Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
You don’t understand how economics in sports work.

Is Derek Carr or Matt Stafford the best QB in the NFL?

Yeah, there's a whole lot of that going on here and with every big signing. I'd go so far as to say it's a misunderstanding of economics, period. So many variables come into play when trying to "compare" deals that it's rarely possible to actually do so. It'd require a direct comparison between two players in near identical situations signing with teams in very similar situations to even begin laying that groundwork, and that's still a shaky foundation to build any rational argument on.

There's a lot of opinion over fact, as is par for the course, but there are so many measurable quantities we can point to as well. I refrain from doing so because it just leads to bickering with endless back and forth debates that largely ignore how different almost every situation is. There are, of course, outliers. There are genuinely and largely accepted bad contracts that were fairly obvious from the day they were given out (and even then, it still sometimes makes sense for the team doing so at the time in shorter term), and then there are the opposite, steals of deals. And of course big contracts will almost always be directly compared to those fantastic deals disregarding every other metric. Because it makes people feel tingly inside to have a negative hot-take, particularly when it matches their feelings for said team. It's actively wanting the team to fail and wanting the contract to be bad down the line in most cases. I won't lie, I've wished similar on rivals, but I always look at it logically and more often than not no matter how much I'd want to mock it, I can see the reasoning and rationale.

Saying "he's the 5th highest paid D-man but not nearly the 5th best D-man" is absolutely, 100% correct and anyone with any knowledge of the game will agree on that. But it's simply flawed logic (at best) to take that at face value when evaluating this (and most) contracts signed, especially ones signed now vs. years ago. I mean, I could lay out all the reasons why and I'm sure you could too, but it's a losing battle. I'm just happy seeing other people who do understand how it works even when they're supposed to be my mortal enemy =)

At some point I just shrug and let it go. All teams have their warts and their gems. And many posters are much happier to jump on the wart train be it through bias, jealousy, or a relative chip on their shoulder (with a smattering of people who are neutral and have genuine belief/concerns thrown in) than they are to jump on the gem train. Clearly I don't think this is a wart for us, but we definitely have a few and I'll gladly admit that. I know what mistakes we've made in the past and as of now I don't think we've made any in a while other than Shattenkirk and getting a bit too little for Zucc (those conditionals were great, but ended up hurting!) and our big trade with Tampa. We're not perfect and I'm sure we'll make more mistakes in the future and have to suffer through them down the line. But this isn't one that is of any concern to me. This is something we needed to do, one way or another, and this is how it landed. I'm good with it. Whether I will be in 2, 3, 5 years? I have no idea. No one can know those things except for the really obvious horrible contracts. This isn't one. It may become one, sure. Hopefully it doesn't, and I don't think it will (other than injury risk) so I'm happy that we did what was needed.

I think Hayes' deal is an overpay that can potentially hurt sooner than later, but I also understand why it happened and how it makes sense in the moment and the shorter term and so I don't knock it.

It is what it is. You have hockey fans who love the sport and cheer for a specific team but follow the business side of things (even with rivals) and the evolution of the game. Then you have fans of a team who stop there but still love to be vocal and stir it up for the sake of it without understanding much. I live it everyday in person living in Montreal, and anytime I go back and visit friends and family in NY and NJ. You can quickly tell which group someone belongs to in a 5 minute conversation. What's harder to figure out, and control, is when you stop paying attention and arguing.

Anyway, another long-winded post from me. I'm sure it's a TL;DR for most, particularly the latter group. Cheers One Winged Angel, see you on the ice! =)

edit: To be clear, I'd love Hayes back with us for this build since we really do need that #2C who's proven capable in all situations like he is. We couldn't have done $7M if we wanted to, and since we're rebuilding the hope is that eventually we'll develop a #2C (or be forced to acquire one somehow when a lot of cap comes off the books in 2 seasons) so he'd have been a bit wasted with us during his prime years (the next 3-4 I figure) and that's why it doesn't make sense for us. I do believe his later years will be a burden, but as stated that's just part of the game and we all go through it at some level. So that's why I'm not knocking it. It totally makes sense for the Flyers to have done that now. Can't say I hope it works out because, I mean I hate you and all (=P) but I do think he can be successful and provide what you needed. And hey, I love the guy and his dorky *ss voice =)

I do wish all of our previous homegrown guys would stop appearing on rival teams tho. If Minny trades Zucc to the Isles I'll lose my mind.

Excellent post. Well done.

What an excellent post! Hats off to you, sir!

Cheers! Unless I missed sarcasm, in which case... well, cheers anyway but sarcastically.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
No sarcasm Stasis. I just thought your post was well written and made good points. (I didn't quote you to save space. :))

Reactions: Stasis

onlygotmygrade10

Mar 1, 2014
Toronto
Feel like this has been his rumoured asking price for the last 3 years or so.

Not really the overpayment now that it would have been then.

Seems like pretty good value considering he would have been a ufa shortly. It does mean the Rangers need to start dropping some contracts though, easier said than done and they may not like what it takes to do so.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Rangers defense is a train wreck, they needed Trouba. Big deal if they overpaid 1M. He makes their team much better.

It was 100% a disaster last season, especially after we moved McD, but even before. Not to defend Hank who's clearly declining, but not many goalies would have done much better with that. Georgiev set a record for most shots faced at MSG. They were being absolutely pelted and Hank on the decline just didn't adapt to that. His numbers AND Georgiev's numbers should improve, at least marginally, with a better D corps and structure. Adding Trouba was a big step. But there are going to be growing pains here so I don't expect much this season. I doubt it can be worse than last, but I don't hope for a leap forward, just progress.

Still don't know what happens with potential moves/buyouts, or how rookies come into camp and progress. Skjei had a down year too, he's not the McDonagh 2.0 we hoped he'd be. He's a good (or great, maybe) 2nd pairing D but not a top guy. But our top pair will likely be Skjei - Trouba most of the season and hopefully they gel and Trouba helps settle Skjei who won't have to do as much. Shatty can bounce back a bit, not to where he was before, but better than last year. A full training period, camp, and playing #2RD should really help. If he's the same as last year, well... yikes is the word that comes to mind. DeAngelo has a lot of potential, as does Fox. The former can take the next step and be a solid #2/#3 RD all season potentially, which would be great. We'll see what Fox brings. On the left after Skjei there is still Staal who, imo, should be a 3rd pairing guy and would be fine there if well matched, which may be tricky with an offensive minded rookie like DeAngelo or Fox, but we'll see.What we don't want is him slotting next to Shatty which isn't great since both are slow now... but we do have some good LD options in Rykov and Hajek who I think can both be NHL ready sooner than later and are more defensive minded, therefore pairing well with the smaller offense guys on the right. Rykov will have to adjust to NA ice but has played in KHL for several years and is solid there. Hajek showed his potential, albeit in a very small sample size. There's Lindgren, too.

Will be a bumpy ride for sure... figuring out pairings, trying rookies, guys learning the new system etc but there's progress for sure, even if won't be that apparent this season. We'll figure it out. Next year should be a LOT more fun there.

We got hosed for Trouba by the Rangers , Trouba and his agent.

Who even is this glorified AHL'er Pionk.

Pionk is divisive among Rangers' fans. He was redundant with DeAngelo and now Fox as they're all similar types of players. Shattenkirk too. Basically the same size, offensive-minded, though DeAngelo is more physical and Fox supposedly more agile. Shattenkirk slower. But overall all 5'11"-ish offensive righty D. My take is that he did well offensively but lacked in other aspects. We also, as noted above, had an absolute train wreck of a D corps so he was in over his head a bit. I don't think he'll be a stud, or have the potential of DeAngelo/Fox (I hope!) but I think he can benefit from playing more sheltered minutes in the right situations on a much better D corps and better pairing in WPG than he did with us. He's young enough that if given a chance he may be a decent 3rd pairing guy on a good team imo. I wouldn't expect much more but I wouldn't call him an AHL'er yet. Understand that everyone on our D squad was having to play over their heads last season and kind of thrown to the wolves. He did much better in his 28 games the season before where we were still slightly more structured. I'd give him a shot. He can contribute.

No sarcasm Stasis. I just thought your post was well written and made good points. (I didn't quote you to save space. :))

Yeah I can be a bit, uh... verbose when I get going lol. Typing extremely fast without having to look at the keyboard helps that =) I'm gonna stop off the soapbox now.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
As a Blues fan, I am very interested in this signing,, as it will likely influence what Pietrangelo does.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It was 100% a disaster last season, especially after we moved McD, but even before. Not to defend Hank who's clearly declining, but not many goalies would have done much better with that. Georgiev set a record for most shots faced at MSG. They were being absolutely pelted and Hank on the decline just didn't adapt to that. His numbers AND Georgiev's numbers should improve, at least marginally, with a better D corps and structure. Adding Trouba was a big step. But there are going to be growing pains here so I don't expect much this season. I doubt it can be worse than last, but I don't hope for a leap forward, just progress.

Still don't know what happens with potential moves/buyouts, or how rookies come into camp and progress. Skjei had a down year too, he's not the McDonagh 2.0 we hoped he'd be. He's a good (or great, maybe) 2nd pairing D but not a top guy. But our top pair will likely be Skjei - Trouba most of the season and hopefully they gel and Trouba helps settle Skjei who won't have to do as much. Shatty can bounce back a bit, not to where he was before, but better than last year. A full training period, camp, and playing #2RD should really help. If he's the same as last year, well... yikes is the word that comes to mind. DeAngelo has a lot of potential, as does Fox. The former can take the next step and be a solid #2/#3 RD all season potentially, which would be great. We'll see what Fox brings. On the left after Skjei there is still Staal who, imo, should be a 3rd pairing guy and would be fine there if well matched, which may be tricky with an offensive minded rookie like DeAngelo or Fox, but we'll see.What we don't want is him slotting next to Shatty which isn't great since both are slow now... but we do have some good LD options in Rykov and Hajek who I think can both be NHL ready sooner than later and are more defensive minded, therefore pairing well with the smaller offense guys on the right. Rykov will have to adjust to NA ice but has played in KHL for several years and is solid there. Hajek showed his potential, albeit in a very small sample size. There's Lindgren, too.

Will be a bumpy ride for sure... figuring out pairings, trying rookies, guys learning the new system etc but there's progress for sure, even if won't be that apparent this season. We'll figure it out. Next year should be a LOT more fun there.

Pionk is divisive among Rangers' fans. He was redundant with DeAngelo and now Fox as they're all similar types of players. Shattenkirk too. Basically the same size, offensive-minded, though DeAngelo is more physical and Fox supposedly more agile. Shattenkirk slower. But overall all 5'11"-ish offensive righty D. My take is that he did well offensively but lacked in other aspects. We also, as noted above, had an absolute train wreck of a D corps so he was in over his head a bit. I don't think he'll be a stud, or have the potential of DeAngelo/Fox (I hope!) but I think he can benefit from playing more sheltered minutes in the right situations on a much better D corps and better pairing in WPG than he did with us. He's young enough that if given a chance he may be a decent 3rd pairing guy on a good team imo. I wouldn't expect much more but I wouldn't call him an AHL'er yet. Understand that everyone on our D squad was having to play over their heads last season and kind of thrown to the wolves. He did much better in his 28 games the season before where we were still slightly more structured. I'd give him a shot. He can contribute.

Yeah I can be a bit, uh... verbose when I get going lol. Typing extremely fast without having to look at the keyboard helps that =) I'm gonna stop off the soapbox now.

But can Pionk sell popcorn for us or wear our mascot's costume if needed.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
As a Blues fan, I am very interested in this signing,, as it will likely influence what Pietrangelo does.

He'll be 30 when contract negotiations come around? If he has another great season and isn't showing signs of slowing down I can see a 5 x 10 type deal. Steal of a deal at $6.5 this long so he will want to be paid for his last deal I'd imagine. Maybe longer term, smaller cap and easy to remove 2-3 last years. Someone will offer big if there's any cap space left after this insane off-season, lol. Don't know enough about the Blues to know if you're going for it again, looking to move him at TDL, wanting to re-sign, or have prospects coming up to fill it...

But can Pionk sell popcorn for us or wear our mascot's costume if needed.

For whatever his NHL salary will be, I can do that.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't think Trouba was grossly overpaid. I think he got market value, perhaps slightly more. This is the way the NHL is trending, and defensemen in particular are expensive. Now, how that contract affects the Ranger's pay structure might be another story. I'll leave that for the Ranger fans.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

In summary:

We needed Trouba
Got some good young D in the mix now
Pionk sux

Reactions: Stasis

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Trouba is better than Morrissey.

colbert-what.gif
giphy (10).gif

Reactions: north49er

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
5th highest paid d-man now, clearly not the the 5th best at his position in the league but guys like him are hard to find so I'm not surprised at the money.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Some serious mental gymnastics in this thread. The dude is a legit top pairing d-man who can play in all situations and is only 25. Great deal.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Rangers fans: We're not overrating him, Trouba is a good #2 defenseman. That's what the going rate is. Soon #2 defensemen the world over will be making $8 million.

Also Rangers fans: Trouba is better than PK Subban.
You're saying this like you think Subban is a #1 D...

Trouba is definitely better defensively than Subban. Subban is definitely better on the PP and in the offensive zone in general. Completely different players for completely different team needs. Neither is an elite all-situations defenseman.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Seems like a fair number given the current climate. Big shortage of available defencemen, I really thought he would get more.

Wonder what Gards is going to end up getting...

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
First line defenseman for a 4th line defenseman.
Great move Chevy.

I hope Pionk never wears a Jets jersey and instead plays for the AHL Manitoba Moose.
You should hope you never see him in a Jets jersey. He really is that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad