Hardly much of a risk. Maybe in a new market without the NY spotlight on him for being such a high pick will help him. When you are a #7 overall pick in NY, you are expected to be a God and anything less makes you a pile of trash. I am not saying that high expectations aren't warranted but LA has less of a heat lamp on players and they are rebuilding so maybe he will be able to relax and restart his career here.

If not, then not much was lost in taking the shot.

A really good point too, he was drafted pretty early in NYR's rebuild and asked to be a savior. Here he's barely on the totem pole at all. No bright lights, can just focus on himself with the support of his dad and a great development squad. If it doesn't work, oh well. Better value at 60 than at 7. And he's about the break-in age so he'll be competing for a bottom-six job at camp instead of being asked to be a top-six hero.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I mean, we will have some crazy centermen dishing out some insane passes for years to come... Maybe this kid can find success with one of them...

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, we will have some crazy centermen dishing out some insane passes for years to come... Maybe this kid can find success with one of them...

After entry he spent most of that shift within 5 feet of the net, I'm good with that

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I mean this is a low risk trade. I remember him throwing his medal into the crowd at WJC and to me its just that he's hyper competitive, but maybe needed some time to grow up a little bit and probably needs to harness whatever frustration he may have and turn it around into a positive.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean this is a low risk trade. I remember him throwing his medal into the crowd at WJC and to me its just that he's hyper competitive, but maybe needed some time to grow up a little bit and probably needs to harness whatever frustration he may have and turn it around into a positive.

Was it Futa or Yanetti? One of them was talking about taking a chip on your shoulder and turning it into a positive instead of a poison.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Love the trade. The chances of pick #60, playing in LA in 3-4 years or ever making it....are not fabulous. The chance of this kid putting it together and becoming a very good 3rd line center by just a year from now - look very good. Has the skills and tenacity, to still put it together. At #7, you're pegged to be a top 6 NHL performer...now, (would surmise) he's being asked to be a good, impactful, 3rd line center.

I am sure his dad is giving them reassurances and obviously asked Lias if he would like to come to LA for a fresh start.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Was it Futa or Yanetti? One of them was talking about taking a chip on your shoulder and turning it into a positive instead of a poison.

That was Yanetti and that's what I'm talking about. He was mostly referring to guys like Kozun or Dudas who were always looked down upon (literally) because of their size. This is a different case though where a guy might be too competitive and gets upset when things don't go his way. He might need to see a sports psychologist if he doesn't improve on his own

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Swedish invasion in the last 400 days - go 500 days back and add Grundstrom too.

Bjornfot
Fagemo
Andre Lee
Grans
Lias Andersson
Must be something about crowns/kronor.
png-coat-of-arms-of-sweden-three-crowns-swedish-nation-6882536

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Good down low on deflections, rebounds and scoring dirty goals. Critics (angry NYR fans whose team bungled his devleopment) will say "Can't skate". It's not a strength but it's not that bad really. Good head, good effort, scores garbage goals around the net and is decent on faceoffs.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I hate this trade if it’s true he left because he didn’t get his way. That is tough to coach out of someone...

It is true. He felt that he belonged when in fact he was far off. When he got assigned to the AHL he just left the team and first even refused to talk to the organization. His skating is concerning, too. Really bad. When he threw his medals over the glass I was laughing. Didn't think of anything bad. But now I think there are probably some issues the Rangers missed when drafting him.

Despite everything, probably worth a 2nd round pick. Maybe he'll eventually grow up, realize he made mistakes and try to make the best of his opportunity with the Kings.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Good down low on deflections, rebounds and scoring dirty goals. Critics (angry NYR fans whose team bungled his devleopment) will say "Can't skate". It's not a strength but it's not that bad really. Good head, good effort, scores garbage goals around the net and is decent on faceoffs.

Say what you want about the Rangers organization but this was entirely Anderssons fault. They gave him way too many chances just because the kid demanded to play in the NHL. Apparently even saw himself as a top6 Center after camp. He's dellusional. When he finally got sent to the AHL he abandons the team just like that and refuses to talk to the Rangers. If anyone ruined the kids development it was Andersson himself. And yes, his skating is bad. Probably fixable but for that to happen the player would need realize and admit it first.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I don't blame the Rangers for trading him away, but I'm also definitely willing to give Andersson a second chance and a fresh start with the Kings. The worst case scenario is that he never plays a game with the Kings, and there are lots of Kings draft picks that haven't panned out. In fact, the last time the Kings picked a guy at 60th overall, he didn't make the NHL (Alex Lintuniemi). Valentin Zykov, Christopher Gibbson, Oscar Moller, and even some of our first round picks.

Sometimes a fresh start is needed. All we can hope for is that Lias tries his hardest, has learned some tough lessons, and goes on to be a productive NHL player. The Kings aren't expecting that a late second round pick is going to be a top line winger, but if he can produce on the second or third line or carve out some other kind of role, that would be awesome.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Anderson plays the puck up the wall to Andersson, centers to Anderson-Dolan, back to Anderson at the point, shot! Tipped in front by Andersson, REBOUND! ANDERSON-DOLAN!

DAGGER!

- Alex Faust, 2021

Need to add Andre Lee. To Lias Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad