Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think it's a bad deal. It just makes me really love the Dumba deal. Better player and lower cap hit, but also signed for shorter.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I don't know that seems like a lot of money for a guy that presumably only wanted to play in NY. Add in the fact that the Rangers had to give up a 1st and Pionk just to get him, not sure this was even a good move in a vacuum, let alone when you consider the Rangers have a ton of deadweight still on their back end they need to unload.

A late first.
Pionk was really, really bad.
Trouba is a legit 2nd to top pair D man at 25.
5 or 6 prime years left. If a team could get 3 guys of Trouba's quality and age for nothing more than a late 1sts and shitty dmen, they'd gladly sacrifice 3 late firsts and 3 shitty dmen without hesitation.

Every year we see sure things in the top 5 picks of the entire draft turn into duds who can't even make the league. Even if you had the 4th overall pick 3 years in the row, the odds of landing 3 guys of Troubas quality is astronomically low. You'd be batting about average if you could land one guy who is at least as good as Trouba. So I am baffled that anyone who follows hockey with regularity would think that a pick this late in the first is too valuable for a guy as good as Trouba.

A decade ago a guy like this gets 5-6 M. The cap keeps going up. Now these kinds of guys get 7-9.

It was a fantastic move by any reasonable metric. Namest, Belesky, Smith and Strome can all easily be traded away. Especially Namestnikov and Strome. If they have any trouble signing guys it'd be a surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan92

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I also think all those mocking the deal need to consider the cost of living and tax implications of working and living in NYC.
Trouba clears far less than he would playing for nearly every other NHL club.
The Rangers have quite a few players that willingly took less to play in NY.

Reactions: klingsor

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
I also think all those mocking the deal need to consider the cost of living and tax implications of working and living in NYC.
Trouba clears far less than he would playing for nearly every other NHL club.
The Rangers have quite a few players that willingly took less to play in NY.

Poor fellow.

Reactions: north49er

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Trouba is so overrated. 8 mil for 7 years? Enjoy your Seabrook.

As a Blues fan I’m going to miss him being in Winnipeg.

FlyerMan

Jul 5, 2019
Trouba has outscored Morrissey his entire career. He was also relied more heavily than Morrissey in the playoffs against the cup champions by more than 2 full minutes (2:17m). In the season Trouba was used, on average, 29 seconds more per game. Seems like your coach agrees with me.
And from the games I have watched, Trouba has always impressed me more. Sorry he's just better. He's bigger and skates really well for a man his size.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I wonder what this means for Provorov. Obviously a ceiling. Hopefully in the 6s for 6 years.

How is NY over the Cap? I know Panarin but they haven’t even played a game since their rebuild ended.
Provorov is significantly better than Trouba, doubt he goes for less.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
A late first.
Pionk was really, really bad.
Trouba is a legit 2nd to top pair D man at 25.
5 or 6 prime years left. If a team could get 3 guys of Trouba's quality and age for nothing more than a late 1sts and ****ty dmen, they'd gladly sacrifice 3 late firsts and 3 ****ty dmen without hesitation.

Every year we see sure things in the top 5 picks of the entire draft turn into duds who can't even make the league. Even if you had the 4th overall pick 3 years in the row, the odds of landing 3 guys of Troubas quality is astronomically low. You'd be batting about average if you could land one guy who is at least as good as Trouba. So I am baffled that anyone who follows hockey with regularity would think that a pick this late in the first is too valuable for a guy as good as Trouba.

A decade ago a guy like this gets 5-6 M. The cap keeps going up. Now these kinds of guys get 7-9.

It was a fantastic move by any reasonable metric. Namest, Belesky, Smith and Strome can all easily be traded away. Especially Namestnikov and Strome. If they have any trouble signing guys it'd be a surprise.

Did nobody tell you every 1st round pick has the equivalent value of prime Bure on this board?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I don't think it's a bad deal. It just makes me really love the Dumba deal. Better player and lower cap hit, but also signed for shorter.
Trouba is a much better player than Dumba.
Trouba plays against the other team’s top players Dumba doesn’t
Trouba is excellent defensively Dumba is erratic defensively
Trouba was more productive 5v5
Trouba is better on the PK
Dumba may be a little better on a the PP but that’s mostly driven by an elevated and unsustainable sh% last year.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Provorov is significantly better than Trouba, doubt he goes for less.
Trouba is l better that Provorov in all phases of the game. Provorov is younger and may reach Trouba's level some day, but he Trouba is a much better player right now

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
hahahahaha, did you legit just call Trouba a top 10-15 D? TROUBA?
He plays against the other teams best players, he's near the top on the NHL in 5v5 scoring rates over the past 3 years and is one of the better defenders in the NHL and has good PP numbers in spite of relatively limited opportunity with the Jets top unit. There are maybe 3-5 other D-men in the NHL you can say these things about.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I feel like you're insecure and every fan says this about their team
Maybe group your stuff together? There was no need for 5 post in a row. Especially where none of your responses contributed to anything.

in all honesty, pretty much expected... by IMO he's over rated

Lower tier 1st paring, higher tier 2nd paring

If that's all we get from him, for most of his contract, I'll be quite happy. If he ends up being a #2/#3 for the duration of his contract, the 8 million is well worth it going forward. Trouba had a unique situation - 1 year away from UFA status.

People look at RFA VS UFA money. 1) That's changing with the current RFA contracts. 2) There was only 1 year of RFA status left. If we let this play out through arbitration, we keep Trouba paid less for this year and then have to negotiate through-out the year or trade him at the deadline. He would most likely want to listen to UFA offers if he starts the season as an expiring contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad