Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Yikes! Was expecting 6.5-7M over 6-7 years; definitely overpayment.

You really thought his long term deal was going to only 1-1.5 million more than his prior deal? You set yourself up for that reaction which is fine since it fits the narrative.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm not a fan of either team, but this is a good deal.

Trouba can be a real jerk on the ice with some terrible decisions, but this is a reasonably good deal. He is very talented, but constantly complains about money. Surprised at the amount as being relatively reasonable and with term. Very similar to Duchene taking a little less for term, NMC and choice of city.

Good job NYR!

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I always thought Trouba was overrated on this board that's not saying he isn't a very good player. I believe his range in this market was 7.5 to 8 so his terms aren't surprising at all.

Well done on the retool NYR! You all should be fun to watch this year.

Nucks N Canes

Jun 22, 2011
I'm not a fan of either team, but this is a good deal.

Trouba can be a real jerk on the ice with some terrible decisions, but this is a reasonably good deal. He is very talented, but constantly complains about money. Surprised at the amount as being relatively reasonable and with term. Very similar to Duchene taking a little less for term, NMC and choice of city.

Good job NYR!

Will be interesting to see how trouba performs when he has to lead by example, he goes from being behind the scenes to one of the lead dogs.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Trouba's contract will be surpassed by a number of defensemen probably this summer, such as McAvoy and Provorov. And Barrie, Pietrangelo and Chabot next summer. Spurgeon and Krug will be up there too.

This is just the price of keeping talent. Some say "typical Rangers" as if this is a bad thing.

If Trouba’s 7 x $8, Spurgeon is 7 x $10. He won’t get that, but he’ll get $8.75 now, after this, easily. That’s what makes this contract so crazy. Trouba is a good player, but not as good as this contract.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If Trouba’s 7 x $8, Spurgeon is 7 x $10. He won’t get that, but he’ll get $8.75 now, after this, easily. That’s what makes this contract so crazy. Trouba is a good player, but not as good as this contract.

Holy hot take. Signed this at 25 years old. Spurgeon will be 30.

Spurgeon is 6 inches and 40 pounds lighter. Trouba has a far more valuable pedigree.

The first time Trouba got the reigns last year he crushed Spurgeon's best season ever.

Trouba is slated to be a number 1 D. Spurgeon is a number 3 behind Suter and Dumba.

Trouba had extra leverage from being traded for as an RFA.

You're comparing apples to transistor radios.

Jesus this is bad.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Will be interesting to see how trouba performs when he has to lead by example, he goes from being behind the scenes to one of the lead dogs.

Trouba signing includes his prime years.

It’s also partially front loaded for the initial 3 years, easier to trade the last few seasons if he begins to slow which is unlikely. He’ll barely be 30 the last few seasons. Many of the comparables are nearly or over 30 looking for long-term contracts. DMen usually develop around 25+, same age as Trouba signing.

Surprised he agreed to this deal, but it’s a very good contract.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Jets would have paid Trouba if he wanted to be a Winnipeg Jet.

Sign Trouba to a long-term extension
This is by far the most appealing option for the Jets, but at this stage of the proceedings, also seems the least likely. It’s been written in this space on numerous occasions that if Trouba can stay healthy and have a 40-plus point season, the Jets would have no issue paying him the big-ticket salary with term that he covets. That still rings true, even with the Jets facing some serious cap challenges this summer and a number of important players left to sign. However, it’s up to Trouba to show that he considers the Jets a long-term option.

For a guy who could be in line to make somewhere between $7.5 to $8.5 million on a contract with six-to-eight years of term

KEN WIEBE: Where does Trouba land? Jets must explore all options | Cape Breton Post

All of these people are complaining about the Trouba contract but Winnipeg would have paid the guy.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Lmao, wow. As I said previously in this thread, for a team that has one (ONE!!) playoff win in the last seven years
Devils fans have been extremely obnoxious with their over confidence the last few weeks.

Ahh yes, the supreme arrogance of claiming PK Subban is better than Jacob Trouba. I haven't seen much overconfidence from Devils fans on the boards, I don't think I've even seen any predict that they'll make the playoffs. Maybe you're projecting your own anxiety about how far along the Devils are. Sounds complicated, might want to talk to someone about that.

You all might be in for a rude awakening this season when you finally realize that the PK Subban you traded for truly is seven years removed from winning his Norris and has been dumped by two other teams for a reason.

He was nominated for a Norris last year. I hope Jake wins one some day, I do wonder if his girlfriend will let him fly to the awards though.

And Taylor Hall's one outlier season was exactly that, one outlier season and is outscored by Panarin (if he even finishes the season with the Devils).

Taylor Hall's career points per game: .91 Parnarin's: .99

And lastly Kakko blows Hughes out of the water and the dawning realization that you were all correct to be increasingly terrified about passing on him after every goal he scored at the Worlds

Haha, where did that come from? Seems like more anxiety leaking out. To be fair though, it could happen. Kakko is a great player and a very nice boy.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Ahh yes, the supreme arrogance of claiming PK Subban is better than Jacob Trouba. I haven't seen much overconfidence from Devils fans on the boards, I don't think I've even seen any predict that they'll make the playoffs. Maybe you're projecting your own anxiety about how far along the Devils are. Sounds complicated, might want to talk to someone about that.

He was nominated for a Norris last year. I hope Jake wins one some day, I do wonder if his girlfriend will let him fly to the awards though.

Taylor Hall's career points per game: .91 Parnarin's: .99

Haha, where did that come from? Seems like more anxiety leaking out. To be fair though, it could happen. Kakko is a great player and a very nice boy.

There's a whole thread dedicated to Devils fans claiming their immediately back in the playoff picture with hot takes ranging as far as to say the Devils have both better center and defensive depth than the defending Cup champs and that Vatanen is equal to Parayko as "Top 4 defensemen", as if the latter isn't an elite top pairing borderline Franchise defenseman

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
There's a whole thread dedicated to Devils fans claiming their immediately back in the playoff picture with hot takes ranging as far as to say the Devils have both better center and defensive depth than the defending Cup champs and that Vatanen is equal to Parayko as "Top 4 defensemen", as if the latter isn't an elite top pairing borderline Franchise defenseman

On the main board? I honestly did not see that, if that's true that's pretty dumb.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
There's an equivalent thread about the Rangers being a playoff team and another about them being the blueprint for rebuild success while having achieved exactly zero. What the hell is your point.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

Should you really be pointing out other people’s hot takes after saying things like Kakko blows Hughes out of the water and Hall has had one outlier season?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
There's an equivalent thread about the Rangers being a playoff team and another about them being the blueprint for rebuild success while having achieved exactly zero. What the hell is your point.

Filled with Rangers fans pointing out that the OP is incorrect and the rebuild is not yet complete, including myself.

I even pointed out that Gorton might have jumped the gun given our center situation might be the worst in the league right now and desperately could have used Byfield before we were ready to make our move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->