Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Jacob Trouba signs with the Rangers (7 years, $8M AAV)

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rangers fans: We're not overrating him, Trouba is a good #2 defenseman. That's what the going rate is. Soon #2 defensemen the world over will be making $8 million.

Also Rangers fans: Trouba is better than PK Subban.

I'd take Trouba and his contract over PK's. I'd say the Rangers and Devils are both two years away from being legit contenders. By that time Trouba will still be in his prime, who knows where PK is going to be at age 32, one year away from UFA.

It's really a no brainer.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Is Trouba consistant enough to be considered a top pair Dman? Sure he can play like a top pair guy on any given night but then play like a bottom pair guy the next night. Also there is so much pressure playing in NY and on top of that you know you have to carry the load on Defense. He's going to have to play 25 minutes a night. Now he did average almost 23 minutes a night last season so he could log alot of minutes. But if he and the team gets off to a bad start, that fanbase and Media could turn on him in a heartbeat. Trouba doesn't seem like one of those players that has thick skin.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'd take Trouba and his contract over PK's. I'd say the Rangers and Devils are both two years away from being legit contenders. By that time Trouba will still be in his prime, who knows where PK is going to be at age 32, one year away from UFA.

He'll be in Jersey and still better than Trouba. Trouba will be in New York assuming his then wife doesn't decide it's time for them to live somewhere else now.

It's really a no brainer.

Agree.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Looks like Trouba won.

Rangers wanted 7.5m and Trouba wanted 8m not a penny less.

The NY Rangers fans won. A decade plus long run of fun hockey, great playoffs and a SC shot and only an 18 month or so rebuild. Compare that to the shitshow rebuilds around the league and the absolute crap those fans have put up with and will keep on putting up with without any end in sight.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
He isn't but after this "stunt" Rangers pulled getting Trouba, He will be treated like he was.
Your "knowledge" is woefully outdated. Under Gorton that has absolutely not been the case otherwise Smith and Shattenkirk would have gotten very different ice time last season, and that's on a lottery team that was selling assets.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The NY Rangers fans won. A decade plus long run of fun hockey, great playoffs and a SC shot and only an 18 month or so rebuild. Compare that to the ****show rebuilds around the league and the absolute crap those fans have put up with and will keep on putting up with without any end in sight.
Yet you haven't won anything lol

Reactions: Eyeseeing

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
As a Wings fan, very happy all the trade talk never came together. Trouba is a great young player who still may not have yet hit his prime, but that's big money for a relatively unproven offensive leader on the back end.

Just because salaries are going up, doesn't mean the trend continues up forever. In 3-4 years this could be viewed as an overpayment... I personally don't believe the cap will continue to rise, it may regress eventually.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As a Wings fan, very happy all the trade talk never came together. Trouba is a great young player who still may not have yet hit his prime, but that's big money for a relatively unproven offensive leader on the back end.

Just because salaries are going up, doesn't mean the trend continues up forever. In 3-4 years this could be viewed as an overpayment... I personally don't believe the cap will continue to rise, it may regress eventually.
Idk if the cap will stagnate or whatever but I still think dmen will start getting paid more either way , they just needed a few of the top guys to get top forward money and itll bring the lower tiers up.

With doughty and ek both breaking 11 this year from the previous high of subban at 9 itll do that now.

Middle-low tier players will get squeezed on their half of the pie but whatever

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He's really not that good.

But, it's not like it's a contract that'll hamstring them either. Even if he doesn't get better than what he is that's a useful player to have for 7 years.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
He isn’t good enough right now to justify that kind of money, but no one has seen him in NY. He could end up being worth it.

We shall see.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Seems to be where contracts are heading these days. Not a massive overpayment, but will need to elevate his game and consistency to be worth it.
Big and young with time to live up to it as well. Could be a bargain in 3 years even

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Im guessing you didn’t watch the NHL last year so Ill fill you in

Scoring was unsustainably high and out of the top-50 over 65% had career years

Does it make more sense now why Rielly’s anomaly of a season isnt as noteworthy as you think?

Did scoring increase by 35%? If not, given we have seven years worth of comparable data between two players, tell me what conclusions you reach. See I am throwing you a bone here and pretending scoring went up 35% (which it did not). I'll even ignore it entirely and go with the rest of the evidence. It leads you to the exact same spot: Rielly is going to get paid big based on Subban and Trouba.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not that you are making any sense but let's say scoring went up 35% (which it obviously didn't), what's 13% of the cap in a few more years time?

Let's also keep in mind how Rielly's offense has tracked versus PK at the same ages throughout their career:

18 - 0 Subban 0 Rielly
19 - 0 Subban 27 Rielly
20 - 2 Subban 29 Rielly
21 - 38 Subban 36 Rielly
22 - 38 Subban 27 Rielly
23 - 53 Subban 52 Rielly
24 - 60 Subban 72 Rielly

Your numbers are screwed up. When Subban was 23, he scored 38 points in 42 games in the lockout season, which led all defensemen in scoring, and won the Norris. Two things that Rielly still hasn’t done or really come all that close to doing at the age of 24.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Trouba's contract will be surpassed by a number of defensemen probably this summer, such as McAvoy and Provorov. And Barrie, Pietrangelo and Chabot next summer. Spurgeon and Krug will be up there too.

This is just the price of keeping talent. Some say "typical Rangers" as if this is a bad thing.

Last edited:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
He'll be in Jersey and still better than Trouba. Trouba will be in New York assuming his then wife doesn't decide it's time for them to live somewhere else now.

Agree.

Lmao, wow. As I said previously in this thread, for a team that has one (ONE!!) playoff win in the last seven years
Devils fans have been extremely obnoxious with their over confidence the last few weeks.

You all might be in for a rude awakening this season when you finally realize that the PK Subban you traded for truly is seven years removed from winning his Norris and has been dumped by two other teams for a reason. And Taylor Hall's one outlier season was exactly that, one outlier season and is outscored by Panarin (if he even finishes the season with the Devils).

And lastly Kakko blows Hughes out of the water and the dawning realization that you were all correct to be increasingly terrified about passing on him after every goal he scored at the Worlds

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Cap friendly is showing Beleskey, McKegg, Nieves on the roster and Kravtsov in the minors. As the cap reflects on their site now, we have 13 signed forwards, kravtsov in the minors, and Buch and Lemieux as RFA. This is 16 players. So cut Beleskey McKegg and Nieves and were just under $2mill under the cap.

Lettieri is AHL fodder.
the others, yeah
but nieves is too productive and too cheap to just cut

trade a coupla vets

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Stylistically he's much different than both and also younger than both at the time of acquisition.

So yeah, I'd say there is a pretty big difference than Yandle or Shattenkirk. If he ages like Yandle this will be a fantastic deal.

Yandle makes his money on the pp, Trouba outside of the pp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad