Confirmed with Link: [NYR/LA] Lias Andersson for 60th overall 2020

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Recall that WJC too. What is lacking in the bottom 6 now - especially with loss of Clifford - is some snarl and physical play. Lias is the type of 3C the Kings need - skill and some good physical play and goes to the net!

Lizotte is tenacious and good on forecheck and turning pucks over, but would prefer Lias at 3C and Lizotte at 4C....I really liked Amadio, but he did not step up last year.
He has good vision and decent playmaking abilities - but is a poor skater and lacks snarl / physical play. He is great at stealing pucks - almost as good as Richards was - he really is, but it's time for an upgrade at 3C. Maybe Anderson-Dolan can be that guy, maybe Akil Thomas can - but Clifford has moved on, Lewis has moved on and time for Amadio to move on and to get some new players in the bottom 6.

Concur. We need more new, fresh blood. I def. don't mind trying Lias centering the third line.

For whatever reason, I envision Turcotte grabbing that spot next year rather than easing him into the league as a winger.

Reactions: Nickster

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Would suck, but could be good for his development. Honestly, the more it has sunk in the more I love this move. I think he could be a Patrick O'Sullivan or better acquisition for the team.

As long as we're not the Oilers!!! ;)

Reactions: Telos

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
It’s more complicated than that.

SHL generally views NHL contracts as superseding and allows players “leave” from their SHL contracts for call-ups to the NHL/AHL.

What they did special for this season, with all the COVID crazy, they amended their rules to protect jobs of existing SHL players and prevent an influx of NHL players.

Instead, they allowed this type of “flooding” of the market in the Allsvenskan tier-2 league.

So, there could be some technicalities around whether Andersson was already on a SHL contract when the season started (i.e. a local player holding a job) with an overriding NHL contract or if he is considered an import returning from the NHL.

First scenario is more likely as he played there last season under a loan scenario.
The SHL does not allow short-term contracts (other than when you have an important player injured for a couple of months). But they have allowed players who had a SHL contract for the 20/21 season to come back from their "leave" until the NHL starts their training camps.

Lias hasn't had a SHL contract since 18/19. So for him to be loaned to the SHL the agreement between the SHL club and NHL club had to be that he was supposed to play in the SHL the whole season. Otherwise the SHL wouldn't have allowed it.

However, Lias himself is a case that should prove that the Kings should be able to recall him when they want, since the only contract he has is with them and not with HV71. In 17/18 the Rangers recalled him after the JWC. I believe Toronto did the same with Nylander.

Gubbhornet

Dec 5, 2019
Hopefully Adrian can be a bit of an older brother for him and helps him understand what it takes to take a jersey.

Reactions: kilowatt

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Wow. Had no idea Lias Andersson had this much talent.
Geez oh man. Check out the WJC and SHL highlights.
Goes to net strong....great hands. Great finish. Like
Elite level finish. Of course, he was not ready to be 2C at 18 on the
Rags...he needed another yr in SHL. Plus, he was not ready to be in USA
At 18. He turned 22 this week. Seems to have matured and back on his
Game in SHL.

Andersson > Amadio, Lizotte, Carter (2020 version) Grundstrom, JAD, Wagner, Luff, Moore.

He’s pumped and 100% dialed in now...motivated. For 60th overall 2020?
The deflection at 1:37 is filthy ill. That’s a tough angle and near impossible to Get get that result.

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
@Peter James Bond III Lias also got a ton of defensive starts in his own zone. Seems like he was almost regulated on the Rags as more of a shutdown center, which is the opposite of how he should be used. His +/- also hasn’t ever been that great in his career, so besides rushing him into the NHL rather than letting him develop and work on the areas of his game (esp skating) that needed work, it’s not hard to see why things went the way they did.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Seems like he was almost regulated on the Rags as more of a shutdown center, which is the opposite of how he should be used.

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I think he should be one of the guys who gets converted to winger. With Byfield, Vilardi, & Turcotte as the centers, I don't see a need for another top center. I'm thinking Andersson, Kupari, & Madden all become converted to the wing. LoL, I'm not saying those guys should stop practicing their faceoff skills, but I am saying they need to learn how to accept feeds from the 3 main guys.....

Andersson / Byfield / Kaliyev
Kupari / Vilardi / Fagemo
Grundstrom / Turcotte / Madden

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I liked all the picks that the Kings made this year, but this trade is what made the draft a huge win in my opinion. Obviously, the Byfield pick was huge, but expected. To pick up another first-round talent who is NHL-ready is absolutely genius. If the Kings can help him screw his head on straight, he has a chance to succeed Dustin Brown as the power forward winger. I too think Andersson would fit better as a future winger, hopefully a middle six stud.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I dunno. Call me crazy, but I think he should be one of the guys who gets converted to winger. With Byfield, Vilardi, & Turcotte as the centers, I don't see a need for another top center. I'm thinking Andersson, Kupari, & Madden all become converted to the wing. LoL, I'm not saying those guys should stop practicing their faceoff skills, but I am saying they need to learn how to accept feeds from the 3 main guys.....

Andersson / Byfield / Kaliyev
Kupari / Vilardi / Fagemo
Grundstrom / Turcotte / Madden
He does also play W already, so it’s not a major conversion as he’s familiar with the position but I agree that it’s likely where he ends up.

The highlights are great and show there is definitely something to work with there, there is certainly some decent upside. Whilst his skating isn’t a strength it doesn’t look like an issue to me. Sure, it does not look pretty but he doesn’t seem slow and it doesn’t seem to get in his way when working around the net.

I can certainly see a left side with some combination of Andersson, Kempe, Turcotte, Iafallo and Grundstrom.... but someone gets moved for sure.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I have faith the Kings will get his skating in order. Listen to the Mayor's Manor podcast where Hoven and Dennis Bernstein talk to Yannetti. They go into scouting skating and how the Kings fixed Toffoli's and Pearson's skating technique.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I keep seeing Rags fans saying he has mental health issues. Where are they getting that from?

I think they are mistaking "mental health issues" for immaturity, he wanted top 6 minutes in the NHL, didn't get it, in fact, was sent to Hartford and didn't exactly dominate.

I'll take my chances, let him finish this year in the SHL, and bring him over in 2021.

Reactions: Reaper45

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think they are mistaking "mental health issues" for immaturity, he wanted top 6 minutes in the NHL, didn't get it, in fact, was sent to Hartford and didn't exactly dominate.

I'll take my chances, let him finish this year in the SHL, and bring him over in 2021.
In one of the interviews I think with his dad, he talked about being depressed so that’s what they are referring to. From what I gather it’s behind him.

Token

May 15, 2019
I keep seeing Rags fans saying he has mental health issues. Where are they getting that from?
They get it from being Americans.

the kid said he was missing his friends and family, stayed up late at night talking to them and felt depressed.

Us Americans, we love to stigmatize anything mental health related so the whole process started there and he somehow became a lune.

Many European cultures have broken through the stigma surrounding mental health so folks are comfortable talking about it.

That’s it. Kid was 18, flying around the world, dumped in NY, was lonely and missing his family and friends. It happens.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California

Well, it all started when, on live television, he took his silver medal he had just been awarded as team captain at the WJC and indiscriminately tossed it over the boards and into the stands.

Then it continued with his general performance on the Rangers, and the fact he basically quit the team in the minors and asked the Rangers to go back home to Sweden.

It then came out that he was depressed (or if you don't like that word, pick your own synonym), using sleeping pills, and basically not mentally functioning, all of which he discussed publicly in Sweden. Link.

As Kings fans, we certainly hope he'll eventually come back over to the NHL at 100% and be ready to succeed, but the kid has demonstrated a real pattern of emotional difficulties. We'll see what happens.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

In one of the interviews I think with his dad, he talked about being depressed so that’s what they are referring to. From what I gather it’s behind him.

the kid said he was missing his friends and family, stayed up late at night talking to them and felt depressed.

Us Americans, we love to stigmatize anything mental health related so the whole process started there and he somehow became a lune.

Many European cultures have broken through the stigma surrounding mental health so folks are comfortable talking about it.

That’s it. Kid was 18, flying around the world, dumped in NY, was lonely and missing his family and friends. It happens.

Well, it all started when, on live television, he took his silver medal he had just been awarded as team captain at the WJC and indiscriminately tossed it over the boards and into the stands.

Then it continued with his general performance on the Rangers, and the fact he basically quit the team in the minors and asked the Rangers to go back home to Sweden.

It then came out that he was depressed (or if you don't like that word, pick your own synonym), using sleeping pills, and basically not mentally functioning, all of which he discussed publicly in Sweden. Link.

As Kings fans, we certainly hope he'll eventually come back over to the NHL at 100% and be ready to succeed, but the kid has demonstrated a real pattern of emotional difficulties. We'll see what happens.
all of that sounds like an 18-19 year old who was moved to a foreign country and expected to assimilate immediately. Aside from the medal tossing which was just immaturity, nothing sounds overly worrying.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
all of that sounds like an 18-19 year old who was moved to a foreign country and expected to assimilate immediately. Aside from the medal tossing which was just immaturity, nothing sounds overly worrying.

Like I said earlier/elsewhere, there was also Andersson hinting the Rangers were hazing him/treating him like shit (which isn't real surprising on a team with a headcase like ADA), so if he was feeling unwelcome on top of everything else, it's no surprise. But more importantly, HERE we have a large European contingent featuring his dad and several former teammates on top of the Brantt Mhyres support system. If he's going to put it together, it's going to be here.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The kid has admitted to having some mental health issues. If the Kings took him 7th OA and all of this stuff happened, half this board would be treating him like the Ranger fans are.

Shit...Toffoli was a great draft pick and helped this team win a Cup and he was constantly given shit on here. If this Andersson thing happened here, we'd run him out of town on a rail while calling him all sorts of names.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Or, they could have gotten that from his own Dad, you know, a Kings employee, who said that he needed to step away from the game for a bit to get his mental health in order at home.

But this board has members who inexplicably choose every opportunity to rip on fans of other teams who dare express an opinion that isn't in line with something they barely even know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad