Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Myers for 5 years at $6M age 29-34 as UFA. Trouba at 7 years $8M age 25-32 1RFA 6UFA years. A tier above offensively, defensively, and stronger skater. You'd be coo coo ca cha to favor the Myers contract over the Trouba contract from a value stand point. This is fair market value buying up 6 UFA years.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Myers for 5 years at $6M age 29-34 as UFA. Trouba at 7 years $8M age 25-32 1RFA 6UFA years. A tier above offensively, defensively, and stronger skater. You'd be coo coo ca cha to favor the Myers contract over the Trouba contract from a value stand point. This is fair market value buying up 6 UFA years.
Nah...it resets the bar is all. He isn't worth that at the moment and tthe deal likely doesn't look good for a few years. I think he is decent and I'm sure the Rangers will try him out against all the first lines in the league,so he will likely be very good there. Comparisons are sketchy at best anyway...let's see if the gamble pays off.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
when has Rielly ever had a better season than Subbans Norris year, let alone 35% greater?

Rielly's best season was 35% better (points) than Subban's highest year before signing to $9 M per, as stated (and he still has a few more years to top that).

If 35% less production is worth 13% of the cap.....scary!

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
8 mil
wow
who is the rangers GM? don't tell me is that old dude
It's not sather anymore if that's who you meant by that old dude .

I wouldn't be too disgusted by his contract tho dmen were due for their contracts to start going up too. You can expect much worse being signed in the coming years

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Rielly's best season was 35% better (points) than Subban's highest year before signing to $9 M per, as stated (and he still has a few more years to top that).
But thats not true considering this last season there were far more goals

Rielly isnt as good as this season, just like the other hundred career years arent

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
But thats not true considering this last season there were far more goals

Rielly isnt as good as this season, just like the other hundred career years arent

Not that you are making any sense but let's say scoring went up 35% (which it obviously didn't), what's 13% of the cap in a few more years time?

Let's also keep in mind how Rielly's offense has tracked versus PK at the same ages throughout their career:

18 - 0 Subban 0 Rielly
19 - 0 Subban 27 Rielly
20 - 2 Subban 29 Rielly
21 - 38 Subban 36 Rielly
22 - 38 Subban 27 Rielly
23 - 53 Subban 52 Rielly
24 - 60 Subban 72 Rielly

Last edited:

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Not that you are making any sense but let's say scoring went up 35% (which it obviously didn't), what's 13% of the cap in a few more years time?

Let's also keep in mind how Rielly's offense has tracked versus PK at the same ages throughout their career:

18 - 0 Subban 0 Rielly
19 - 0 Subban 27 Rielly
20 - 2 Subban 29 Rielly
21 - 38 Subban 36 Rielly
22 - 38 Subban 27 Rielly
23 - 53 Subban 52 Rielly
24 - 60 Subban 72 Rielly
Im guessing you didn’t watch the NHL last year so Ill fill you in

Scoring was unsustainably high and out of the top-50 over 65% had career years

Does it make more sense now why Rielly’s anomaly of a season isnt as noteworthy as you think?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Its literally what everyone suspected the term would be at the time of the trade.

You either like the player or you don't, but the Rangers paid market value for the player.

If they didn't want this term, they wouldn't have made the trade. I'm just happy the player was actually serious about signing. He messed around with Winnipeg for years and probably should've been traded sooner.

I disliked him very much for this. I hope he makes me love him now. It's actually kind of crazy that this man is a NY Ranger with the posts I made about him during his contract squabbles.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Im guessing you didn’t watch the NHL last year so Ill fill you in

Scoring was unsustainably high and out of the top-50 over 65% had career years

Does it make more sense now why Rielly’s anomaly of a season isnt as noteworthy as you think?

I would also add that points are relative to teams. Not trying to discredit Rielly, but there was 3 players with more points than him on his own team, including one that had over 20 more points than him. This means he was playing on a very high scoring team.

Subban, when he won the Norris, was 1 point shy of his team's leader, despite missing more games. He was 2nd on his team the following year too, before signing his big contract.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Don’t let quantitive data that excludes context and is cherry picked for a certain argument* get in the way of reason.

What makes him more than a 2nd pairing guy? The fact that he excelled in all situations first pairing minutes and put up 50 points while doing so?

Is he worth 8 million? I don’t know, ask me in a few years when the cap goes up and lesser defenders get higher AAV’s.

He’ll come in and be the Rangers number one defender and he’s only 25 and they bought UFA years out. It is a little higher than I’d like? Yes. Do I understand why they did it? Yes. He’s probably making a million more than I’d like. Is that going to kill the Rangers if he continues to do what he did last year, which he has a chance to continue to do? Absolutely not.

Get over yourself.
Why are we asking you in a few years? He is the 5th highest paid defenseman right now. He isn't even close to the 5th best.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Its literally what everyone suspected the term would be at the time of the trade.

You either like the player or you don't, but the Rangers paid market value for the player.

If they didn't want this term, they wouldn't have made the trade. I'm just happy the player was actually serious about signing. He messed around with Winnipeg for years and probably should've been traded sooner.

I disliked him very much for this. I hope he makes me love him now. It's actually kind of crazy that this man is a NY Ranger with the posts I made about him during his contract squabbles.
The guy has a life outside of hockey , I don't see the problem that he didnt want to sign long term when his fiance is important to him and wants to live with her in the states .

The jets probably could have gotten more for him earlier but they had pretty good teams and it was probably worth keeping him to take the shot at the cup or whatever . But I don't blame him for just wanting to fulfill his rfa requirements and get on with his life .

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Knew this would get done, but like most I sure wasn’t expecting any sort of discount.

Still, it’s overpriced by a million or so. John Carlson makes 8 million per season and even with the age difference, I’d much rather have Carlson.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The past few years salary grew at a much higher rate than the cap. This is in line with the current market, but the current market is going to surely bring us another lockout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->