Proposal: NYR-EDM immediate gain for potential upside

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I am open to polite discussion as to what you think is fair, but the level of premium for Broberg will not go into crazy massive overcompensation.
Somewhere there is a line and with an open mind we can see if we can agree to find where that is.
Anything that includes DeAngelo will require the Rangers adding a crazy massive overcompensation.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The crux of the argument that most non oiler fans are not getting is that the OIlers do not have problem scoring in the top 6. It is the bottom 6

the second part of the problem is oilers depth

Next year Broberg replaces Larsson and Holloway is 2 or 3 years done the line.

Another problem is that both Yamamoto and Nuge need new contracts and pay raises add Buch into the situation?

Reactions: bernmeister

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yes Neal does have negative value and we would pay for someone to eat that cap-hit, but it's really not that onerous cause this season is a shortened one we can just ride out the remaining 3 months of the season with him and then right around the corner it's buy-out time. So his $5.75M is a pro-rata 3 month burden and then it's a $1.917M burden for 4 years.

I just don't see the desire to be rid of Neal's contract or Buchnevich himself being appealing enough to make us consider moving Broberg or Holloway who is just killing it in the NCAA right now.

Reactions: bernmeister

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Hilariously bad for Edmonton. Here take our top prospects for your problem child and a 25 year old who hasn't hit 50 points and I'll sneak in Neal (who we'd never trade if it meant attaching said prospects) to make it seem like the value is somehow even.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes Neal does have negative value and we would pay for someone to eat that cap-hit, but it's really not that onerous cause this season is a shortened one we can just ride out the remaining 3 months of the season with him and then right around the corner it's buy-out time. So his $5.75M is a pro-rata 3 month burden and then it's a $1.917M burden for 4 years.

I just don't see the desire to be rid of Neal's contract or Buchnevich himself being appealing enough to make us consider moving Broberg or Holloway who is just killing it in the NCAA right now.
I keep hoping we find a way to get Seattle to take Neal... not sure what we'd have to give them but that is another avenue to explore.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Bern - what honestly were you expecting here? An overwhelming number of fans approving the proposal?

Oilers fans have repeatedly shot down the very idea of trading Broberg, especially for the numerous packages you’ve proposed.

At some point you have to just accept the fact that he’s unavailable and move on. (And not to Seider, lol. You’ve barked up that tree too many times as well).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In general the team with no cap space is taking the cap dump while the Oilers which have tons of cap space beginning next offseason are paying to dump cap?
Deangelo is almost a free buyout for Rangers
Klefbom may never play again and Broberg is his replacement

We do. We do prefer to keep Neal. For all his warts he’s still a valued piece for us. Capable of 20 goals and a great net front presence on our top PP. He trains with McDavid and is seen as a leader in the room. Every team in the league has a overpaid veteran. We have 25 million in cap coming up and will be breaking guys like Broberg into the lineup on entry level deals. There’s no pressing need to dump James Neal.

The two bolded elements make a difference.

My impression was that Klefbom is hoping to return late this year. Howev, you are now saying he may be out longer than that, possibly permanently.
If that is the case, then I do agree that he is worth more to Oil than in trade return.

As to Neal, there is no denying that a Deangelo -- less $ and term and better buyout -- is more advantageous to have in lieu of Neal. However, if Oil are willing to eat the cost of buying him out and that is cheaper than the cost of moving him in trade, that needs to be acknowledged.

EDM fans will understand that with Neal being peddled since after his initial good season, there is a perception that a trade was preferable to a buyout.
But things change.

-------------
We could all quibble about various aspects of this thread, but life is too short.

For reason of the bold establishing a new sense of priorities for Oil, OFFER WITHDRAWN.

Thanks to all who contributed constructive feedback.

Everyone else, take your pot shots while you can.

What that means is a story for another time...

peace out

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Rather just buyout TDA in the summer than do this.

Also Rangers shouldn't be moving Buch.

no chance in hell that the Oilers move Broberg or Holloway for that package, whether or not they have a chance to get rid of Neal ! the Oilers would say a big NO to a deal like this and DeAngelo with his history is not the type of player the Oilers want on their roster !! o_O

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
As to Neal, there is no denying that a Deangelo -- less $ and term and better buyout -- is more advantageous to have in lieu of Neal. However, if Oil are willing to eat the cost of buying him out and that is cheaper than the cost of moving him in trade, that needs to be acknowledged.

I think what you are missing in this is that Neal is currently a viable roster player for the Oilers, so there is no need to buy him out. Trading for ADA would kinda make sense in a way if a buyout of Neal was immanent, yet that is not the case so we would rather keep Neal then trade for the headcase that is ADA

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
The two bolded elements make a difference.

My impression was that Klefbom is hoping to return late this year. Howev, you are now saying he may be out longer than that, possibly permanently.
If that is the case, then I do agree that he is worth more to Oil than in trade return.

EDM fans will understand that with Neal being peddled since after his initial good season, there is a perception that a trade was preferable to a buyout.
But things change.

-------------
We could all quibble about various aspects of this thread, but life is too short.

For reason of the bold establishing a new sense of priorities for Oil, OFFER WITHDRAWN.

Thanks to all who contributed constructive feedback.

Everyone else, take your pot shots while you can.

What that means is a story for another time...

peace out

No worries
Klefbom was not able to do normal things around the house from degeneration on his shoulder without pain. His surgery is not the normal “shoulder” surgery you hear. There’s a much higher chance than normal shoulder surgery that he just can’t play, and hopefully can enjoy his life without pain.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
forgot to comment on the bold
I demonstrated how value of 2 2nds is established.

Just giving Oil option on mid 1st vs two 2nds
I'm glad he's doing well at college level, but still a ways from NHL. Also, originally projected as possible C, thought I heard now it looks more like he is strictly a W.

Holloway is not a dealbreaker here, we'll take 2 picks
Holloway has only played C in college this year

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Wow. I’ve read some pretty bad proposals over the years on here, but this definitely takes the cake. So you want the Oilers to give up a recent top 10 pick with top 4 upside + a top 15 pick, who was just recently nominated for Hobey Baker and is scoring at 1.63ppg pace in the NCAA. For a defenceman who just cleared waivers and a forward who’s career high in points doesn’t even match the supposed “cap dump” the Oilers are throwing in, who just scored 20 goals last year?

I understand Neal has a bad contract. But his negative value isn’t worth nearly that much. If you think Deangelo has value right now, considering the team that just signed him to a 4.8/year contract would rather have him in the minors, you’re delusional. Enough with the garbage proposals.

Stop and think next time before you create trade proposal threads that will never happen.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And Dyan Holloway in case you missed that. I see what you’re saying though that Broberg alone is worth more than that if I read it right. I’d consider it if it was Broberg alone, I like Buchnevich.

As for the OP — **** no, Holloway is going to be an absolute mainstay on our roster.

He’s absolutely shredding the NCAA apart right now.

Zero interest in a locker room destroyer in DeAngelo either unless he agrees to undergo serious work with a psychiatrist on a couple of times a week basis to figure out what the **** is wrong with him. I believe in second chances but he’s got some issues to work out, way too gifted of a player to piss all this talent away.

Holloway isn’t shredding the ncaa. He’s a second liner on a pretty good team where he’s scored a handful of goals in his sophomore year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Holloway isn’t shredding the ncaa. He’s a second liner on a pretty good team where he’s scored a handful of goals in his sophomore year.

I suspect you're right but I am willing to give Oil fans benefit of the doubt. I only wanted it noted that somewhere I thought I heard someone on a tv interview say they like him although he now projects as a W, not a C, which slightly lowers the value. He's got legit speed, some but not great size, and we will see as we move onward.

I just wanted fair value for the extra yr on Neal's contract, the immediate lesser picks now for a pick later, and some thing vs inclusion of Buch.
Did not have to be Holloway.
However, if Rangers can't repurpose that into Broberg as a base, we should sell those assets elsewhere.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
"Oilers are not taking TDA, and they need to keep their youth and hit on some of them."
1. they could use him immediately, but my premise here as explained is mo about $$$ and expediency of jettisoning Neal.

Also Buch + Deangelo are mid 20s so they are getting known players. so sure they need to keep youth, but they are getting 2 young players for one.

Holloway = option in lieu of picks

"Maybe you would get one of them in a deal, not both."
Fine.
A smaller deal NY giving up less and no Holloway, but Broberg to NY is fine.

"Rangers are not taking Neal's deal, .."
They should do it IF IF IF IF it is ultimately profitable.

"...and if they deal Buch, it won't be attached to TDA to boost value."
Again, if ultimately profitable, should be considered.

"Seattle is also not taking Neal unless there is a 1st attached. No thanks."
Agree not to send SEA a 1st.
Don't think it will take a 1st.
I could see they take Neal, then down to 2 yrs remaining for 2 mid level picks and 3 mid level prospects, which = affordable.

"Also from the Rangers POV, we have our kids. We really don't need anymore kids."
No sorry, as long as there is both a hard cap and no loophole work arounds, we can always use more kids to = max flexibility in managing roster to comply w/salary cap.

That is reality which cannot be denied.
First of all Buch<<Broberg and if dumping Neal to Seattle is going to be less then a 1st why wouldn’t they just wait until then to trade him??

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s a terrible proposal for Edmonton on the whole but reading the reactions I’m beginning to think Buch is becoming one of the more underrated wingers in hockey. Tall, rangy and skilled he’s only 25 and has increased his scoring rate each year in the league and he looks like he’s made yet another leap this year to a legit first line winger, averaging 20 minutes a night and without question the Rangers best forward thus far outside Panarin.

His contract isn’t any more a problem than it is for any other talented young RFA - he’s going to get a significant raise based on a significant increase in his play and importance.

If the Rangers did decide to pivot because of their depth in young wingers, the interest in a 25 year old who has improved every season and looks like a legit first line option now would be extremely high. I’m no Rangers fan but in a rush to destroy the OP’s nonsensical deal, Buch is getting a short shrift here for sure.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

This is a joke right?

21 points in his last 8 games.

2.6+ PPG isn’t shredding it? If that isn’t shredding it, then what is? He’s doing this while play excellent defensive hockey.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad