Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I don't think this Trouba deal will look bad in 2 or 3 years. Unless he falls apart, he should live up to it.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Jets have a collection of very marginal defensemen after Morrissey and Buff. Pionk fits right in with them. There will be pressure to play him though in order to justify a very lopsided trade. Most of us aren’t salty towards the Rangers though. Wish you luck in fact.
Aside from some amazing highlights where he looked like Bobby Orr, he just not good. Maybe it was the way he was used, I can't say but by the end of the season it just didn't seem like he was NHL calliber. I liked him (at least after that ridiculous end-to-end spin-o-rama goal) and hope he improves for you but he was bad in his own zone. Maybe that was more to do with the ranger D corps last season (well really the entire team) being mostly awful with only a few bright spots. As bad as Lundqvist looked the past couple of seasons it was IMO a direct result of atrocious D which Trouba will hopefully help shore up. But we still have a lot of dead weight so while I think next season will be fun to watch I don't expect the rangers to be more than a bubble team at best (despite my avatar).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Filled with Rangers fans pointing out that the OP is incorrect and the rebuild is not yet complete, including myself.

I even pointed out that Gorton might have jumped the gun given our center situation might be the worst in the league right now and desperately could have used Byfield before we were ready to make our move.

NJ Devils, no playoffs, playoffs, deep run?
Rosiest prediction from a Devils fan here is a 2nd round exit after finishing 3rd in the metro, but most Devils fans are saying its a bubble team

Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, PK Subban: Devils a contender?
This is obviously the thread you're talking about. Literally one guy with 200 posts in 10 years saying that the Devils have a better roster than the Blues. Haha, that guy really loves Sami Vatanen. I noticed you jumped down his throat too. We seem to be a bit sensitive.

Reactions: Kakk Addict

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
NJ Devils, no playoffs, playoffs, deep run?
Rosiest prediction from a Devils fan here is a 2nd round exit after finishing 3rd in the metro, but most Devils fans are saying its a bubble team

Jack Hughes, Taylor Hall, PK Subban: Devils a contender?
This is obviously the thread you're talking about. Literally one guy with 200 posts in 10 years saying that the Devils have a better roster than the Blues. Haha, that guy really loves Sami Vatanen. I noticed you jumped down his throat too. We seem to be a bit sensitive.

Even though I hate the Devils, I'll throw you a like because of the effort level and research you've put in

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Is Pionk even a 3rd pairing D?
Pionk has taken a beating, but there's something there. He's a pretty good offensive dman. The problem is, he's gonna get beat. Give him ice, and he will get you points. Bench him for errors, there's nothing that he can do to get it back for you. When he's on the puck gets to the net, no matter what zone it's in.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
But thats not true considering this last season there were far more goals

Rielly isnt as good as this season, just like the other hundred career years arent
But u don't know if last year was a career year, needs to be played out. If he was a run of the mill player then ur comment may have more legs but were talking about a 25 yo former 5th overall pick. Who was always known for his off attributes and always had this potential.

A guy who has made steady improvement each season and is still improving both off and def. He still hasn't reach his peak yet imo and I believe he has more. Don't think he is a one and done.

Will he smash last season totals in the future, probably not but I don't see y he can't come close year to year. He is quite talented off and plays on a very talented off team. That in it itself should keep his totals close to last season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Trouba is solid, but that is a ton of cap... frankly too much to be spent on him for what he is. Signing him to that amount would have meant the Jets would have had to let Connor go, and maybe even more then that (considering Aho’s signed offersheet at $8.5 million sets the RFA market lower then what was feared).

Rather have Trouba than Connor, especially considering how many other wingers we have

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Well, he had no contract and he basically cost UFA money, so NYR essentially paid a 1st + Pionk for his negotiating rights. There was one guaranteed year of RFA status, but Trouba has been known to sit when he's not happy.
In Winnipeg yes, everyone and their mother knew that he was biding his time there. Anyways that wasn't wat I was commenting on, the poster/was it u said teams who sign free agents don't win cupz. I'm just saying Trouba wasn't the typical off season free agents signing that teams usually do that most of the time don't help. He mention exceptions in Hossa and chara, they are Ufa, Trouba was a traded for rfa that's all

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
In Winnipeg yes, everyone and their mother knew that he was biding his time there. Anyways that wasn't wat I was commenting on, the poster/was it u said teams who sign free agents don't win cupz. I'm just saying Trouba wasn't the typical off season free agents signing that teams usually do that most of the time don't help. He mention exceptions in Hossa and chara, they are Ufa, Trouba was a traded for rfa that's all
Arguing semantics as Trouba only had one RFA year left so the Rangers had to give him a UFA contract. If they didn't, he would have gone to arbitration for a one year deal and the Rangers risked losing him next summer.

It would be like saying that Kevin Hayes wasn't a UFA signing because the Flyers traded for him before he hit the open market.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Arguing semantics as Trouba only had one RFA year left so the Rangers had to give him a UFA contract. If they didn't, he would have gone to arbitration for a one year deal and the Rangers risked losing him next summer.

It would be like saying that Kevin Hayes wasn't a UFA signing because the Flyers traded for him before he hit the open market.

This. If he had taken a one year deal not only would we have risked losing him next Summer, we'd have likely had to pay more than we did or at least make it 8 years, which would have meant 9 in total vs. the 7 now that takes him to an age I'm comfortable with.

We had a huge need for a solid righty and we got one. Whether he ever gets points like he did this past season or not is irrelevant. We have quite a few offensive D-men who can shake out to provide that firepower. He's an all-around talent who can play a physical two-way game and 100% what we need. Overpayment? Maybe. I don't think so, personally, even if I'd have preferred $7M. The vast majority of us were expecting some deal like this, and hoping it'd be a 7 year vs. the 1 year and then 8. He may not be a #1RD on some teams, but he's a #1RD on our team as it stands, without a doubt. We can't have it all. We're revamping our defense over 2 years and this is step one. Suffice to say it should be significantly better than it was the past few seasons, especially last season. And that's what matters. People calling this "the worst contract!" are absurd. That's just blind hatred/bias. Choose to label it a bit of an overpayment if you will, but be realistic. Unless he falls off a cliff, we'll be fine with who he was even before this past season.

There will likely be growing pains. Playing with some rookies vs. the established and great D-Corps WPG had. More will be asked of him with us than with them, new coach, new system, etc. I don't expect an amazing year, but I doubt he will be a liability at any time. I envy those of you who have had fantastic Defense through your rosters but that hasn't been the case for us and many other teams. Trouba is a good fit and we'll be fine. The contract terms are also good as the last two years make it more flexible if the need arises. I guess the only knock I'd have is the injury risk since he has missed parts of several seasons. Can't do much about that and nothing major or scary as yet. He didn't cost us much to acquire, for what he is at his age, and the deal is fair given comparable deals and the situation. It's done when he's 32.

But Rangers, so definitely terrible and we'll regret it. I know. We get it. All of our contracts suck and everyone will bust. I know many of you would love that. So have fun watching us go through growing pains this season, pat yourselves on the back and exclaim, with glee, "See! I called it!". Good on you. But for the sake of logic and fairness, when considering our situation, let's wait a bit more than one season and see, shall we? Could be great, could be terrible. I figure it'll settle somewhere in the middle and be just fine, and forgotten about.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO

It's not semantics it's actually what happened. Kevin hayes was a pending Ufa, Trouba is an rfa, don't see the semantic here. Of course ur paying for Ufa years but that's not the same as chasing a Ufa on july 1st.

If so rangers would of waited but they felt it was worth it and if he wasn't gonna sign they get a first at the deadline, but he is signed now. So again not the same as u said, this is not one of those throw money at a Ufa scenario that doesn't work out. The worst case scenario was have Trouba till deadline and all u lose poink. I'm sure the 1st could be recovered

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This. If he had taken a one year deal not only would we have risked losing him next Summer, we'd have likely had to pay more than we did or at least make it 8 years, which would have meant 9 in total vs. the 7 now that takes him to an age I'm comfortable with.

We had a huge need for a solid righty and we got one. Whether he ever gets points like he did this past season or not is irrelevant. We have quite a few offensive D-men who can shake out to provide that firepower. He's an all-around talent who can play a physical two-way game and 100% what we need. Overpayment? Maybe. I don't think so, personally, even if I'd have preferred $7M. The vast majority of us were expecting some deal like this, and hoping it'd be a 7 year vs. the 1 year and then 8. He may not be a #1RD on some teams, but he's a #1RD on our team as it stands, without a doubt. We can't have it all. We're revamping our defense over 2 years and this is step one. Suffice to say it should be significantly better than it was the past few seasons, especially last season. And that's what matters. People calling this "the worst contract!" are absurd. That's just blind hatred/bias. Choose to label it a bit of an overpayment if you will, but be realistic. Unless he falls off a cliff, we'll be fine with who he was even before this past season.

There will likely be growing pains. Playing with some rookies vs. the established and great D-Corps WPG had. More will be asked of him with us than with them, new coach, new system, etc. I don't expect an amazing year, but I doubt he will be a liability at any time. I envy those of you who have had fantastic Defense through your rosters but that hasn't been the case for us and many other teams. Trouba is a good fit and we'll be fine. The contract terms are also good as the last two years make it more flexible if the need arises. I guess the only knock I'd have is the injury risk since he has missed parts of several seasons. Can't do much about that and nothing major or scary as yet. He didn't cost us much to acquire, for what he is at his age, and the deal is fair given comparable deals and the situation. It's done when he's 32.

But Rangers, so definitely terrible and we'll regret it. I know. We get it. All of our contracts suck and everyone will bust. I know many of you would love that. So have fun watching us go through growing pains this season, pat yourselves on the back and exclaim, with glee, "See! I called it!". Good on you. But for the sake of logic and fairness, when considering our situation, let's wait a bit more than one season and see, shall we? Could be great, could be terrible. I figure it'll settle somewhere in the middle and be just fine, and forgotten about.

Excellent post. Well done.

Reactions: Stasis

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

What an excellent post! Hats off to you, sir!

Reactions: Stasis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad