Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
imo as a Jets fan - Trouba and Morrissey are close. both guys excelled as a top-pairing, i don't think either carried the other just very good chemistry together.

I think Trouba>Morrissey offensively, although Morrissey could get to Trouba's point totals. Can Morrissey hit 50 pts with pp1 time? Morrissey was playing at a 43 pt pace this year with similar 5v5 scoring efficiency, maybe with PP1 time he could be near 50. Morrissey>Trouba defensively though... i take Trouba overall but it's very close imo. They're both top-pairing guys that played very well together.

Can Trouba or Morrissey carry a top-pairing anchor? Trouba did have good results playing a bit lower down the line-up with Stuart on the Jets, I don't think Morrissey has spent any significant time away from a top-4 calibre Dman (has played mostly with Buff or Trouba) but his game is predicated on high IQ/defensive soundness and smarts. I think his skill-set could translate well for him in having to carry an anchor to good results, but obviously remains to be seen.

Reactions: Bet the Over

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Morrissey will have a very different career but will prove to be better in the long-run. We need to find someone with similar attributes to Trouba to pair Morrissey with since that pair was dynamite until Morrissey got hurt last year.
Trouba carried Nathan Beaulieu to top pairing min the second half of the season. I guess we’ll see if Morrissey can do the same with Pionk (I’m still holding out hope Kovacevic can step in and play, his size would make him a better fit with a smallish D-man like Morrissey)

Morrissey is very good though. He handles an aggressive forecehck better than Trouba and plays a lower event game than Trouba.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
$8 million for a #1 D is better value than $6 million for a second pair D.
Dumba and Trouba are both #2D and I say this as a Rangers fan. Both bring something different but are around the same level. Dumba’s contract on an open market would be around Trouba’s as well

Reactions: haveandare

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I really like trouba, and think he's been underrated due to just not being very good on the PP for whatever reason.

Last 2yrs:

Trouba: 160gms, ES 17:56 (A qoc), .98p/60, .63p1/60, +0.7cfrel, +2.7xgfrel
Morrissey: 162gms, ES 17:26 (A qoc), .89p/60, .51p1/60, +0.0cfrel, +2.2xgfrel
Byfuglien: 134gms, ES 19:28 (B+ qoc), 1.06p/60, .64p1/60, +1.7cfrel, +1.5xgfrel

Trouba: 160gms, PP 1:37, 4.41p/60, 1.63p1/60 ------ PK 2:23
Morrissey: 162gms, PP 0:48, 5.09p/60, 1.85p1/60 --- PK 2:26
Byfuglien: 134gms, PP 3:01, 6.82p60, 2.23p1/60 ---- PK 1:30

So Buff played much bigger minutes than the other two, but it was the Mo-Jake pair that was used as the actual shutdown pairing, and the top PK pairing.....and they were very good in that role, even with very tough competition. Both were actually pretty good offensively, too, and not all that far behind Byfuglien tbh.

None of them fared too well on the PP, which is probably a team thing, but there's no getting around the fact that Jake was the worst at it, by a good margin. It seems to just not be his thing.

All and all looking at all the numbers I think Trouba was the #1 dman on the Jets, and slightly better than Mo and Buff.....but all three were pretty close I think. And yeah Jake is well worth $8m as a guy who excels in elite usage matchups at even strength, offensively and defensively.

I think the Rags did very well here. This is the first good dman signing they've had since adding McDonagh....and I think he's probably better than McDonagh was. But after so many years of hilarious overpays for guys like Shatt an Smith, it's nice to see the rangers smarten up.

Reactions: DRW204 and BPD

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I really like trouba, and think he's been underrated due to just not being very good on the PP for whatever reason.

Last 2yrs:

So Buff played much bigger minutes than the other two, but it was the Mo-Jake pair that was used as the actual shutdown pairing, and the top PK pairing.....and they were very good in that role, even with very tough competition. Both were actually pretty good offensively, too, and not all that far behind Byfuglien tbh.

None of them fared too well on the PP, which is probably a team thing, but there's no getting around the fact that Jake was the worst at it, by a good margin. It seems to just not be his thing.

All and all looking at all the numbers I think Trouba was the #1 dman on the Jets, and slightly better than Mo and Buff.....but all three were pretty close I think. And yeah Jake is well worth $8m as a guy who excels in elite usage matchups at even strength, offensively and defensively.

I think the Rags did very well here. This is the first good dman signing they've had since adding McDonagh....and I think he's probably better than McDonagh was. But after so many years of hilarious overpays for guys like Shatt an Smith, it's nice to see the rangers smarten up.

#youdidthemath

Didn't watch much of the Jets but I have to imagine Trouba was the QB for half the PP with Laine, Wheeler, Schiefele, and Big Buff? Looks like Buff just stayed out the whole time whereas Trouba got off the ice for Morrissey at some juncture during most PPs. Is that about right?

Trojien

Mar 20, 2015
Landshut

Last 2yrs:

Well I wouldn't give the Rags too much credit, since Trouba literally threw himself into their arms.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
#youdidthemath

Didn't watch much of the Jets but I have to imagine Trouba was the QB for half the PP with Laine, Wheeler, Schiefele, and Big Buff? Looks like Buff just stayed out the whole time whereas Trouba got off the ice for Morrissey at some juncture during most PPs. Is that about right?
No, Buff dominated PP1 minutes. the set up was Laine-Scheif-Wheeler-Connor-Buff. PP1 took up roughly 1:30-1:45/2mins of the PP

when Buff got hurt Trouba eventually got the PP1 role (Myers/Morrissey had looks - Morrissey got hurt though then Trouba took it).

a mishmash of Myers/Trouba/Morrissey are the usual PP2 Dmen

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
No, Buff dominated PP1 minutes. the set up was Laine-Scheif-Wheeler-Connor-Buff

when Buff got hurt Trouba eventually got the PP1 role (Myers/Morrissey had looks - Morrissey got hurt though then Trouba took it).

a mishmash of Myers/Trouba/Morrissey are the usual PP2 Dmen

So this would really be the first time Trouba has real, true PP1 time?

Interesting to see how that goes. He's got some real good passers out there with him too.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Interesting to see how that goes. He's got some real good passers out there with him too.
yes. a RD is optimal on the Jets PP in order to quickly feed the one-t pass to Laine. Wheeler is the one that QBs the PP though, he's the one usually feeding cross-ice Laine on the left dot or Scheifele in the slot

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trouba is a much better player than Dumba.
Trouba plays against the other team’s top players Dumba doesn’t
Trouba is excellent defensively Dumba is erratic defensively
Trouba was more productive 5v5
Trouba is better on the PK
Dumba may be a little better on a the PP but that’s mostly driven by an elevated and unsustainable sh% last year.
Try again. Maybe next time you’ll do better research.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Maybe group your stuff together? There was no need for 5 post in a row. Especially where none of your responses contributed to anything.

If that's all we get from him, for most of his contract, I'll be quite happy. If he ends up being a #2/#3 for the duration of his contract, the 8 million is well worth it going forward. Trouba had a unique situation - 1 year away from UFA status.

People look at RFA VS UFA money. 1) That's changing with the current RFA contracts. 2) There was only 1 year of RFA status left. If we let this play out through arbitration, we keep Trouba paid less for this year and then have to negotiate through-out the year or trade him at the deadline. He would most likely want to listen to UFA offers if he starts the season as an expiring contract.

What are you talking about, his posts contributed to the discussion perfectly fine. He addressed different issues with different posts and it was 3 posts. 5 would have been a bit much and he should prob group it all in one but it's no big deal. I see people do it all the time as they catch up in long threads. It just looks like you didn't like his point so you looked for every reason to complain.

Edit: Thought he was talking about Iomiller's 3 posts in a row right before his post. My bad

Last edited:

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
yes. a RD is optimal on the Jets PP in order to quickly feed the one-t pass to Laine. Wheeler is the one that QBs the PP though, he's the one usually feeding cross-ice Laine on the left dot or Scheifele in the slot

Makes total sense; thanks!

Should be interesting to see how Trouba handles the increased role.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Makes total sense; thanks!

Should be interesting to see how Trouba handles the increased role.

I don't know for sure if Trouba will get increased PP time. DeAngelo was elite offensively last season (significantly better than Trouba by many metrics) and we also have Fox who is expected to be great at quarterbacking the PP.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
I don't know for sure if Trouba will get increased PP time. DeAngelo was elite offensively last season (significantly better than Trouba by many metrics) and we also have Fox who is expected to be great at quarterbacking the PP.

You're right, but at this point, I'm not sure ADA is a Ranger by the start of camp, and I'd be pretty miffed if Trouba's spot on the PP1 is claimed by a guy with no NHL experience.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You're right, but at this point, I'm not sure ADA is a Ranger by the start of camp, and I'd be pretty miffed if Trouba's spot on the PP1 is claimed by a guy with no NHL experience.
Why would they move ADA? He was a huge part of the Stepan return and has improved a ton since then. We’re also not flush with defensive depth that’s actually any good. Moving him would be a tremendous mistake imo.

Reactions: Shootertooter

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Trouba carried Nathan Beaulieu to top pairing min the second half of the season. I guess we’ll see if Morrissey can do the same with Pionk (I’m still holding out hope Kovacevic can step in and play, his size would make him a better fit with a smallish D-man like Morrissey)

Morrissey is very good though. He handles an aggressive forecehck better than Trouba and plays a lower event game than Trouba.

Do you want to hazard a guess why that is? This is the definition of a great defenseman.

Nidermayer is the first thing I see when I watch Josh pull away from the forecheck. Very, very efficient.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What are you talking about, his posts contributed to the discussion perfectly fine. He addressed different issues with different posts and it was 3 posts. 5 would have been a bit much and he should prob group it all in one but it's no big deal. I see people do it all the time as they catch up in long threads. It just looks like you didn't like his point so you looked for every reason to complain.
Post 390, 391, 392, 393, 394

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

No, he had PP time in Winnipeg. Not that great, he does dumb things sometimes. But if you can set him just to shoot on the PP then it will be okay.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems a lot of coin for a guy who isn't necessarily a number 1 Dman. But as salaries raise over time, maybe it won't end up being as bad.

How many UFA D-men can you sign at 8M today?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad