Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Sure it totally matters. But even if you look at cap hit percentage, he’s at 9.82% which I think still puts him somewhere in the top-20. When you factor in that he signed this deal as an RFA, that’s still pretty bad.
But he’s a 25 year old RFA that was just traded. A lot of good d-men who signed cheap deals were just coming off their ELCs. That makes a big difference. Not only that, but good RFAs are being paid a lot of money recently. There’s also a pretty significant difference between being top 5 and top 20 for cap hit percentage. Trouba is a #1 d-man (#2 at worst). I’ll take the 8 mil AAV cap hit for someone like that. I don’t know how it’s “pretty bad.” Maybe a slight overpayment by 0.5-1 mil a year, but it shouldn’t matter in the long run.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Overpayment as was expected. I've never understood the hype for this guy. He's a great #3 or serviceable #2.

Reactions: Kimota

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If rangers do not expect much offence especially goals and a drop off in assists because of not playing with scheifele wheeler ehlers connor and laine then they should be happy with this contract.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
The Rags gave a lot. Full NMC from 20/21 season through the 23/24 season, changing to modified 15 team, then 12 team NTC in the final 2 seasons.
Strange there’s zero trade protection this coming season, in the first year of the deal.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Rags gave a lot. Full NMC from 20/21 season through the 23/24 season, changing to modified 15 team, then 12 team NTC in the final 2 seasons.
Strange there’s zero trade protection this coming season, in the first year of the deal.

RFA years are ineligible for trade protection.

Edit already answered.

Reactions: BatVader

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
What's funny is that Trouba is only earning $1.35M more than Kevin Shattenkirk. They've also tied up $10M in cap space towards Marc Staal and Brendan Smith, and have to clear up some space to re-sign their RFAs.

This is a team that's not very good at managing their cap.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
What's funny is that Trouba is only earning $1.35M more than Kevin Shattenkirk. They've also tied up $10M in cap space towards Marc Staal and Brendan Smith, and have to clear up some space to re-sign their RFAs.

The Rangers never learn. You don't win cups by signing tons of players from outside the organization to huge deals.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii

I don't think the difference between Shattenkirk and Trouba is very big when you can slot them in their ideal positions, although that was more true a few years ago for Shattenkirk .

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Fair contract for Trouba, particularly since he was a pending UFA. It does mean, though, that the Rangers need to move a contract or two, which makes me, as a Canes fan, very happy about Slavin and Pesce's team-friendly extensions.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Fair deal considering what Myers got. Will be interesting if he can cement himself as a bonafide #1 all-situations D-man this year.

It could be an interesting season for him. Not sure who his partner will be?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If rangers do not expect much offence especially goals and a drop off in assists because of not playing with scheifele wheeler ehlers connor and laine then they should be happy with this contract.
But if that's all he does, he will be severely overpaid. They are paying him like an elite defenseman. If he doesn't perform like one, it's a problem.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Overpayment as was expected. I've never understood the hype for this guy. He's a great #3 or serviceable #2.

Then you don’t or haven’t seen him play much.
Great #3 ?
He is a very good 2
He’s a steady defender and can chip in offensively as well.
As much as I hated the drama here he will be missed.
I actually thought KO would drag this to the brink next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad