Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Then you don’t or haven’t seen him play much.
Great #3 ?
He is a very good 2
He’s a steady defender and can chip in offensively as well.
As much as I hated the drama here he will be missed.
I actually thought KO would drag this to the brink next season
I do and have seen him plenty. Followed him since his draft year. I said "great #3 or serviceable #2."

Reactions: Fixxer

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I do and have seen him plenty. Followed him since his draft year. I said "great #3 or serviceable #2."

He’s beyond a 3 rd IMO
I believe he’ll elevate his game further and be a surprise to many who don’t see him play a lot.
My apologies for presuming.
He’s very young still so this should work out well for the Rangers
Cheers

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
What's funny is that Trouba is only earning $1.35M more than Kevin Shattenkirk. They've also tied up $10M in cap space towards Marc Staal and Brendan Smith, and have to clear up some space to re-sign their RFAs.

This is a team that's not very good at managing their cap.

All the really bad contracts clear in 2 years. Theyre fine.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Not bad, wish we could have kept him
Trouba is solid, but that is a ton of cap... frankly too much to be spent on him for what he is. Signing him to that amount would have meant the Jets would have had to let Connor go, and maybe even more then that (considering Aho’s signed offersheet at $8.5 million sets the RFA market lower then what was feared).

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
A good deal by the Rangers. Trouba will thrive out of Jets and Maurice and their mismanagement of non veteran players, as he did when Maurice was forced to give him minutes when Buff went down. He will be a clear and deserving #1 playing winning hockey despite the naysayers here.

What a steal by the Rangers.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Overpayment as was expected. I've never understood the hype for this guy. He's a great #3 or serviceable #2.

Totally agree with this. Will be interesting to see if he can prove himself to be a top pairing guy in NY. Always had great tools, but never put them all together at the same time to become a $8M player.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Trouba was the third best d-man of the Jets behind Morrissey and Big Buff, and yet he now has the fifth highest AAV of all defencemen in the entire league?!

And many posters think this is a “good deal”?

LMAO!

Look, I get that a youngish UFA RHD like Trouba would get that kind of cash next year if he was on the open market. It’s really a luxury tax to teams that didn’t develop their own young RHD and have to toss a bunch of cap at players like this.

Trouba is versatile and a good player to have (even though he has big brain farts) but you hurt your team paying that kind of bread because of your failed development of your own young players.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This is what the market has become, but man, RFAs are getting paid SO f***ing much now. They used to come at a pretty big discount compared with UFAs, but now it seems like star RFAs get essentially UFA money.

Wonder what triggered this happening? Offer sheets are still rare, sitting out sucks for the players, how did players gain so much leverage over the past few years?

FlyerMan

Jul 5, 2019
Trouba was the third best d-man of the Jets behind Morrissey and Big Buff, and yet he now has the fifth highest AAV of all defencemen in the entire league?!

And many posters think this is a “good deal”?

LMAO!

Look, I get that a youngish UFA RHD like Trouba would get that kind of cash next year if he was on the open market. It’s really a luxury tax to teams that didn’t develop their own young RHD and have to toss a bunch of cap at players like this.

Trouba is versatile and a good player to have (even though he has big brain farts) but you hurt your team paying that kind of bread because of your failed development of your own young players.
Trouba is better than Morrissey.

FlyerMan

Jul 5, 2019
This is what the market has become, but man, RFAs are getting paid SO ****ing much now. They used to come at a pretty big discount compared with UFAs, but now it seems like star RFAs get essentially UFA money. Wonder what triggered this happening?
Nylander

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Between JoMo and Trouba we don't really know who was the better player. Better hope it was Trouba or Jets will have to pay JoMo a tonne of cash.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This is what the market has become, but man, RFAs are getting paid SO ****ing much now. They used to come at a pretty big discount compared with UFAs, but now it seems like star RFAs get essentially UFA money.

Wonder what triggered this happening? Offer sheets are still rare, sitting out sucks for the players, how did players gain so much leverage over the past few years?

To be fair, Trouba only had one RFA year left. He got 5.5 mil in arbitration last year and had a much better season after, so the RFA discount should have been maybe 1-2 million. If he was full UFA, he would have been paid more than 8 million by a team anyway. This was essentially a full UFA contract.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Totally forgot about reillys contract in the midst of this MM stuff, cant wait to see the million threads about that after marner signs.

You'll get to hear it for what, 3 years? Seriously though, I've been wondering about his for a while. I mean if Subban gets $9 M about 9 years before Rielly is due and Rielly has already produced a year 35% greater than Subban's best by the time he signed that contract......

Then throw in Trouba's contract. Oof! Kid will be due big money.

I actually think it's a big part of why Dubas is staggering the contracts rather than the normal 8 years. I think he's looking at the long term picture.

Reactions: TheNewKid

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Seems like $1M per season too much but Kurt Overpayment wouldn't have it any other way. Rangers are now solid on the right side on their top pairing for a long time. If the Rags can get Kakko off the wing and turn him into a bonified #1C then this team could be going places relatively quick.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Devils fans: "Two seconds for a declining Subban at 9 million is awesome, but let's shred trading a #20 and the ghost of Matt Gilroy for a guy whose 25, making less money, and is a better player at this stage."

Rangers fans: We're not overrating him, Trouba is a good #2 defenseman. That's what the going rate is. Soon #2 defensemen the world over will be making $8 million.

Also Rangers fans: Trouba is better than PK Subban.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
You'll get to hear it for what, 3 years? Seriously though, I've been wondering about his for a while. I mean if Subban gets $9 M about 9 years before Rielly is due and Rielly has already produced a year 35% greater than Subban's best by the time he signed that contract......

Then throw in Trouba's contract. Oof! Kid will be due big money.

I actually think it's a big part of why Dubas is staggering the contracts rather than the normal 8 years. I think he's looking at the long term picture.
when has Rielly ever had a better season than Subbans Norris year, let alone 35% greater?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad